Should Buyer or Seller Pay the Fees for Paypal?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auel

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sent funds to purchase something and the seller told me to pay for the fees that is being deducted.

Is this fair?

I think the seller should account for the fees when they price something.

Dunno whether 'fair' comes into it... but seller should be upfront about who pays the fees. If the seller doesn't explicitly say that the buyer pays the fees then it's reasonable to assume that the fees have been factored into the asking price.

If a seller didn't say upfront that the buyer pays the fees then I'd be a bit irritated when asked to pay them after sending payment.

Back when I sold I did that but then again the price almost always ended up coming down anyway. 95% of the time I'd get offers rather than someone paying my asking price outright so factoring the paypal fees into said asking price ended up moot.

I agree though, if a seller hasn't mentioned paypal fees at all it is natural to assume he or she is going to cover them. So to then be asked to pay them after you've already sent the main payment is a bit crappy.

Selling fees, and or cc transaction processing fees are a business/sellers expense. They can build these fees into the price of their products so that they make net profit but they should not be passed on to the customer as a separate tax or or line item. Your dealing with a moron seller, all he had to due is list the price of the item a few dollars more to cover fees. He is obviously not accustomed to customary business dealings. Its sounds to me like he didnt even consider fees and was like oops i sold this for less then I wanted too you, but thats his mistake all you owe him is the agreed upon sale price. Personally id just back out of the transaction after he changed the terms, he created a new offer that you can now refuse, the originally agreement is no longer a binding contract

Back