Statue The Silver Surfer Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoo

Super Freak
Reaction score
1125x682_previewbanner_400358_SilverSurferMaq.jpg

Because the character design is so simple, I have a feeling SS will try too hard and muck it up. I hope I'm wrong.
If there was ever a character/property that could benefit from graceful, elegant simplicity, this is it.

Because the character design is so simple. I have a feeling SS will try too hard and muck it up. I hope I'm wrong.
If there was ever a character/property that could benefit from graceful, elegant simplicity, this is it.

That’s not the main difficulty. It’s the needed chrome effect. Given that this is Sideshow I’m not too confident that they’ll be able to pull it off. At least not on the production piece.

no way in hell this will be chromed. you are talking about SS.

But I am sure the paint will be fine. The first one was fantastic.

I imagine it will have a very elaborate base...like all the customs these days...get ready for him coming through a blackhole of some sort.

Finally! ...A bloody Silver Surfer statue!

How can you not be excited for this? Even more now since Daniel Bel is sculpting this statue. Duuuude! I'm stoked!

What would chroming cost on an average 1/4 scale piece, if you had it custom done? $400-500?

I?d love for Sideshow to make a chromed EX, and would gladly pay a jacked up the price, if it meant it was done right.

Won't be chromed enough, when have they ever painted chromed silver like it should be?

Highly doubt this will be chromed. Since this will be a Bel sculpt, I expect it to look good. Shame that we only got a banner preview. Even a sketch would've been better than that. Pose and paint apps on this will be everything.

Maybe the MAQ label is because this will be chromed. Possible?

Maybe the MAQ label is because this will be chromed. Possible?

Was thinking the same thing. The price will already be high with that label. Just go all out. Make the ?definitive? Surfer and ask a premium for it. They won?t have problems moving it with this character.

Bel is actually who I had in mind when I posted about SS likely trying too hard and mucking it up.
Bel is certainly an awesome sculptor. I don't mean to take anything away from his ability or his previous efforts.
But he is more of what I think of as an "outside in" artist. He does a great job of twisting and turning figures to emphasize immediately gleaned surface detail- muscles, textures, etc.
It's great craftsmanship, and displays a high level of anatomical knowledge, beautifully realized.

However when I look at work by someone like Harbottle, I see an artist who works from the inside out.
That is, they remind me of an animators approach. It's less about dazzling you with surface details and more about interpreting movement and mass.
If Harbottle doesn't actually get up out of his chair and act out the various character he works on at certain points in the process, I would be surprised. At the very least his work looks like that's what he does. There is almost always a grace and naturalism to how his figures inhabit their space or react to their environments. That kind of naturalism usually only comes from feeling the character in the moment, acting the scene you're trying to represent out. Nott just envisioning what would look cool or dynamic on paper. It goes beyond just looking in the mirror as you pose.
The Red Sonja he did, with the snake, is not a dynamic pose at all. She's merely in stride. It's a remarkable piece though because her physicality is spot on. Weight distribution, the tension of certain muscles with the relaxation of others- all contribute to the figure feeling natural and "true".

The Surfer isn't a detailed character. He conveys two main things visually- he's moves quickly and sleekly, and he's supremely smooth and gleamingly bright.
Bel's strong suits are the exact things that are at odds with the character- fingers splayed, 'roided out musculature, set to a dynamic pose...that's going to appeal to the main demo here, I suppose. But's it would also be kind of generic and reductive to me. Sort of like how Flash looks like a typical superhero gym rat in a running pose instead of... a runner with a runner's high metabolism physique.
But, again the main SS demo here loves that approach, so I'm once again just yelling at clouds.

Like I said, I have enormous respect for Bel. This is just one instance where I don't see the artist's strengths being naturally in line with the character choice.
Then again, who knows? I might end up being totally surprised by the final result.

Sideshow is too damn lazy and cheap to gloss undercoat in gloss black and use chrome paint on the top.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chrome looks awful on the comiquette. The people that customized that piece were out of their minds IMHO. Having owned it and recently getting rid of it, I am happy to say this has been on my wishlist for some time. A little disappointed that it is sculpted by Bel because his pieces typically are smaller in scale than Harbottle.

Meaning that I think Silver Surfer will be dwarfed by the Thanos on the Throne maquette (scale wise). Bel's Captain America and Gladiator Hulk look puny in comparison to previous PFs of those aforementioned characters.

The reason why I sold off the Silver Surfer Comiquette (the paint on that was amazing by the way having owned it for nearly a decade), was the size comparison to other 1/4 scale comiquettes such AS Spider-Man Venom Carnage etc.

Silver Surfer was one of Stan Lee's favourite characters ever created so I hope the maquette does the character justice. It took long enuff.

Back