How to loosen Factory glue w/o Breaking Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm finding myself more excited by statues than figures these days, and I'm going back and picking up some to customize.

I recently took the fabric cape off a DC Collectibles New 52 Superman statue and had a heck of a time doing it! The glue they use is incredibly strong. So strong that I ripped the cape while getting it off the body (thankfully the plan was to replace the cape anyway). With that said, I want to do the same for the New 52 Batman and the BvS Batman statues, however they're capes are tucked under the cowls.

Does anyone know how to loosen up that industrial strength glue they use so I don't accidentally break the heads on these?

Thanks!

Pics for reference so you know which statues I'm talking about:

deb62c82-03bd-48b1-968f-4f7d08b52522.jpg

49696_314528.JPG

Hey there, I guess it depends if it's attached with a glue or more of a cement. I've not got much experience with these statues, but potentially you could try a little lighter fluid off a cotton bud/q tip. I'm a model maker by trade and we use it regularly to clean surfaces, remove paint scuffs and loosen glues (works great to unstick hot glue and some super glues). Please note it is a solvent however. While it evaporates quickly, it can dissolve some paintwork especially if scrubbed. If you wanted to try it, I'd recommend testing on an unseen area first and trying to keep the application minimal. I usually wipe the area afterwards with a damp cloth just to make sure it's gone.

Back