Universal Monsters 1/6th scale from Trick or Treat Studios

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trick or Treat Studios are planning a line of Sixth scale Universal Monsters in the coming year. They say they will be using the sculpts from their Christmas ornaments for the heads.

Here is the link:

https://universalmonstersuniverse.c...ves-monsters-as-much-as-any-monster-kid-does/

This is great news and I would buy them if they did a great sculpt. The "ornament" scuLplts are not up to the quality of what a 2020-ERA 1/6 scale figure should be and with the technology we have for sculpting these days, it seems pretty lazy of them to not do full blown AMAZING scuplts of the Uni Monsters. The monsters get the short end of the stick in collectibles and it would be great if TOTS would take them more seriously and make a great effort and then I'll buy them all. Those ornament sculpts don't make the cut for a 1/6. Imagine if Blitzway did the monsters. That would be AMAZING. Hopefully TOTS does right by the fans like they did with the Myers 1/6 pieces

This is great news and I would buy them if they did a great sculpt. The "ornament" scuLplts are not up to the quality of what a 2020-ERA 1/6 scale figure should be and with the technology we have for sculpting these days, it seems pretty lazy of them to not do full blown AMAZING scuplts of the Uni Monsters. The monsters get the short end of the stick in collectibles and it would be great if TOTS would take them more seriously and make a great effort and then I'll buy them all. Those ornament sculpts don't make the cut for a 1/6. Imagine if Blitzway did the monsters. That would be AMAZING. Hopefully TOTS does right by the fans like they did with the Myers 1/6 pieces

My thoughts exactly when I saw the sculpts and paintwork.

It doesn't bode well that a 1/6 line begins life as a Christmas decoration.

IMG_8794-scaled.jpg

IMG_8798-scaled.jpg

IMG_8797-scaled.jpg

IMG_8799-scaled.jpg

IMG_8796-scaled.jpg

"We were asked to do ornaments years ago. I had the idea to make them in 1/6th scale. Just in case we wanted to make action figures in the future, we'd have the heads. I had Alex Rey sculpt these." - Justin Mabry

"The Frankenstein Monster is the first one that we've made optional as a bust. There's a hole in the bottom so we could retrofit them so you have the option to have them as a bust. We're also going to rework a bunch of these guys into 1/6th scale action figures. Probably images around mid-this year [you could expect to see them]. Still not sure yet as we're still trying to figure out what route we want to go. The ones we did, [the previous 1/6th scale figures], are high end, but we kept things pretty simple. There will be accessory packs in the future, but they're limited to a knife or an extra hand, rather than a whole bunch of extra items that drive the cost up. But with the Universal Monsters, we're not too sure what we'll do yet because we just started working on those." - Justin Mabry

When he says about the 1/6 figures they made previously is he referring to the Halloween and Art figures they just revealed? Or have they done 1/6 before?

Imagine if Blitzway did the monsters. That would be AMAZING. Hopefully TOTS does right by the fans like they did with the Myers 1/6 pieces

Still waiting for Mondo to put their Creature from the Black Lagoon up for pre-order. :impatient:

My thoughts exactly when I saw the sculpts and paintwork.

It doesn't bode well that a 1/6 line begins life as a Christmas decoration.

IMG_8794-scaled.jpg

IMG_8798-scaled.jpg

IMG_8797-scaled.jpg

IMG_8799-scaled.jpg

IMG_8796-scaled.jpg

When he says about the 1/6 figures they made previously is he referring to the Halloween and Art figures they just revealed? Or have they done 1/6 before?

Still waiting for Mondo to put their Creature from the Black Lagoon up for pre-order. :impatient:

I forgot about the Mondo figure! I gotta check that out again. As for TOTS, I'm looking forward to seeing the Uni Monsters 1/6 reveal so long as they give us the best sculpts possible using current technology. No excuses not to. Those monster Xmas ornament sculpts look nice... as ornaments... but that's about it. Come on TOTS, give us something great in 1/6 :pray:

I have the ornaments and they're terrific sculpts. Will definitely pick up the 12" versions to keep my Sideshow "antiques" company. Those were pretty great in their day.

This is crazy. They haven't even shown they can produce their first line of 1/6th figures and they're already talking about another one. I know they need to get people excited to pre-order (and help fund the whole endeavor), but yikes.

