Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Glory and Splendor of Classical and Ancient Warriors

I love all things historical and classical, but there's no one place to rule them all, or a not mostly dead thread devoted to a one-off release, so I'm starting this thread devoted to all those figures so I can see everyone else's ancient original and custom figures, your ancient displays, your sixpack ab poses, the news from all the realm on classical and ancient figures, their Hollywood counterparts, etc.

I'm very much looking forward to Huoyu's new Aquilifer which I've got on preorder, and very very tempted to get the Persians from Hengtoys, just weighing space issues. Also very tempted by the Coomodel Hercules and Ares to cannibalize them and use their parts, including maybe reusing the bodies for some gladiators that need some work. KP's Greeks development teaser looks fantastic. Can't wait to see what they release as I'm a huge fan of what they've done. There are some ancient Japanese and Chinese figures out there that I don't know anything about, but the costumes and detailing look incredible.

As for me, I picked up a ton of KP figures and now, during the pandemic lockdown, am finally putting them in a mostly acceptable display state. I've been working on exorcising the demons of pleather in lieu of real leather but haven't yet delved into pterges or footwear replacements. Here's KP's Marcus Nonius Macrinus in his toga. I watched a video to make sure I wrapped it properly, along with a Praetorian guard holding his fasces, clad in city wear. I replaced the helm's red carpet for white feathers, which are a little out there, but I love them.

Show me what you've got and what you are working on!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here is my Roman General. KP used Augustus' muscle cuirass on the Prima Porta statue as the model for their own, so I've got my General in a similar pose, though I've added some decorative greaves from the Praetorian set. I saw on onesixthwarriors that Sankari repainted (fantastic!) his muscle cuirass in the polychrome restoration style, and I'm dying to get my hands on another to give this a whirl. From articles I've read, it seems the Terragona replica may be a bit whimsical in its coloration as scant evidence for the actual colors used is left, but I wanted to leave this one in the bronze and silver style that I repainted from the KP original. I also took some clear flat acrylic and tamed his wild fringe so it looks like gravity has returned to Rome. Ideally, I'd like to get another toga for him here but might be overkill with the cape. I think a recut purple fabric might work better than the original, though, because the embroidery probably stiffens it quite a bit. But I did find the attached photo by Vettius that has the toga draped quite nicely on his custom.

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    I think all of my pics got lost in the photobucket debacle, but I'll see if I have anything to contribute.

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Looking forward to seeing them!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    I know there is a dead thread for it but I just put Achilles on a M33 and am getting ready to weather and color it. I think it turned out very nice. Love this time period and magnificent pageantry of the outfits. Hector!

"I know H.T.M.L. - How to meet ladies."

He looks spectacular, especially love the pose. I would have thought the M33 would look too thick but it looks just perfect on your Achilles. Well done!

©Fly, All rights reserved
    Feedback
    27 (100%)

As gin007 mentioned, I too was surprised to see that the M33 is thinner than what I expected it to be. It really is THE perfect body to use for your Archilles figure.

I've checked on Ebay and seen the pics of the M33 and it just looks so wide compared to how it looks on your Archilles.

I'm considering picking up one to use on a custom "Gladiator" (Russell Crowe) figure.
    -------------------------------------------------
    A good discussion is like a miniskirt; Short enough to maintain interest and long enough to cover the subject.

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Anyone that uses Detolfs, will a figure fit when on a 1/6 horse? I’m considering getting the HY Imperial general and horse.
    Or, does anyone have an ACI Gladiator Crowe arena version for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by smiles_hope View Post
    Anyone that uses Detolfs, will a figure fit when on a 1/6 horse? I?m considering getting the HY Imperial general and horse.
    Or, does anyone have an ACI Gladiator Crowe arena version for sale?
    I've got a different 1/6 horse, not the imperial general one, but I just checked and mine would fit in the detolf only at an angle, and a rider is cut off at about the shoulders.