USPS Classic Movie Monsters poster

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Monster

Super Freak
Reaction score
Can anyone that has one confirm that the US Postal Service had posters like this one? I was told that it hung in the lobby of a post office not sold to the public. The person said they have had the poster for many years and that they had found it at a Flea market. Size is 16x20.

Attachments

• USPS  Monsters Lobby Poster.JPG
    USPS Monsters Lobby Poster.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 284
That is awesome!
Never saw this at the 2 local PO's but you never know.

A blank stamp with only "32 USA" and "Invisible Man" would have been hilarious! :lol

He wasn't part of the stamps series. So he's not pictured.

Right. I understand that. I was just pointing out the general lack of popularity of the Creature.
I'm pretty sure, when they sat down to discuss which monsters would be included, they omitted the Creature because he's the least recognized (other than Invisible Man).

In fact, I would venture a guess and say most people, if asked to name all the Universal Classic Monsters, would say:
1. Dracula
2. Frankenstein
3. Wolf Man

…in that order.

Right. I understand that. I was just pointing out the general lack of popularity of the Creature.
I'm pretty sure, when they sat down to discuss which monsters would be included, they omitted the Creature because he's the least recognized (other than Invisible Man).

In fact, I would venture a guess and say most people, if asked to name all the Universal Classic Monsters, would say:
1. Dracula
2. Frankenstein
3. Wolf Man

?in that order.

Creature from the Black Lagoon is wildly popular. Almost guaranteed best seller in most Uni lines. The main reason being, more people are still alive who saw the movie at the drive in and theaters in 3D. The reason he wasn't included in the 1997 stamp releases is there used to be all sorts of strange rules to be considered eligible for a US Postage Commemorative Stamp. I forget what they were, and I think they are history/toast at this point. There used to be pre-requisites for getting a USPS Commemorative stamp however. Forry Ackerman and hte heirs of the respective estates actually were petitioning the USPS to get these made. A friend of mine was high up in the post office at the time. That's the only reason I even remember the conversation. Because I stated 5 was an odd number...why no Creature. Then I got the lecture.:lecture

I am curious why there hasn't been a Vincent Price USPS stamp yet. He's been dead for nearly 3 decades, and I know folks who would buy them. There's your little history lesson from an ancient fart whose been collecting this stuff since 1980. Now you know, and knwoing's half the battle according to G.i. Joe. Later.:lol

I suspected you did. Seems to me I remember you talking about it aeons ago. Wanted to be sure though. The poster is legit my man. Great seeing you in action after all this time as well.

I have a Star Wars poster similar to that one. Stuff like that is supposed to be trashed, but cool ones sometimes slip out the back door.

I suspected you did. Seems to me I remember you talking about it aeons ago. Wanted to be sure though. The poster is legit my man. Great seeing you in action after all this time as well.

Richard I also found and bought some art prints of just the stamp artwork, That a guy tells me the post office did. I cannot get them to post. They don't have the stamp border or the 32 USA on them.

Back