Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Universal Monsters 1/6th scale from Trick or Treat Studios

The Philip Glass version can be found here:

https://archive.org/details/DraculaAlternateScore1931

or

And not to forget the Spanish language version, Dr?cula, directed by George Melford on the same sets Tod Browning was using in the daytime to shoot the Lugosi Dracula:

https://archive.org/details/Universa...Draculaspanish

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

The Bela Lugosi film is a classic, and it has survived the test of time. Much like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing or Miller's Daredevil re-introduced established comic characters for comics, this is what Bela did for Dracula. It's easy almost 100 years later to look at a film or a comic and go "what's the big deal?". The big deal was the impact and influence these things I mentioned had, and still have, on their respective genres. When Christopher Lee first saw it, his reaction was that he didn't immediately appreciate it. When asked about it again about 25 years later, he altered his opinion and sang Bela Lugosi's praises highly. Bela Lugosi's Dracula has been, and will possibly always be, the most iconic version of Dracula to be filmed. Warts and all.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    I'm looking forward to these 1/6 figs. Really like Creature and the Wolfman best so far. I hope Frank's monster will look better in hand than in that pic and I hope they do a Bela sculpt. Those would be the four I buy and that's it... can't wait for these and the Halloween 1/6 collection

Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    I wonder if they'll do monochrome versions, like the old Sideshow Universal Monsters did...
    I am not a post number. I am a free man!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by abake View Post
    Depending on price and quality, I will fully support this line.
    Although I have to admit, the only one of these classic movies I really enjoy is Frankenstein...
    As a matter of fact, I just watched '31 Dracula again the other day and I still can't understand why people love it so much... now Frankenstein, that's a truly good movie!
    Yeah, Frankenstein is the better film. I think the Spanish version is a better film - but it don't have Lugosi. He has a screen presence all his own. I've never loved the '31 Dracula, but I'd buy a Lugosi figure all the same. I'm stoked to see some new figures made. I just wished the one:12 line could have kept going because thay Frankenstein was beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Anton Phibes View Post
    The Bela Lugosi film is a classic, and it has survived the test of time. Much like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing or Miller's Daredevil re-introduced established comic characters for comics, this is what Bela did for Dracula. It's easy almost 100 years later to look at a film or a comic and go "what's the big deal?". The big deal was the impact and influence these things I mentioned had, and still have, on their respective genres. When Christopher Lee first saw it, his reaction was that he didn't immediately appreciate it. When asked about it again about 25 years later, he altered his opinion and sang Bela Lugosi's praises highly. Bela Lugosi's Dracula has been, and will possibly always be, the most iconic version of Dracula to be filmed. Warts and all.
    I agree with most of what you are saying, it's not that I don't understand what the "big deal" is, it's just that I honestly don't think it's a very good movie, regardless of its impact. I can sit down to watch 1922's Nosferatu, or the aforementioned James Whale Frankenstein (or Kubrick's Spartacus, or Heston's Ben Hur, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or Psycho), and recognise them as truly great movies, regardless of the technical limitations and differences in pace, mood and dramatic intention of nearly 100 years ago. That doesn't happen to me with Lugosi's Dracula.

Got a chance to see a bit of the version with the Glass soundtrack, and it started off well, but as the film progressed, it started to lose cohesion with the images. Don't know how to explain it, it just didn't feel like a soundtrack. I'll watch some more later on, see if it gets better.

I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by abake View Post
    I agree with most of what you are saying, it's not that I don't understand what the "big deal" is, it's just that I honestly don't think it's a very good movie, regardless of its impact. I can sit down to watch 1922's Nosferatu, or the aforementioned James Whale Frankenstein (or Kubrick's Spartacus, or Heston's Ben Hur, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or Psycho), and recognise them as truly great movies, regardless of the technical limitations and differences in pace, mood and dramatic intention of nearly 100 years ago. That doesn't happen to me with Lugosi's Dracula.

Got a chance to see a bit of the version with the Glass soundtrack, and it started off well, but as the film progressed, it started to lose cohesion with the images. Don't know how to explain it, it just didn't feel like a soundtrack. I'll watch some more later on, see if it gets better.
    Have to say I prefer the original version since it's authentic, and that's part of the charm with vintage movies.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    The Wolfman sculpt is a beauty so far. Come on TOTS, let's get some pre-orders going... I just need the Monster, Creature and Wolfman

Super Freak
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Anton Phibes View Post
    But has it though? Nostalgia can get in the way of our love of things. Don't get me wrong, I love the casting, and the nice backgrounds, but that story... it just doesn't work in today's story telling in film. Van Helsing goes down to Dracula's place of slumber, and and then we cut to the scene, where Helsing announces Dracula is dead! Ummm okay?! I mean I get it, it's 1931 and you didn't want to show the violence, but really? It's like we're missing a big chunk of story (the most important part), and we're just to assume Van Helsing is telling the truth. So while I loved it as a kid, and my artist proof of Bela's Dracula PF, which is signed and has an illustration of Drac himself on the base, straight from the man Andy Bergholtz who sculpted the piece, I can't help but disagree with the statement it has aged well. *shrugs*

That being said, I do want figures of the all the UMs!
    Last edited by Eli26; 05-04-2020 at 12:34 AM.