Best Asmus Middle Earth 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jal76

Super Freak
Reaction score
As I am just beginning to build my Asmus LOTR collection and am still mapping out which figures to track down, older versus newer...I am curious as to what the general consensus is around the best figure released so far...
It looks like later this year that honor will more than likely go to Crown Series Gandalf or maybe Galadriel will end up being a spoiler...but of the currently released figures what is the high point?
If you had to showcase one figure to demonstrate to someone the heights that Asmus has so far reached with this line...which one would it be?

I was sensing that too from reading around a bit. Have not seen Gimli in hand yet. I also feel like I keep hearing great things about Thorin...the pictures and video that I have seen seem to rival Gimli to me, but once again have not seen either in hand.

Gimli and Thorin are phenomenal, I own the latest.
I also own Aragorn (1st version) which is great, especially if you somehow can hair his hs.
Alternatively you can find his haired hs from the slim version (it was sold on its own too).
1st version has a nice base for a diorama pose, but I don't know how much it will cost you now to get him.
Best wait for Aragorn Helm's Deep version.
I also own Bilbo, he's nice not great and bought him by ''accident'' for half the price he was selling.

Grishnak'. Simply a 'beautiful' ugly figure. Well underated.
Gimli would be next in line.
Hope the future Uruks come out as strong contenders too!

Based on the figures that I own I would say Thorin is the best one (so far at least), great sculpt, fantastic tailoring & accessories.

Gimli is also a pretty solid figure and if you aren't bothered by the hairline, Theoden as well - those would be my other picks (I can't comment on the older figures, as I don't own any - was late to the line)

It's likely that once released though Gandalf the Grey and/or Galadriel will take the title. :)

The Witch-King (original black robes/spiked helm version) is pretty impressive.

I own most of them. And without hesitating: Grishnak. Perfect figure. Completely underated.
I just hope new orks will appear on the horizont...

Honestly I think this line is at its very best when displayed as a collection. There’s no one character that totally sums up the LOTR trilogy- no one member of the fellowship that doesn’t immediately look better when paired with any other and the whole group in a line with the various heights, outfit designs and colours makes the display way more than the sum of its parts.

However, Gimli immediately came to mind as the pinnacle of Asmus’ quality which then took a minor drop and levelled out afterwards although it looks like they’re back on the rise. Faramir, HD Aragorn and Galadriel are all shaping up to be excellent. Crown Gandalf is a difference category because if he isn’t the most impressive figure he’s essentially failed in the mission statement and purpose of the crown series.

Grishnakh is actually a great runner up. The MoS and Witch King have amazing shelf presence but there are enough areas for improvement to keep them in the mid card. Deluxe Legolas is actually always way up on my list. People hate the hair but there’s practically nothing else to complain about and that troll head is glorious. He demands to be posed on that base.
C4DF4037-C6EB-4407-82FF-E16B6547D66E.jpg
I think the worst figure is easily Guritz and yet I’m still glad I have him and the Mordor banner he comes with to stand by Gothmog. Two not so great figures enhancing each other by virtue of close proximity.

Overall Grishnak, in my opinion. Everything is perfect.

Followed by Gimli and then Boromir.

As for those with sculpted hair, Frodo wins. The v1 slim is amazing.

My favorite though is Slim Aragorn but I bought all the accessions from the first release/sideshow cloak to have more of the ranger vibe.

I?m sure in a few months the winner will be the new GtG though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grishnak is fantastic. I forgot to mention him. Also the "early" release of Slim Frodo. (sorry, Wor-Gar...) I just found it to be a miniature Elijah Woods right out of the box.

I say if you are starting to collect LOTR, besides Gandalf and Galadriel, I would get Gimli. It's a great figure. Also, I doubt Asmus will make another Gimli. They are already working on another Aragorn. I really hope they do another Legolas. Asmus has been improving their craft over the years so their next iteration of the same characters should be better.

Mouth of Sauron with Steed gets my vote but just a beard hair behind is Gimli. Asmus did an amazing job with the faux hair on Gimli.

I have been on the fence about Mouth of Sauron Slim because the steed really seems essential to me...where would you rate it as a figure without the steed?

Based on the figures that I own I would say Thorin is the best one (so far at least), great sculpt, fantastic tailoring & accessories.

Gimli is also a pretty solid figure and if you aren't bothered by the hairline, Theoden as well - those would be my other picks (I can't comment on the older figures, as I don't own any - was late to the line)

It's likely that once released though Gandalf the Grey and/or Galadriel will take the title. :)

I keep coming back to Thorin...in all of the videos and pictures this looks like a truly impressive figure.

I don’t know if I can pick just one. In my opinion most of them are very good. They all have an issue or two but most are minor to me. I do find that Bilbo is one of my favorites. I love the accessories he came with that increases the display options. All the ones with the bases are impressive to me as well. Saruman with the palantir, Legolas with the troll, Aragorn with the steps, Tharnduil with the ruins and Gandalf with his ledge and all great displays. Even though the Nazgul have their issues if you display one on the horse it’s very impressive. It’s easier for me to pick out the weakest than the best. Eowyn and Taurriel are really dated now and both Sam’s head sculpts may be the worst in the line. The earlier figure also had more body issues. I have every Middle Earth figure they have released so far and do not regret buying any of them.

I have a particular point of view. I consider Asmus makes figures you have to finish by yourself. So it depends if you want to spend some time on the figure, and if you have the abilities to make small or big changes. For Gimli, Grishnak, Boromir and Thorin, you have almost nothing to do, they come excellent out of the box. For Naguls, twilight Witchking, Gothmog, Guritz, etc, you will have to futz a little but no big challenge. Then you have the figures that need a rehair, I didn't like Bilbo very much with his plastic helmet but he's incredibly lifelike when rehaired. Legolas, Eomer, Theoden are quite good figures, but with a good rehair they are absolutely amazing figures. Same thing for the Hobbits, Aragorn, etc... It's surprising how good rooted hair can bring up the likeness. But it takes some serious skills. So, it's up to you !
I agree with one point, they look better when displayed together. :)

I don?t know if I can pick just one. In my opinion most of them are very good. They all have an issue or two but most are minor to me. I do find that Bilbo is one of my favorites. I love the accessories he came with that increases the display options. All the ones with the bases are impressive to me as well. Saruman with the palantir, Legolas with the troll, Aragorn with the steps, Tharnduil with the ruins and Gandalf with his ledge and all great displays. Even though the Nazgul have their issues if you display one on the horse it?s very impressive. It?s easier for me to pick out the weakest than the best. Eowyn and Taurriel are really dated now and both Sam?s head sculpts may be the worst in the line. The earlier figure also had more body issues. I have every Middle Earth figure they have released so far and do not regret buying any of them.

My first was Saruman and and I did not intend to get any others. Just my favorite character to represent my over-all love of the film series. The overall set with the palantir was so impressive that here I am now! I am a huge fan of my Luxury edition Legolas...the shelf presence with him posed on the troll makes him one of my favorite over-all figures in any line.

Back