Help dealing with what looks like mold on 1/6 stuff

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodParticle

Super Freak
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, so here goes.

I'm currently in an old house that has bad air circulation and gets damp due to high humidity in the summers. I have some 1/6 stuff in detolfs and noticed these white spots appearing on the clothing of some figures(interestingly, mostly only sideshow stuff). Later I noticed brown spots on a couple of white figures. I read it's probably mold forming. I was able to wash out the brown spots easily, but looking for something I could maybe spray them with to ward it off from forming. I already got some absorbing gel and if I have to, a dehumidifier

dehumidifiers are great and should sort it out. I'd be more concerned about your own health than your dolls though - if you only have one humidifier in your place it should go in the bedroom imo.

Yeah, health was an other concern. It's not a long term thing being here, but wanted to get some ideas

you need to disinfect the whole detolf and put some dust seals around the openings. you need either dehumidifier packs that needs replacement every month or 2 or a real dehumidifier which will work on the room but takes more electricity and you need a drain or you have to manually empty the buckets every day.

a cheap hygrometer will help to tell you how bad humidity is inside the cabinet.

i've also put moth balls in (those that hangs inside wardrobe) and only cut a small opening so it will last few years.

lastly UV bulb will help disinfection but only leave it on for less than a minute each time as it will cause yellowing under prolonged exposure and bad for your eyes/skin so get yourself exposed for more than a minute. i have one attached to a power plug that i can move around and disinfect places.

a good vacuum with Hepa filters will help suck up those mold particles too and keeps the air clean. i just waive it around the air like it's an air purifier.

an air purifier also works.

Air conditioning will suffer if there's mold infestation as they love to hang out inside the air conditioner because it's wet.

dehumidifiers are great and should sort it out. I'd be more concerned about your own health than your dolls though - if you only have one humidifier in your place it should go in the bedroom imo.

dehumidifier will only put the molds into sleep mode, you still need to get rid of them to prevent growth.

you need to disinfect the whole detolf and put some dust seals around the openings. you need either dehumidifier packs that needs replacement every month or 2 or a real dehumidifier which will work on the room but takes more electricity and you need a drain or you have to manually empty the buckets every day.

a cheap hygrometer will help to tell you how bad humidity is inside the cabinet.

i've also put moth balls in (those that hangs inside wardrobe) and only cut a small opening so it will last few years.

lastly UV bulb will help disinfection but only leave it on for less than a minute each time as it will cause yellowing under prolonged exposure and bad for your eyes/skin so get yourself exposed for more than a minute. i have one attached to a power plug that i can move around and disinfect places.

a good vacuum with Hepa filters will help suck up those mold particles too and keeps the air clean. i just waive it around the air like it's an air purifier.

an air purifier also works.

Air conditioning will suffer if there's mold infestation as they love to hang out inside the air conditioner because it's wet.

I already had picked up a digital monitor and the humidity was usually in the high 50s/low 60s. Winter it's around low 40s. That's with a couple of the small damprid buckets of silica gel stuff. I have a window air conditioner and I know for sure those things can get nasty. I'll look into blocking up the cracks, UV stuff and air purifier. Better yet, I just need to get out of here lol. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I read that a mixture of water and vinegar can kill mold spores. Is that a thing to try?

I already had picked up a digital monitor and the humidity was usually in the high 50s/low 60s. Winter it's around low 40s. That's with a couple of the small damprid buckets of silica gel stuff. I have a window air conditioner and I know for sure those things can get nasty. I'll look into blocking up the cracks, UV stuff and air purifier. Better yet, I just need to get out of here lol. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I read that a mixture of water and vinegar can kill mold spores. Is that a thing to try?

50-60 is considered ok, should not be a big issue. too low you risk damaging rubber materials as they crack up due to dryness but humidity can be raised by putting a glass of water.

you need silica buckets that turns into water. there are refill packs which is cheaper.

water+vinegar is probably good for wiping the cabinet but i never tried cleaning with food stuffs. alcohol kills germ but may damage the cabinet surfaces so use them on glasses only. also, get some blutac and seal off the surroundings of the top cap where there's a hole for LED if you are using the cap.

moth balls should help too.

50-60 is considered ok, should not be a big issue. too low you risk damaging rubber materials as they crack up due to dryness but humidity can be raised by putting a glass of water.

you need silica buckets that turns into water. there are refill packs which is cheaper.

water+vinegar is probably good for wiping the cabinet but i never tried cleaning with food stuffs. alcohol kills germ but may damage the cabinet surfaces so use them on glasses only. also, get some blutac and seal off the surroundings of the top cap where there's a hole for LED if you are using the cap.

moth balls should help too.

Yeah, the absorbing things I have come in a little bucket that turns to water when absorbed. I'll try plugging all the holes and look into the moth balls also. Hopefully this will get the funk out of the space

Back