Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Torturer of OCD
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Default Re: Toys Works - Spiritual Leader (Morpheus)

Quote Originally Posted by Hologram AI View Post
    The glasses in the movie were pure black glass mirror. There was zero roughness or bump on them, giving it that smooth finish. Kinda like a two way interrogation mirror.

Don't know if that's something that can be done in this scale? Mirrored black is more accurate to the actual glasses used but the way they lit his glasses in the movie makes it look more like the glossy black, which might be the more preferred option.

Its funny, I've heard so many opinions of what Morpheus glasses are, yet perhaps this 2-paragraph article has the best practical explanation regarding the differences in Morpheus glasses from shot to shot:

https://whatculture.com/film/10-movi...ionally?page=9
    Hidden Content
    Freaks Dilemma: desperate need for completion vs. desire for perfection

Quote Originally Posted by Wor-Gar View Post
    Its funny, I've heard so many opinions of what Morpheus glasses are, yet perhaps this 2-paragraph article has the best practical explanation regarding the differences in Morpheus glasses from shot to shot:

https://whatculture.com/film/10-movi...ionally?page=9
    Yeah I read about them switching it. The "official" glasses that he's suppose to be sporting is the pure black mirror version but they only swap it if it got in way of filming.

I would say that doc's glossy black looks more like what they wanted the glasses to look like in the film rather than the super glossy version. The figure is gonna be under a detolf lighting for most collectors and I think the glossy black would better represent what the glasses look like.

Torturer of OCD
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Hidden Content
    Freaks Dilemma: desperate need for completion vs. desire for perfection

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Gloss black is way more representory of the film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Long live the King
    Hidden Content

The Saga is now complete
    Feedback
    23 (100%)
    Gloss black is what my minds eye remembers.

Hey, guys! Thanks for the feedback. I honestly wouldn't mind offering both versions. it's a bit more to keep track of, and a couple extra steps for the mirror black, but nothgin unreasonable.

However I did run into one issue. My gloss black coat that I used to take the photos was dry when I took photos, but probably wasn't fully "cured". As such, after 24 hours or so the ultra smooth surface became less smooth, possibly as the enamel contracted or whatever. They still look great and shiny and whatnot, but not as slicked over as they originally appeared. I'm not one to settle for decent, so I will kind of have to go "back to the drawing board" as it were to make sure whatever technique I use results in that nice, smooth black. I have attached a little video showing how these look not in a light box. If you slow it down you can see the less smooth surface of the gloss black, while the mirror stayed nice and smooth.

You may also hear my son's voice which is why I haven't been able to get a few other pictures in different lighting yet, haha!

My Shapeways Shop: Hidden Content

My customs Facebook page: Hidden Content

©Fly, All rights reserved
    Feedback
    27 (100%)
    I'm still liking the mirrored black one best.

It captures the "black" but has the mirrored effect more pronounced. If it's not an issue, I would go with that option.
    -------------------------------------------------
    A good discussion is like a miniskirt; Short enough to maintain interest and long enough to cover the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyAndFight View Post
    I'm still liking the mirrored black one best.

It captures the "black" but has the mirrored effect more pronounced. If it's not an issue, I would go with that option.
    Haha I hear you. I think the mirror black captures the overall look best as well, but I also totally see the gloss black opinions as well.

If it comes down to two separate versions based off preference then I will just organize the ordering post with that info in mind. Ya know something like:
    Option A) Gloss black
    Option B) Mirrored black

And then just produce however many of each one is needed.

I am going to do some more tests pretty soon on the surface to make sure I really get the smooth surface for the coatings to stick to. It's a frustrating endeavor sometimes because application one time might be perfect and then on another pair I get artifacts. Frustrating!!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    I think I prefer the gloss black (the one on top in the video?) I think I can see some of the jaggyness of it, but doesn't look bad overall. Thanks for all the work!

Quote Originally Posted by dukefett View Post
    I think I prefer the gloss black (the one on top in the video?) I think I can see some of the jaggyness of it, but doesn't look bad overall. Thanks for all the work!
    Yeah thre gloss black is on top. And yeah I'm sure you can see it. Im not satisfied with it so it'll definitely be improved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk