The current state of DC 1/6 collectibles . . . DEAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiFabio

Super Freak
Reaction score
So yeah, today is that big multimedia "DC ALL STARS EVENT", and it sucks the big one.

Look at this forum,

dead.jpg

Harley Quinn, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman, video game Batgirl, knock off Catwoman. This is it, isn't it? This hobby used to be poppin' with exciting news and announcements for figures. Now it's just a bunch of ugly looking doll variants of characters that have already been done. That gaudy armored gold Wonder Woman looks awful. That's the only new item that Hot Toys could conjure up?

Is that the only thing that sells these days? Video game Batman repaints (from a game series that is 5 years old now), Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman? Advertisements showing long sold out figures and COSBABIES? So stale.

It's sad. There's NO excitement for these products. Hot Toys sucks now.

So it was better the last two years with the Marvel complete domination ?

Hot Toys does suck now. I blame the MCU for robbing them of their passion and originality. I haven't bought a figure of theirs since Neo and John Wick. Saying that, you know all is forgiven when they announce a fantastic Bespin Luke, Han and Lando or Indy 2.0 which is my all time Grail now.

That is the sad thing. We hate them until we love them again. And all it takes for them to be appreciated is a little more transparency in their plans and behind the scenes work. Announcing and showing a long requested figure from a Grail license would break the boards, like Reeve, or Neo. But they are so blind and deaf to the needs and wants of the people that fund them. It's extremely ignorant and I will always resent them for that. It's just pitiful customer interaction for the prices they charge.

It's more to do with the fact that you can tell when they're putting in effort and when they're not. DC is obviously getting the dead end of the stick and the back up team.

The only recent figure with a great amount of effort that comes in mind is the Spider-Verse figure. Their first animated character figure, 3 sculpts & 2 outfits for a MMS figure is unheard of from Hot Toys these days. That's a figure that they put effort in and it shows. It looks fantastic when they are putting in effort to something.

Imagine them putting that much effort into all their figures or even an Animated Batman figure. This isn't all that surprising though. Their Marvel side probably feeds them 95% of their profit.

It would be great if Hot Toys put in the effort into their DC line the way Prime 1 & Queens Studio is putting.

87465576_10156935763102344_7888020817097785344_o.jpg

It sucks that there is constant **** when it comes to the DC license. But the biggest crime is that they don?t really do any other license outside of comic books and Star Wars. You have to rely on other companies for that these days. I kinda want Hot Toys dominant grasp on the hobby to collapse so we can other companies flourish.

They're just buckling under their own weight is all.

They've pretty much set the bar in non-custom mass-produced 1/6 figures, a bar so high that under all these releases they never achieve all of the time.

We also expect them to make lots of new things whilst telling them to stop making lots of characters from one franchise.

I'd rather they slow down production entirely. Stop making so many tertiary characters and focus on the big ones and make them well. Extremely well. It was more exciting about 5 years ago for me personally, when Thor Dark World was out, a couple of Spider man figures, the Crow waiting for that Iron Man 42 die cast.

I meant obviously the quality IS better now, much better. But some releases in comparison to others now are questionable. This new WW should have a new sculpt and better hair and a better body without a doubt. Oh wellllllllllllll. Nature of this collecting now.

Yeah that Miles Morales is impressive. It looks like legitimate care went into it. When was the last time they offered that much interchangeability with a figure? I mean three heads, three different outfits, you're getting value for that $260. The neck and leg slip covers are innovative too. There's actual value there. Then you have "Caution tape" Harley Quinn, the 5th iteration of Harley Quinn, that comes with ribbons and it's $280, which is what most of Hot Toys figures are like now.

Star Wars isn't much better and feels like it's in a decline as well. Bespin Han, Lando and Episode 1 Obi-Wan should have been up by now, instead they're falling back on Trooper repaints like the Death Trooper, Incinerator Trooper and Remnant Trooper.

The Arkham figures have been mostly very good. The line is picking up to with the Batman Beyond, Batgirl and now Harley all shown within weeks of each other. They can do just about every villain, Bat family member and numerous Batman skins under this licence. No movie offers them that kind of potential so I'm glad HT are finally seeing that.

No doubt they will do a number of figures from the upcoming Batman movie if it does well. For those that only want stuff from movies 20,30, 40 years old I guess they will never be satisfied. :dunno

This should be an easy fix. They should have unveiled:

- Batman: Animated Series Batman
- Batman: Animated Series Joker
- Batman 1989 Battle-Damaged
- Batman Returns Catwoman
- Wonder Woman: Lynda Carter
- Superman: Man of Steel Faora
- Batman Forever: Mr. Freeze
- Superman: George Reeve in Black and White attire
- Joker 3.0 (with a perfect sculpt this time!)
- QS Batman 1989
- QS Batman Returns
- QS Superman Christoper Reeve

Holy crap you read my mind with that George Reeves Superman suggestion!

- QS Batman 1989
- QS Batman Returns

It's definitely unfortunate that DC doesn't get the same attention as Marvel but that's where the money is. The DCEU hasn't been huge sellers in terms of HT, the offerings detail that and what they're willing to take on. I really think if they focused on past releases while waiting to see what hits big with the newer stuff you'd see higher sales and more attention.

- QS Batman 1989
- QS Batman Returns
Mr. Freeze wasn't in Batman Forever he was in Batman and Robin. But besides that animated Batman and Joker would be a dream.

More DC figures have gone up for preorder since January 1st than went up in the ENTIRETY of 2019. In fact, if you count every single non Disney 1/6 preorder from 2019, there are already more preorders this year for DC alone.

I'm sorry that they're not what people wanted, but we're doing a lot better than last year.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

DC just isn't that popular and doesn't have very popular movies coming out now. I don't know why people would expect them to go back into the past, they hardly do that for anything besides Star Wars. They're not going to make a George Reeves Superman lol, come on.

It's definitely unfortunate that DC doesn't get the same attention as Marvel but that's where the money is. The DCEU hasn't been huge sellers in terms of HT, the offerings detail that and what they're willing to take on. I really think if they focused on past releases while waiting to see what hits big with the newer stuff you'd see higher sales and more attention.

Although I love the movies and their figures, it would be nice if they tackled comic likeness as well.

DC just isn't that popular and doesn't have very popular movies coming out now. I don't know why people would expect them to go back into the past, they hardly do that for anything besides Star Wars. They're not going to make a George Reeves Superman lol, come on.

This times 1,000.

It's definitely unfortunate that DC doesn't get the same attention as Marvel but that's where the money is. The DCEU hasn't been huge sellers in terms of HT, the offerings detail that and what they're willing to take on.

Exactly, not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. HT is a business, they?re not your friends, they?ll invest in what will generate them money.

George Reeves Superman?.....Faora?..... not enough people care about this stuff and HT will not cater to a few fanboy fantasies.

Back