Yea judging from the good guy they did they def need to work on things

I forgot about the Mondo figure! I gotta check that out again. As for TOTS, I'm looking forward to seeing the Uni Monsters 1/6 reveal so long as they give us the best sculpts possible using current technology. No excuses not to. Those monster Xmas ornament sculpts look nice... as ornaments... but that's about it. Come on TOTS, give us something great in 1/6 :pray:

I wouldn't count on it. They all but said in the article that they made the ornaments in 1:6 scale so that they could use those sculpts as 1:6 figures. Throw a cheap body under them and that's basically what you are gonna get.

My thing is that with the growth of TOTS, I honestly hope they start better business practices. They are (in my opinion) the worst company out there as far as customer service and general business dealings.

I wouldn't count on it. They all but said in the article that they made the ornaments in 1:6 scale so that they could use those sculpts as 1:6 figures. Throw a cheap body under them and that's basically what you are gonna get.

My thing is that with the growth of TOTS, I honestly hope they start better business practices. They are (in my opinion) the worst company out there as far as customer service and general business dealings.

The good news is we can wait for in hand pics as these won't be numbered or limited edition most likely. If they turn out great, I'll grab them but if they look thrown together then forget it. Too many great things are out there and when you look at what Blitzway and Hot Toys have done with 1/6 it's hard to let other companies be lazy. I do understand these will be priced like the Myers 1/6 so I don't expect HT or Blitzway quality but they do have to still look great. And why no Dracula? Maybe Lugosi estate didn't approve the sculpt. Good for them, they shouldn't if it isn't right

I have the ornaments. The Wolfman actually looks like a Hot Toys Quality sculpt, and the paint is wonderful. I sit it next to my Hot toys Dooku and Tarkin, and its comparable. The way I look at it is this... they sculpted 1/6 heads to use as figures, and the ornaments are just a perk. A bone being thrown until they get it together. Mabry is actually working hard with Universal Studios for things like actor likenesses being correct, and color accurate clothing. Not the lime green jacket Frankenstein has wore since the style guide of the 1990's. I am hopeful these turn out great.

I have the ornaments. The Wolfman actually looks like a Hot Toys Quality sculpt, and the paint is wonderful. I sit it next to my Hot toys Dooku and Tarkin, and its comparable. The way I look at it is this... they sculpted 1/6 heads to use as figures, and the ornaments are just a perk. A bone being thrown until they get it together. Mabry is actually working hard with Universal Studios for things like actor likenesses being correct, and color accurate clothing. Not the lime green jacket Frankenstein has wore since the style guide of the 1990's. I am hopeful these turn out great.

That's good news then. Hopefully these'll turn out great. Paint can make or break a 1/6 figure. I'm looking forward to TOTS getting these out for PO soon along with the Myers Halloween collection too. They seem to be getting great licenses lately. I'd really love them to do a film accurate Jason or Freddy... part 3 of either or Part 6 Jason. I never liked what Sideshow called "stylized" horror figures. Thanks for the good news about the Uni Monsters :clap

That's good news then. Hopefully these'll turn out great. Paint can make or break a 1/6 figure. I'm looking forward to TOTS getting these out for PO soon along with the Myers Halloween collection too. They seem to be getting great licenses lately. I'd really love them to do a film accurate Jason or Freddy... part 3 of either or Part 6 Jason. I never liked what Sideshow called "stylized" horror figures. Thanks for the good news about the Uni Monsters :clap

Freddy huge possibility . Jason on the other hand.....

I don't think the paint on the pictured ornaments is very good but I don't hate the sculpt. I will give them a look before a purchase. I don't feel we've ever really gotten the best quality monsters but you can bet I'll jump for a Frankenstein if its even close to what I imagine.

I don't think the paint on the pictured ornaments is very good but I don't hate the sculpt. I will give them a look before a purchase. I don't feel we've ever really gotten the best quality monsters but you can bet I'll jump for a Frankenstein if its even close to what I imagine.

Lol, tough crowd for a $20 ornament. Look, the sculpt is there, and the paint on the Wolfman (my favorite of the lot) is quite nice. Is it Rainman nice? No....but it isn't 1k either. There haven't been decent Universal Monsters in this scale for ages. For a licensed item, that will sell for less than $140 upon release, just get the thing re-painted. If no one buys them, don't expect to see anything any better. Mezco provided us with an excellent 1:12 Frankenstein, and it didn't sell well enough to warrant any further Universal Monster entries. The fanbase for these oldies dies by the day. Literally.

