Media Half-Life: Alyx (March, 2020)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not sure what happened to my last thread but, I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet. Looks like it'll strictly be VR and Gordon will not be the main character. Not sure how I feel about the VR part of it (considering I don't have a VR set up), but if there was a game that will get me into VR, this is definitely the one. I assume that's part of the strategy here which is to get VR more mainstream but I guess we will see. Surprisingly, this is coming out pretty soon so I imagine it's been worked on for quite some time.

This takes place between HL1 and HL2, so it will be relevant to the story line we already know, which is nice. I'm curious to see how this ends and whether this will be broken up into episodes or if it will go straight into HL2. Based on what's been revealed, it looks like this game will have more of a mission impossible type of set up involving sneaking around and less run n gun, at least for part of it.

Other than having to figure out getting the set up to play this, I'm pretty stoked.

https://half-life.com/en/alyx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2W0N3uKXmo

Last edited:
Hard not to be disappointed this wont pick up where HL2 left off but with that said I don't have a VR setup either so I'm not sure I'll ever get round to this anyway!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No VR here either, but I'm gonna build a new PC sooner or later, so VR could be on the cards.

I can't say no to a half-life game, it's been too long.

No VR as well; I did play re7 in its entirety in VR on the ps4 and it was a truly amazing experience. If the PS5 or Xbox Next Next supports VR, Im down

Never thought a new Half Life would happen, so its cool news.

I've yet to even try VR. I've always been sceptical since I can imagine it giving me motion sickness or something and I'm just not entirely sure when I'm trying to relax I want a screen literally attached to my face. I need to give it a try somewhere.

Their "Valve index" VR kits are selling out and they aren't cheap. Outside of the VR equipment, I suppose a lot of people have rigs that meet the minimum requirements as they don't seem to be that bad. I personally never tried VR yet but people seem to have good experience with it, at least with the games that are stable. While this won't be a day 1 purchase for me, it's definitely something I will get eventually down the road. Because it's been years, I stopped following anything HL related which eventually turned into memes and small bits and pieces of "news" from insiders, so this was pretty shocking for me personally to know they're coming out with a new freaking game in a few months. Having said that, I'm glad the HL franchise is still alive.

I saw an interview with a few of the devs and they pretty much said it would be impossible to translate the gameplay for use with a mouse and keyboard. So it looks like VR only for this release.

As someone that has a PSVR I'll just say VR is an absolute game changer in the way you experience a video game. I'm very very disappointed this wasn't announced for PSVR because I'm not going to pay the crazy amount for a PC VR when I already have the PSVR. VR isn't worth it for just one game though and if you don't have a list of games you want to play I'd hold off.

Also for motion sickness, it takes about a week to get your VR legs. I played Wipeout for about 10 to 15 minute segments for a few days until the motion sickness went away and now I just don't get motion sickness at all.

It's amazing what your eyes can adjust to. I purchased a 5k retina imac not long ago and my eyes felt like they were being burned out at first. Now I can't feel any difference lol.

Back