Switching from 1/12 to 1/6 - question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulx

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm thinking to sell all my 1/12 collection and start to collect 1/6.
Mostly because I'm fed up with expensive 1/12 toys like mafex batman or figuarts star wars (70-80 €)
Sometimes I have to buy the same figure twice and I'm still not happy.
Second I have never really liked the 3d face print technology.
1/12 take less space on the shelf but I prefer to have less figure almost perfect like hot toys.
What do you think? Do you think hot toys and other 1/6 lines have the same 1/12 qc issues?
Thanks!!

mRO41vzl.jpg

XKngDP3l.jpg

MZTCfiJl.jpg

nciifhvl.jpg

There are certainly QC issues with 1/6 figures but if an issue sticks out most reputable retailers will try to get replacement parts for you or accept a return. 1/6 is certainly going to be even more expensive but I think the step up in quality you are complaining about is well worth it. Modern 1/6 head sculpts are pretty amazing compared to 1/12. Best of luck

Based on the whining that follows almost every new 1/6 release I’m not sure if nitpicking is specific to scale.

When you call 6" figures 'six inch': Price = ~$25

When you call 6" figures 'Mafex':price = ~$60

When you call 6" figures '1/12 collective': Price = ~$80

All in all, you are getting a 6" figure. Marketing ******** scam.

Edit: i just realized I went on a tangent and did not answer your post question - the quality of 1:6 is better so you often do not run into the same QC issues (like the sloppy paint apps you pictured) as much. If this happens, you often can return for a replacement. I know Sideshow Collectibles allows this.

The main culprit in 1:6 is the finished product often does not live up to the prototype. Usually the sculpt is softer and the paint apps less detailed, which most collectors come to accept if they have been collecting in this scale long enough.

But some disasters I can think of off the top of my head are some of the recent StarAce figures (like Teenage Hermione). I remember the Nathan Drake figure from SSC looked nothing like the prototype - the costume was nice but the sculpt was a major fail.

Original post below:

Every scale comes with their pros and cons so if you are thinking of making the jump to 1:6, do not expect a perfect utopia.

I mainly collect 1/6 now because they have a better presence and detail on the shelf than the smaller scale and seem to be a good compromise between the smaller scale figures and massive quarter scale or larger collectibles.

Unlike the smaller scales, turnaround times are super slow so do not expect figures for a year after the movie is released, plus additional delays on top of that.

The thing that probably annoys me most about 1:6 are companies do not flesh out the lines enough so do not expect to complete a set of characters (like in the smaller scales). For example, we will get Belle (Emma Watson) but not Beast. Or they will pump out several dozen Iron Man or Harley Quinn variants but not a single Poe Dameron/Cassian.

And often, figures are announced/shown at Comic Con but never released - it is ad nauseam hearing ?Where is Cyborg? or Where is Batmobile 1966?? [emoji23]

OP, what is your obsession with ears? Lol.

There is really no comparison. 1/12 are toys. 1/6 are much more adult collectibles. That might sound strange to say, but they can do so much more at the 1/6 scale. I have pieces I look and and they are so perfectly captured it’s uncanny. I’d definitely make the move if I were you and wanting a more satisfying collectible.

My thoughts: if you’re the kind of six inch collector who is picky enough to be bothered by the production defects you highlighted, once you move to twelve inch and hedonic adaptation kicks in you’re gonna find all kinds of nitpicks with the newer scale.

I collect mostly six inch and QC problems like yours don’t bother me that much - most of the time you can barely see them.

I have a couple of HT figures and looking to add some more, but my problem with them, especially human sculpts, is the likeness to source material, which ranges from poor (ANH Han for eg) to being ‘off’ enough to bother me (most of the others).

Also, there are still QC problems even with HT. I mean I only own two and they still had the kind of issues that would probably annoy you. My recent ROTJ stormtrooper came with a black paint splodge on the helmet, which luckily I managed to scrape off, and with my Sandtrooper, the faux leather on the waist pouches was separating from whatever material it was glued to.

But you’ll never know unless you try.

TC, 1/6 figures are more like dolls instead of action figures, the Mafex & SHF you mentioned are action figures, only the recent Mafex like Michael Jordan can be considered dolls as they come with full clothings, too bad Neca does better at lower price.