Lol, tough crowd for a $20 ornament. Look, the sculpt is there, and the paint on the Wolfman (my favorite of the lot) is quite nice. Is it Rainman nice? No....but it isn't 1k either. There haven't been decent Universal Monsters in this scale for ages. For a licensed item, that will sell for less than $140 upon release, just get the thing re-painted. If no one buys them, don't expect to see anything any better. Mezco provided us with an excellent 1:12 Frankenstein, and it didn't sell well enough to warrant any further Universal Monster entries. The fanbase for these oldies dies by the day. Literally.

Nah, totally disagree. Tons of fans of Uni Monsters still and these will sell if the paint is good (and the sculpt). Even Prada the luxury designer last year did high end Frank's monster clothing pieces and they sold out. Didn't TOTS sell out of Frankenstein's Monster ornament? I think so. A ton of horror fans would buy these but they have to look as good as the Myers TOTS pieces. As for Mezco, I know no one that collects 1/12th at all. I saw the 1/12TH piece and thought "Meh." It's such a pointless, small scale just imo. As for TOTS Uni Monsters, there's too much on the market to be lazy with releases. Not many Bill and Ted fans out there but Blitzway is selling through on those. Why? Because they look good. They look great quality. I'll definitely buy a Myers and Frank and Creature and Wolfman from TOTS so long as they look great and based on Myers, I'm pretty sure they'll do a great job for the fans. I'm looking forward to seeing and picking these up... they'll probably turn out great. All good, we can agree to disagree on points :)

Last edited:
Nah, totally disagree. Tons of fans of Uni Monsters still and these will sell if the paint is good (and the sculpt). Even Prada the luxury designer last year did high end Frank's monster clothing pieces and they sold out. Didn't TOTS sell out of Frankenstein's Monster ornament? I think so. A ton of horror fans would buy these but they have to look as good as the Myers TOTS pieces. As for Mezco, I know no one that collects 1/12th at all. I saw the 1/12TH piece and thought "Meh." It's such a pointless, small scale just imo. As for TOTS Uni Monsters, there's too much on the market to be lazy with releases. Not many Bill and Ted fans out there but Blitzway is selling through on those. Why? Because they look good. They look great quality. I'll definitely buy a Myers and Frank and Creature and Wolfman from TOTS so long as they look great and based on Myers, I'm pretty sure they'll do a great job for the fans. I'm looking forward to seeing and picking these up... they'll probably turn out great. All good, we can agree to disagree on points :)

It's ok to disagree, but it's ok for me to disagree with you too,lol. I will explain.

I have been collecting this stuff since 1986, and have also been involved in the creative aspect. Not just a consumer and collector, but a contributor. I can tell you with absolute certainty that demand has diminished, and brand identification is down. Those are facts....not just my "feelings". The Frankenstein ornament isn't sold out. It wasn't offered with the others. It's new for 2020. As for Prada...I know nothing about fashion, but know the name. Same concept applies to Frankenstein. Everyone knows the name/ basics, it's a public domain character. However, the fanbase for the films has diminished.

The execs running Universal's marketing of the Monsters are turning to the limited fan base for instruction. That's what Mabry stated in the interview. The kids in charge now are still running on a 1997 Burger King Kid's Meal style guide for their "inspiration". When they approved or disapproved of a sculpt they were often in error. They were citing things to Mabry such as "Frankenstein is missing a head clamp". He then had to explain to them that they were viewing a still from the sequel, and not the original film. That the monster's appearance changed from film to film. If the folks in charge of the properties haven't even bothered to watch the films, it's problematic. That's diminishing brand recognition. Up until recently, Universal didn't view their brand as diminishing. Now they know better. So we are getting a "monster land" at one of the theme parks. Done in the hope to re-ignite interest before the characters get lost in the shuffle. If you think this cannot happen, think of The Shadow. He was a phenomenal sensation from 1930-1970's. Now...strictly a niche character for extreme devotees like myself. Everyone knows the tagline "The Shadow Knows". Few know what it actually is referencing. Fewer still want merchandising. Same with many old films. It disconcerting.

Mezco's 1:12 line is very successful for them, and folks collect them. They keep on pumping them out. So to dismiss a line simply because you don't personally know anyone collecting them is hardly market research. I am sure Mezco's execs "know" folks buying their products. Yet the ceased Universal Monsters with their initial entry. :peace

I will buy and support Universal Monsters, just as you state you will. The interest in the properties isn't nearly what it was when I started collecting 34 years ago. It isn't even at the same level it was when Sideshow was in their prime. It's down. Believe it....or not.:wink1:

Back