Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep

Super Freak
    Feedback
    42 (100%)

Default Doctor Sleep

No thread for this? Well I'll start one.

Anyways I freaking loved it. I thought it was a perfect film until the last 20 min... Some of the best villains in a horror film I have seen in a while.

My only issue was the last 20 min really tried to tie it in with the original film.. Not sure how much I liked that.

However I did read why the director did it and it made me at least appreciate the ending more but it seems I might have preferred the ending that was in the original book.

I knew nothing about this story going in and I think that's the best way to view it.

PS - You don't have to be a fan of the original (Jye) to like this film. But it may help.

Even though it was a very different movie then the original film it still oozed some atmosphere from the original.. Mostly due to the score / soundtrack.

8 out of 10

As a big fan of the book, I was really bummed with the ending. At least King finally got his Shining ending he always wanted...

Super Freak
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

Super Freak
    Feedback
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    Wow so it was almost as good as EG then?

Lol... I seriously can?t get over how many films that have been better than EG this year alone....

Shame

Super Freak
    Feedback
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by youbastards View Post
    As a big fan of the book, I was really bummed with the ending. At least King finally got his Shining ending he always wanted...
    Yeah I never read Doctor Sleep but I did read The Shining.. So I know the end of Doctor Sleep the book had to be different. I could tell they were trying to satisfy King since he never really like The Shining. So I get it.. But I read how the DS book ended and that is how this movie should have ended. But the movie ending does shed some light on the original film..

I never cared about what happened to Danny after the original movie.. This movie did a great job of making me realize I should have

My main complaints.. All spoilers

Spoiler Spoiler:

It ain't the years honey
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Loved it. Great atmosphere. Will get the bluray.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    Loved it. Great atmosphere. Will get the bluray.
    Agreed!!!

Fan of King's books, but a huge fan of the Kubrick film. I really enjoyed Doctor Sleep, Mike Flanagan did a great job blending book and film together and was respectful to both. The whole cast was stellar, but Rebecca Ferguson?s Rose steals the film every time she's on-screen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ds.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	470549

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Also from what I was reading regarding this movie, Mike read the notes Kubrick left on the script from the original shining to really get into how he made the original even as far as recreating everything, including the sets! Granted it was Danny?s movies so seeing how he?s been doing what?s great, but still, I loved it 8/10 also too bad it didn?t perform well...

I mean I feel this movie does justice to all venues coming from the Stephen king universe, the original film, the mini series, the book and the doctor sleep book it self. Granted I would have loved the book ending but still... what can we do...

This movie brings the interesting question wether it?s good to recast the roles of iconic characters OR de-age them digitally and ad lib the original voices...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Freak
    Feedback
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropen View Post
    Also from what I was reading regarding this movie, Mike read the notes Kubrick left on the script from the original shining to really get into how he made the original even as far as recreating everything, including the sets! Granted it was Danny?s movies so seeing how he?s been doing what?s great, but still, I loved it 8/10 also too bad it didn?t perform well...
    Yeah I see that the box office was not huge... Too bad for the films sake.. Glad we got a pretty great movie though.

I mean I feel this movie does justice to all venues coming from the Stephen king universe, the original film, the mini series, the book and the doctor sleep book it self. Granted I would have loved the book ending but still... what can we do...
    I agree.. I thought the film did a fantastic job paying tribute to the book and the original film. The ending just felt tacked on and obviously it was... But like I said, after I read the reasoning behind why the director did it and how he wanted the Kubrick film to tie in a bit more to the supernatural storyline of the book and be more true to King's vision.. Well it gets a pass from me now.. But man this film was close to being perfect.

This movie brings the interesting question wether it?s good to recast the roles of iconic characters OR de-age them digitally and ad lib the original voices...

I am just not sure the film needed any of the Jack stuff.. Danny still could have been tempted by Lloyd and it would have served the same purpose...

Shelly Devall is not as iconic as Nicholson.... BUT I thought the actress did a good voice impersonation of her.. Henry Thomas as Jack.. Well It was Ok visually but missed in vocally...

Having said that.... I like the idea behind the Jack scene and shows
    Spoiler Spoiler: