Doctor Sleep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAWS

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
No thread for this? Well I'll start one.

Anyways I freaking loved it. I thought it was a perfect film until the last 20 min... Some of the best villains in a horror film I have seen in a while.

My only issue was the last 20 min really tried to tie it in with the original film.. Not sure how much I liked that.

However I did read why the director did it and it made me at least appreciate the ending more but it seems I might have preferred the ending that was in the original book.

I knew nothing about this story going in and I think that's the best way to view it.

PS - You don't have to be a fan of the original (Jye) to like this film. But it may help.

Even though it was a very different movie then the original film it still oozed some atmosphere from the original.. Mostly due to the score / soundtrack.

8 out of 10

As a big fan of the book, I was really bummed with the ending. At least King finally got his Shining ending he always wanted...

As a big fan of the book, I was really bummed with the ending. At least King finally got his Shining ending he always wanted...

Yeah I never read Doctor Sleep but I did read The Shining.. So I know the end of Doctor Sleep the book had to be different. I could tell they were trying to satisfy King since he never really like The Shining. So I get it.. But I read how the DS book ended and that is how this movie should have ended. But the movie ending does shed some light on the original film..

I never cared about what happened to Danny after the original movie.. This movie did a great job of making me realize I should have :)

My main complaints.. All spoilers

Spoiler Spoiler:

Fan of King's books, but a huge fan of the Kubrick film. I really enjoyed Doctor Sleep, Mike Flanagan did a great job blending book and film together and was respectful to both. The whole cast was stellar, but Rebecca Ferguson?s Rose steals the film every time she's on-screen.
ds.jpg

Also from what I was reading regarding this movie, Mike read the notes Kubrick left on the script from the original shining to really get into how he made the original even as far as recreating everything, including the sets! Granted it was Danny?s movies so seeing how he?s been doing what?s great, but still, I loved it 8/10 also too bad it didn?t perform well...

I mean I feel this movie does justice to all venues coming from the Stephen king universe, the original film, the mini series, the book and the doctor sleep book it self. Granted I would have loved the book ending but still... what can we do...

This movie brings the interesting question wether it?s good to recast the roles of iconic characters OR de-age them digitally and ad lib the original voices...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also from what I was reading regarding this movie, Mike read the notes Kubrick left on the script from the original shining to really get into how he made the original even as far as recreating everything, including the sets! Granted it was Danny?s movies so seeing how he?s been doing what?s great, but still, I loved it 8/10 also too bad it didn?t perform well...

Yeah I see that the box office was not huge... Too bad for the films sake.. Glad we got a pretty great movie though.

I mean I feel this movie does justice to all venues coming from the Stephen king universe, the original film, the mini series, the book and the doctor sleep book it self. Granted I would have loved the book ending but still... what can we do...

I agree.. I thought the film did a fantastic job paying tribute to the book and the original film. The ending just felt tacked on and obviously it was... But like I said, after I read the reasoning behind why the director did it and how he wanted the Kubrick film to tie in a bit more to the supernatural storyline of the book and be more true to King's vision.. Well it gets a pass from me now.. But man this film was close to being perfect.

This movie brings the interesting question wether it?s good to recast the roles of iconic characters OR de-age them digitally and ad lib the original voices...

I am just not sure the film needed any of the Jack stuff.. Danny still could have been tempted by Lloyd and it would have served the same purpose...

Shelly Devall is not as iconic as Nicholson.... BUT I thought the actress did a good voice impersonation of her.. Henry Thomas as Jack.. Well It was Ok visually but missed in vocally...

Having said that.... I like the idea behind the Jack scene and shows
Spoiler Spoiler:

Fan of King's books, but a huge fan of the Kubrick film. I really enjoyed Doctor Sleep, Mike Flanagan did a great job blending book and film together and was respectful to both. The whole cast was stellar, but Rebecca Ferguson?s Rose steals the film every time she's on-screen.
View attachment 470549

Sexy and Scary... She was amazing.

I was surprised by the soft box office. I through this was superior to It Chapter 2.

Spoilers.....

I loved the movie , better than the book IMO. I love King but he sure likes to get caught up in where the wallpaper was bought, etc. :lol A little streamlining goes a long way.

Re: recasting vs. CGI, de-aging, and the like - I was very relieved to see the old characters recast. I’m sick to death of airbrushed looking cartoon people. Besides, aside from **** (who was the best recast IMO) they are more like props than characters. And in the case of Jack he is literally not the same character.

Anyway, huge thumbs up from me. Can’t wait to see it again.

Well I enjoyed this a lot. Mostly because of some of the characters and acting. The plot was fairly engaging and fresh. I liked the villains and the overall chase feeling of the movie. Although there were a lot of negatives (usually the same ones Flanagan always has). For one the whole movie looked cheap. The movie tried it?s hardest to never actually be a horror movie. So many super cheesy moments. And omg the recasting! It was like a bad snl skit. (And I loved Alex Essoe in starry eyes) I swear this whole thing was supposed to be an hbo miniseries or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, I was not a huge fan of the book, for SK it felt a little off for him. I am a big SK fan, but it felt a bit flat to me.

So its good to hear people enjoyed the film.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Yeah I see that the box office was not huge... Too bad for the films sake.. Glad we got a pretty great movie though.

I agree.. I thought the film did a fantastic job paying tribute to the book and the original film. The ending just felt tacked on and obviously it was... But like I said, after I read the reasoning behind why the director did it and how he wanted the Kubrick film to tie in a bit more to the supernatural storyline of the book and be more true to King's vision.. Well it gets a pass from me now.. But man this film was close to being perfect.

I am just not sure the film needed any of the Jack stuff.. Danny still could have been tempted by Lloyd and it would have served the same purpose...

Shelly Devall is not as iconic as Nicholson.... BUT I thought the actress did a good voice impersonation of her.. Henry Thomas as Jack.. Well It was Ok visually but missed in vocally...

Having said that.... I like the idea behind the Jack scene and shows
Spoiler Spoiler:

I missed the part were Mike and Henry thomas go back to the Haunting of Hill House netflix series which make perfect sense on why Henry was cast as Lloyd. Its the whole topic of Delbert/Charles Grady topic that gets closure with this movie along with the Lloyd/Jack scene, i love the hotel?s ambiguous character it takes over clearly meaning it was ?it? the whole time masquerading as persons familiar to either jack and. Delbert, makes the original kubrick ending more emotional also knowing he does get absolved like it was stated before, but from what i read henry on purpose did not want to replicate the Nicholson lisp since he knew he wasn?t playing him but playing lloyd which makes total sense!!

Rose did steal every scene i wish we saw more of her and the crow together, we didn?t need to know how old she was but knowing she?s old makes it the worth while, call me freaking crazy but i thought i was having double takes with snakebite, i legit thought she was Robin Tunney?s daughter, she was identical to say the least!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So "Box Office analysts" blame Millenials and the "Z generation" for not being familiar with The Shining. :lol

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...0YdgiWC7LzBjC2Ec-r7c-BumpB1SGsrGRPg_wx0zPdpHY

Box office analysts say Doctor Sleep ran too long (roughly 151 minutes) and that many members of the millennial and Gen Z generations aren't necessarily familiar with The Shining (1979)

Best part, the "journalist" writing the article must be a "Millenial" too, since The Shining came out in 1980, not 79. :lol

Back