PayPal, currencies, and buying internationally

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey I need a quick PayPal clarification from someone who's more savvy than I on the subject. Thanks in advance!

If I pay with a credit card through the PayPal portal, so long as the total is assessed in the foreign market's currency I will not be charged any transaction fees through PayPal, right? Instead that'll fall to my card issuer who will convert the currency to USD based on their rate (fortunately without a fee for me).

I can't find a clear answer to this, so I figure experience is probably the next best place to go.

You mean if you use PayPal to purchase something for example in Japanese Yen? Paypal will convert for example into usd

but Paypal will take or charge whatever the final total balance the company, seller, vendor etc, comes up with which includes shipping, taxes or any additional fees added such as shipping internationally.

Some companies tack on extra fees to ship internationally in some cases..there is no way around it

Paypal themselves never charges additional fees on usage :lecture

Sort of. You might be saying what I'm thinking in a way.

I want to make a purchase out of Europe, and the website operates 100% in euro. When I go to pay in PayPal it only lists euro, there's no swapping of currencies like there used to be where you could pick to asses the total using PayPal's conversion or choose to allow the conversion to happen at your bank.

So what I'm understanding from what you is there's no foreign transaction fee if the charge is billed to your card in the country's currency. But if you had or have the option for PayPal to do that for you and then bill your card in USD (or whatever your home currency is), then PP will assess the transaction fee.

Sort of. You might be saying what I'm thinking in a way.

I want to make a purchase out of Europe, and the website operates 100% in euro. When I go to pay in PayPal it only lists euro, there's no swapping of currencies like there used to be where you could pick to asses the total using PayPal's conversion or choose to allow the conversion to happen at your bank.

So what I'm understanding from what you is there's no foreign transaction fee if the charge is billed to your card in the country's currency. But if you had or have the option for PayPal to do that for you and then bill your card in USD (or whatever your home currency is), then PP will assess the transaction fee.

:exactly:

Paypal doesn’t have any additional costs to convert currency. Your card used in your account is stored and automatically converts any ( in this case ) currency into USD .

However, the source of the transaction like I mentioned, might tack on some extra fees to ship globally or to convert currency when tallying up the final total ( including any shipping , taxes, etc

Bottom line is, whatever the final total the source comes up with when they are ready to charge your card , Paypal will charge that final complete amount

No more, no less

Bare in mind, some international sources charge a fee for using PP also , depending.

Hope this helps

:exactly:

Paypal doesn?t have any additional costs to convert currency. Your card used in your account is stored and automatically converts any ( in this case ) currency into USD .

However, the source of the transaction like I mentioned, might tack on some extra fees to ship globally or to convert currency when tallying up the final total ( including any shipping , taxes, etc

Bottom line is, whatever the final total the source comes up with when they are ready to charge your card , Paypal will charge that final complete amount

No more, no less

Bare in mind, some international sources charge a fee for using PP also , depending.

Hope this helps
Great, thanks guyver, I appreciate the input and the clarification. I got it all set up and my order in; oddly enough went with the PayPal conversion, it was more favorable to my personal card. Again, many thanks!

Coming in late to this, but I always choose to get charged in the native currency and then have my credit card do the currency conversion (no foreign transaction fees on mine). Paypal doesn't charge a transaction fee, but their currency exchange rates have never been as good as my card. It's typically a 1-2% difference. It's annoying but you have to go in and make the change for every transaction.

Back