Superman The Movie - Palitoy / Kenner inspired cardbacks / PAINTED FIGURE PHOTOS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cking

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've spent some time during lockdown working on some artwork for an upcoming project which is going to be a custom 3.75 inch Christopher Reeve Superman figure. For this, I intend to mount the figure onto my Palitoy inspired artwork. I wanted something that would well and truly fit in with THE must have figures from the time period - namely, the 3.75 inch Star Wars figures! Any comments welcomed.

The figure itself is going to be modeled in the computer and printed out with resin 3D printing. Should make a really nice display piece I'm hoping!

Thanks,

Chris

Carded - Copy.jpg

Palitoy-Superman The Movie Card-Front and Back - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks for custom 3.75 inch Superman fig

Simply outstanding!!

Re: Superman The Movie - Palitoy inspired cardbacks for custom 3.75 inch Superman fig

Loving it! Hope you?ll be selling some!

Just a thing. Shouldn?t the peg hole be centered? Because on a peg, it will be askew.

Peg hole location copied from an old Palitoy Star Wars cardback. I thought that too but if you look at the cards, they're off-center as shown.
Here's a little comparison that I did to see how it fitted in with the other cards from that era.

Comparison2.jpg

Just a thing. Shouldn?t the peg hole be centered? Because on a peg, it will be askew.

Last edited:

I really love the card back and the coming soon in Superman II! Brilliant!

Weight distribution perhaps so they would hang evenly on the hooks? I looked at a couple of 2008-ish carded 25th anniversary GI Joes I still have which have the bubble over on the right, and the peg hole is in roughly the same spot on the right

In any event, that is an epic card design! I would love to see the figure when done!

it won't because the figure is on the left side too.

I'm thinking that this Superman 2 front photo may be better. (Slightly different cardback on the Superman 2 back too).
Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back-Option1.jpg

The 2nd one (standing) front and 2nd one rear. The one with the toy zodd looks out of place.

Thanks for your valuable feedback guys. I agree about the toy Zod being a bit misplaced as it's the only toy figure photo on there. I'll update that on the Superman The Movie card so it's the same as the Zod photo on the Superman 2 card back.
One last one for the Superman 2 front. This "feels" like the sort of photo that Kenner / Palitoy used. (Including the slightly annoying way that they used to place the name tag over the head a bit. Ha ha).

Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back-Option1a.jpg

Those card back designs are pretty sweet. I love the first 2 Superman Movies.

I’m really digging this! Please, make this available. Why not make a crowdfunding? Sure you’d have some success.

Sure, I'll make this available if the figure turns out ok. However, my past experience with custom runs like this is that only a handful of people want to pay the price that it ends up being (after getting the 3d prints done, painted and the cards printed and bubbles made - it will not be cheap like an "off the shelf" action figure). I'm doing this mainly for myself as it's something I've always wished they had made back when the movies were released. Like I said, I will make them available to anyone who wants one but I fear that it won't be very many people when the final costs are worked out. I'm not really on any social media, so crowdfunding would be difficult for me to organise.

I’m really digging this! Please, make this available. Why not make a crowdfunding? Sure you’d have some success.

What are people's thoughts about how to do the cape? Should it be sculpted so the drape and folds can look correct, or should it be a vinyl or fabric material like the capes on the old Kenner Star Wars figures? i'm still trying to decide whether to make the figure have 5 points of articulation, or whether to keep it solid, non-posable since it's going to be displayed inside the plastic bubble that will be stuck to the card.

Vinyl would look on par with the era. Just out of curiosity, what do you think the price would be? A ballpark estimation.

Just the card printing and getting a custom bubble produced is going to cost at least 20 Pounds Sterling.
3D printing the figure could be another 20 - 30 Pounds Sterling to get it at good quality. No idea about paintjob price currently. None of those prices include the cost of commissioning the 3D computer artist to create the figure model and get it ready for printing. Like I said. The cost will be pretty expensive for a "toy" and probably comparable with the cost of Sideshow's 12 inch figures. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has connections or ideas about how to make this more economic for others to be able to get one too.

Vinyl would look on par with the era. Just out of curiosity, what do you think the price would be? A ballpark estimation.

Depending on the quality of the paint job you’re expecting (I’m good, but not HT good), I’d be happy to do the painting for free for all the run if it helps. You wouldn’t sell that many anyway and if we’re going retro feel, it’s got to be simple.

For the bubble, there are some plastic sheets (I don’t know where to buy them though) that you can place over an existing shape and shape using a heat gun, so you could probably cut the price by doing it this way.

There is also this option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-REPLACE...269945?hash=item3d9dbacc39:g:2wMAAOSwa6heS~4n

Last edited:

Thanks for your valuable feedback guys. I agree about the toy Zod being a bit misplaced as it's the only toy figure photo on there. I'll update that on the Superman The Movie card so it's the same as the Zod photo on the Superman 2 card back.
One last one for the Superman 2 front. This "feels" like the sort of photo that Kenner / Palitoy used. (Including the slightly annoying way that they used to place the name tag over the head a bit. Ha ha).

View attachment 486861

The original Superman II front looks better. the one with smiling face.

Back