The Glory and Splendor of Classical and Ancient Warriors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gin007

Super Freak
Reaction score
I love all things historical and classical, but there's no one place to rule them all, or a not mostly dead thread devoted to a one-off release, so I'm starting this thread devoted to all those figures so I can see everyone else's ancient original and custom figures, your ancient displays, your sixpack ab poses, the news from all the realm on classical and ancient figures, their Hollywood counterparts, etc.

I'm very much looking forward to Huoyu's new Aquilifer which I've got on preorder, and very very tempted to get the Persians from Hengtoys, just weighing space issues. Also very tempted by the Coomodel Hercules and Ares to cannibalize them and use their parts, including maybe reusing the bodies for some gladiators that need some work. KP's Greeks development teaser looks fantastic. Can't wait to see what they release as I'm a huge fan of what they've done. There are some ancient Japanese and Chinese figures out there that I don't know anything about, but the costumes and detailing look incredible.

As for me, I picked up a ton of KP figures and now, during the pandemic lockdown, am finally putting them in a mostly acceptable display state. I've been working on exorcising the demons of pleather in lieu of real leather but haven't yet delved into pterges or footwear replacements. Here's KP's Marcus Nonius Macrinus in his toga. I watched a video to make sure I wrapped it properly, along with a Praetorian guard holding his fasces, clad in city wear. I replaced the helm's red carpet for white feathers, which are a little out there, but I love them.

Show me what you've got and what you are working on!

f74104154dafca9dba2a125b3bb1034e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here is my Roman General. KP used Augustus' muscle cuirass on the Prima Porta statue as the model for their own, so I've got my General in a similar pose, though I've added some decorative greaves from the Praetorian set. I saw on onesixthwarriors that Sankari repainted (fantastic!) his muscle cuirass in the polychrome restoration style, and I'm dying to get my hands on another to give this a whirl. From articles I've read, it seems the Terragona replica may be a bit whimsical in its coloration as scant evidence for the actual colors used is left, but I wanted to leave this one in the bronze and silver style that I repainted from the KP original. I also took some clear flat acrylic and tamed his wild fringe so it looks like gravity has returned to Rome. Ideally, I'd like to get another toga for him here but might be overkill with the cape. I think a recut purple fabric might work better than the original, though, because the embroidery probably stiffens it quite a bit. But I did find the attached photo by Vettius that has the toga draped quite nicely on his custom.
be6d92153410ae87479e0208574f5e29.jpg
250c1f717fb9b22cf632cc7ca9296695.jpg
bcd1e585db82ead5041d11744fbf911b.jpg
a38c2671670ac8b6630c42e200b69c29.jpg

Love ancient figures!
I think all of my pics got lost in the photobucket debacle, but I'll see if I have anything to contribute.

Looking forward to seeing them!

I know there is a dead thread for it but I just put Achilles on a M33 and am getting ready to weather and color it. I think it turned out very nice. Love this time period and magnificent pageantry of the outfits. Hector!

n86dYJc.jpg

DsKMrYV.jpg

He looks spectacular, especially love the pose. I would have thought the M33 would look too thick but it looks just perfect on your Achilles. Well done!

Hokietwo, that figure looks amazing.

As gin007 mentioned, I too was surprised to see that the M33 is thinner than what I expected it to be. It really is THE perfect body to use for your Archilles figure.

I've checked on Ebay and seen the pics of the M33 and it just looks so wide compared to how it looks on your Archilles.

I'm considering picking up one to use on a custom "Gladiator" (Russell Crowe) figure.

Anyone that uses Detolfs, will a figure fit when on a 1/6 horse? I’m considering getting the HY Imperial general and horse.
Or, does anyone have an ACI Gladiator Crowe arena version for sale?

Anyone that uses Detolfs, will a figure fit when on a 1/6 horse? I?m considering getting the HY Imperial general and horse.
Or, does anyone have an ACI Gladiator Crowe arena version for sale?
I've got a different 1/6 horse, not the imperial general one, but I just checked and mine would fit in the detolf only at an angle, and a rider is cut off at about the shoulders.
4b142ca00d36606b89864cf361fa963a.jpg

I havent seen the Haoyu Centurion announced on here, but maybe I missed it. Is anyone getting him?

I'm not digging the white (maybe he looks too clean), but I'm a bit of a sucker for new body armor and I like that they are spicing up the display stand base.
9a7a7bc4c9410256346a28b9ee621e56.jpg

Yeah, I think I posted it a while ago...
It's a really nice looking figure, and very close to Ben-Hur's Mesala. If funds were better I think I'd get it.

I have been working on my KP Aquilifer. I got him used from Germany a year or two ago with the old KP centurion.

The pleather was beginning to show some age and when I tightened the throngs on his boots, the pleather gave way, so I remade his pturges, belt, and boots in lambskin leather. I also softened the orange lionhead into a more golden color and gave it a blond crest in front of the black crest to match a real lion's crest. I repainted the eagle standard in a krylon gold that should be the gold standard (haha) and put the Legio number on the standard. I also added the veteran's medallions from the recent Haoyu release.

The next one I'm working on is Arturius the older KP Centurion. I've already remade his belt and sword strap in leather but I've got to replace his pleather pterges as well and refashion his veterans medal holder in leather, which is a bit of a chore and figure out what to use for the Centurion crest as I'm not a fan of KP's red carpet. Even so, these are such beautiful figures and I'm glad I was able to get my hands on them.
252b428c09594986c600287fea173469.jpg

POPTOYS has announced the Armor Legend covering three chapters: the Era of Europa War, the Legend of Warring States and Fight for Hegemony. The characters include femle ancient European knights, mercenaries, Japanese samurai, Ronin, Chinese generals and warriors.
1255e6d15248fa19c15eb0d93b5af229.jpg

Spoiler: these are both female figs which I find a bit baffling (although I'm all for more female figs that aren't just boob eye candy for the fellas).

The sculpt reminds me of Leelee Sobieski, which could be an in-joke since she was the other Jeanne d'Arc in 1999. (I love their two Jovovich Jeanne figures).

This pair will be burned at the stake as well for wearing men's clothing.

However, I wish they'd make some more historically acceptable figures. The CooModel part of Pop tries, but Pop seems to stick to movies and fantasy.

Interesting! You guys are always better at placing sculpts than I am!

I just finished the work on upgrading my KP Centurion (Artorius Lucius Castus). I replaced all his pleather bits except this time I didn't redo the boots because they aren't falling apart on me yet. He's joined my aquilifer in a triumph display in my Detolf, and my next project is turning the newer KP Centurion into an Optio to go along side them. I did forget to put the knife on the other side so his sword could go on the left :::sigh::: oh well.

I also got the Haoyu legionary Lucius to go with the ACI Titus for my HBO Romans (I wasn't sold on the ACI Lucius sculpt so I'm pleased Haoyu took a new crack at Lucius), which I've got to figure out how to pose since Titus has the screaming face. If anyone has posed Titus, I'd love to see. Or if you've posed Lucius (either version) with Titus.
d5237c00df8b9f5fc99975cb0b40543d.jpg
e530c890e49d372760a95db6f7bf2588.jpg

Back