From what i see, check around the 1/6 market and see if that is what you want. do you prefer realism and quality over playability? coz not much vehicles and playsets around for 1/6 but you can find many bikes for 1/12 and also furniture from Rement and also model kits.

Have you checked other brands like Limtoys and other China brands? They just started the 1/12 train but their prototypes are pretty impressive. There's also Stormtoys but no real clothings. Also depend on what characters you are looking for, at this moment 1/6 has more choices but they can take up more space especially those boxes, but i say 1/6 is superior compared to 1/12.

1/12 is becoming a trend as companies try to reduce their cost, and the margin for 1/12 is higher despite cheaper. accessory wise 1/6 has more options and is more customizable than 1/12.

From what i see, Mafex is similar to Hasbro Black Labels, but more expensive, so i expect the paint quality to be slightly better than the 3.75" figures. if you know abit of painting, you can easily fix those paint flaws in your photos using fine brush or fine tip markers. i have seen customizers repainted their 1/12 to be as good as 1/6 in terms of realism. But stock to stock, 1/6 is way better no matter what the companies are trying to tell you.

Regarding 3D printing, most of them even for 1/6 are using 3D printing for their prototypes. Makes tweaking easy.

Edit: i just realized I went on a tangent and did not answer your post question - the quality of 1:6 is better so you often do not run into the same QC issues (like the sloppy paint apps you pictured) as much. If this happens, you often can return for a replacement. I know Sideshow Collectibles allows this.

The main culprit in 1:6 is the finished product often does not live up to the prototype. Usually the sculpt is softer and the paint apps less detailed, which most collectors come to accept if they have been collecting in this scale long enough.

But some disasters I can think of off the top of my head are some of the recent StarAce figures (like Teenage Hermione). I remember the Nathan Drake figure from SSC looked nothing like the prototype - the costume was nice but the sculpt was a major fail.

Original post below:

Every scale comes with their pros and cons so if you are thinking of making the jump to 1:6, do not expect a perfect utopia.

I mainly collect 1/6 now because they have a better presence and detail on the shelf than the smaller scale and seem to be a good compromise between the smaller scale figures and massive quarter scale or larger collectibles.

Unlike the smaller scales, turnaround times are super slow so do not expect figures for a year after the movie is released, plus additional delays on top of that.

The thing that probably annoys me most about 1:6 are companies do not flesh out the lines enough so do not expect to complete a set of characters (like in the smaller scales). For example, we will get Belle (Emma Watson) but not Beast. Or they will pump out several dozen Iron Man or Harley Quinn variants but not a single Poe Dameron/Cassian.

And often, figures are announced/shown at Comic Con but never released - it is ad nauseam hearing ?Where is Cyborg? or Where is Batmobile 1966?? [emoji23]

never fear if you are looking for Marvel or Star Wars Hot Toys will always deliver.

also i believe it's the high level of 1/6 that is causing the delay, if you don't mind Black Label like quality, pretty sure many companies can release them even the same time as the movie. and due to the quality, requires higher R&D cost, so companies aren't going to dive deep into a series if they can't predict a decent sales number. And it's harder to do decent cloths compared to molded clothes. painting depends on how much they wanna pay the factories. Goodsmile & Kaiyodo doesn't seem to have much issue with their paint jobs, maybe they aren't focusing on realism but you rarely see overpaint on the hair.

There are certainly QC issues with 1/6 figures but if an issue sticks out most reputable retailers will try to get replacement parts for you or accept a return. 1/6 is certainly going to be even more expensive but I think the step up in quality you are complaining about is well worth it. Modern 1/6 head sculpts are pretty amazing compared to 1/12. Best of luck

Medicom was never a good example when it comes to realism. they have a few good examples like the old guy from kamen rider, but good examples are as rare as a handful. so when they try to go with realism on star wars etc, they end up messing up the QC. or maybe they share the same factory as those Hasbro Black Labels.

Medicom is no longer what it used to be, because they refused to change, to be honest their RAH 220 was pretty impressive compared to MAFEX but yea 220 is bigger but pretty sure if they wanted they should have no issue with 1/12 scale so it's all about cost. ThreeA had decent 1/12 figures but they aren't going for realism.

Back