Would The Mandalorian be as good without The Child?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would The Mandalorian be as good without The Child?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • It?d be better

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • It wouldn?t be good either way

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
The show wasn't what I expected at all. I kind of think the baby Yoda threw it totally off course of what I anticipated. I'm not like a grouch but I really would've rather it not be about the Baby Yoda, I'm not into 'oh it's so cute!' type things, but I guess at least it got my fiance to watch it with me.

I still enjoyed it, but I was at the very least anticipating a show that didn't have the force in it. Now it's definitely the baby Yoda + Mando show, it's not like he's going to get rid of him ever, and he'll never 'grow up' during the time span that we have Star Wars canon for. He'll just kind of always be there hanging around.

The Child is definitely a "likeability" crutch.

Not every episode can be Phew-Phew and explosions... but neither can it be "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww how cute". So far, its been fairly well balanced. But it will get tiresome in Season 2, so I expect more focus on bad guys and goals.

The show would be boring as hell if its just Mando going around shooting Stormtroopers.

The need plot.

Baby Yoda is just plot. After he is gone, Mando will need another plot.

At this rate baby Yoda will have his own series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Which makes me wonder if he will be a regular throughout the series. Disney isn’t stupid, they have a gold mine in that little character.

He does already. It’s called “The Mandalorian”. It’s like the nanny, but in space, and the child is like Yoda.

Edit: in fairness, I do think it’s possible it could be good without “baby Yoda”, but it would depend on the mission and other characters. It’s a good balance right now, take the mission out of the picture and replace it with something new, it can completely change the chemistry of the show. Possibly for better. Or possibly for worse. So to be fair, you can’t really say taking that one character out of the show would make it better or worse. It would make it different, and by necessity chemistry would be different.

I’m not sure I would want it to be simply the mission of the week. I like longer story arcs. I think to make it a mission of the week type of series will take something away from it.

Season two will already be different. Two of the main characters are gone now. I will particularly miss the assassin droid, His precise movements and literal interpreting were interesting to watch. so now there is a hole they have to fill for season two with another character who is interesting. Perhaps they’ll focus more on the villain.

Why not? IMO most stories off the top of my head start with character/characters > challenge > resolution.

It's a great arc, but didn't HAVE to be hard bitten everyman warrior steps in to do the right thing. They could've done the pampered-forced-into-Mandalorian-culture (like 13th Warrior). Or, unwilling-companion-for-whatever reason to Boba or other.

The show would be boring as hell if its just Mando going around shooting Stormtroopers.

The need plot.

Baby Yoda is just plot. After he is gone, Mando will need another plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn't even need to be shooting Stormtroopers, I wasn't expecting tons of that. He's a bounty hunter (or was). That's what I guess I was set up to expect from the show, he hardly did any bounties. I mean I probably would've been totally fine with a procedural show where he goes bounty hunting the whole season. With the Baby Yoda and then Moff Gideon with the Dark Saber, his bounty hunting is totally off the rails.

Yeah. It will be interesting to see what they do with season two. For season one, he did have regular jobs, just not necessarily in the traditional way, sometimes they were job of necessity for his survival.

Episode one he collects the child.
Episode two he gets an egg for the Jawas.
Episode three he delivers the child and then rescues it. Yeah things go off the rails here.
Episode four he protects the frontier Homestead.
Episode five he helps another bounty hunter capture a bounty.
Episode six he helps free a prisoner.
Episodes Seven and eight he tries to fix his mistake in ep 3.

So even though he didn’t get a puck each week, there was definitely stuff happening. But much of it was motivated by trying to protect the child.

It will be interesting to see how far they take this clan of two, the child could be a permanent fixture. Personally I think it could make the show more interesting, particularly if he continues doing regular bounty hunting.

What sorts of stories would you guys like to see in the series? What characters from the past films and shows, if any, would you like to see show up? Other than Boba Fett obviously.

I think the show is great but I won't deny that baby Yoda has taken it to another level, for me at least
I'm obsessed with baby Yoda
He's now my wallpaper on my phone and all the computers at work
I have a problem :lol
I re-watched the show over the last 2 days and focused on The Child and his adorable expressions :cuckoo:

Yeah. It will be interesting to see what they do with season two. For season one, he did have regular jobs, just not necessarily in the traditional way, sometimes they were job of necessity for his survival.

Episode one he collects the child.
Episode two he gets an egg for the Jawas.
Episode three he delivers the child and then rescues it. Yeah things go off the rails here.
Episode four he protects the frontier Homestead.
Episode five he helps another bounty hunter capture a bounty.
Episode six he helps free a prisoner.
Episodes Seven and eight he tries to fix his mistake in ep 3.

So even though he didn?t get a puck each week, there was definitely stuff happening. But much of it was motivated by trying to protect the child.

It will be interesting to see how far they take this clan of two, the child could be a permanent fixture. Personally I think it could make the show more interesting, particularly if he continues doing regular bounty hunting.

What sorts of stories would you guys like to see in the series? What characters from the past films and shows, if any, would you like to see show up? Other than Boba Fett obviously.

I saw it as Favreau laying out his character and skill set. So, audience knows character, piloting skill, cool armor, code, weapons/use. Now he has specific goal. Dunno how much he got for the job in episode 4 but if not enough, he'll need funds/supplies.

Personally hope Mando ends up dealing with a Jedi whether Luke or other. Seems like Mandalorians have a loooong history of Jedi entanglements but waz thinking, really, as opposed to the Sith, they are not that different except the Mandalorian war-mongering in the past. Both have a code of honor. Also they need to cover how Mandalorian culture got so fragmented e.g. build on history of Purge.

There's this:
https://www.inverse.com/article/62259-mandalorian-season-2-rosario-dawson-ahsoka-tano

I think the show is great but I won't deny that baby Yoda has taken it to another level, for me at least
I'm obsessed with baby Yoda
He's now my wallpaper on my phone and all the computers at work
I have a problem
I re-watched the show over the last 2 days and focused on The Child and his adorable expressions

Look, LOL Baby Yoda laughing while IG-11 works for me when nothing else does. Also burping and giggling episode 2 after swallowing the frog.:cool:

Possibly. The issue is, the story is about a gunslinging bounty hunter growing a conscience. Which means ... his conscience needs a reason. The kid was the reason. If you take him out ... you either have to replace him with something equally conscience-inducing, or you have to completely rejigger the plot arc of the character (which is possible, but might not be as good).

Ultimately, the show is a western ... with a very well-worn western character arc. The kid is the plot device that puts that arc in motion.

SnakeDoc

I would agree. I hope they don’t make too much of a plot about the kid, and just adapt it like a gunslinger and his son going about the business of bounty hunting. And naturally the over curving story arc about the kid and the main villain will continue, without having to be the weekly focus.

my biggest gripe about this series is that they need to make 60 episodes a year of the same or higher quality. If you’re going to dream, dream big!

Back