Who was the best Joker?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who was the best Joker?

• Joaquin Phoenix (The Joker)

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Cameron Monaghan (Gotham)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zach Galifianakis (LEGO Batman)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Jared Leto (Suicide Squad)

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Troy Baker (Arkham games)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Votes: 47 46.5%
  • Mark Hamill (Batman TAS)

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Jack Nicholson (Batman '89)

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Cesar Romero (Batman '66)

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I had a hard time with this -- for me, its between Nicholson and Ledger.

I went with Ledger ultimately, because he seemed so wrong for Joker and yet proved us all wrong. His Joker really reinvented what Joker could be. Nicholson was an obvious choice, and was basically Jack goofing around. He makes a fine Joker but he didn't have to really try.

For those curious, I think Joaquin Joker ranks third place for me.

I voted Joaquin.

He was a perfect balance of the theatrical and the menacing with even a dash of Romero with the makeup.

Nicholson was great but I thought he went too far with the silly fart sounds and things.

Never really watched BTAS so I can't comment on Hamill.

As a side note, Leto was perhaps the biggest missed opportunity. He seemed perfect for the role but we all know how the Snyderverse panned out (or not).

That brief glimpse of dead Robin's costume in BvS was powerful - I'm actually undecided whether it should have been left at that or explored further.

He was awesome and probably my favorite before Joaquin. But I do like Jokers who have a flare for the theatrical and Arthur dancing on the steps moments before executing someone on live television sealed the deal for me.

Last edited:
The perfect Joker would be a cross between Nicholson, Ledger, and Hamill. In the future when the technology exists to create ultra-realistic performances based on multiple footage inputs, I'm looking forward to waking up with my head thawed and put on a new monkey body, so I can enjoy the best of those performances combined into the ultimate Joker! And they'll have the ultimate Batman in it too, naturally... and dead Robin's suit will be explored more thoroughly in Dead Robin: The Prequel.

Ledger and Hamill for different reasons because they are different media. Hamill is perfect as a voice actor. If he ever did it onscreen he'd just be the Trickster again. And.. we haven't seen anything really like the Nolan world since.. Except Season 1 Arrow, which was effectively a lower budget TV copy.

A half dozen or so actors portraying the Joker in just 10-15 years (two major ones coming just a couple of years apart.) Nearly the same for Spiderman.:slap

Keep lining up at the trough and the feed will never stop I guess.:lol

Joaquin's is on another level. Makes Ledger's seem...theatrical. Just my 2 cents.

Phoenix made the biggest impression on me; he was scary and at the same time very vulnerable.
His laughter is wow and in make-up dancing the one.

Ledgers performance was utterly amazing until I saw Phoenix.

Hard to compare but if I had to choose, i'd lean towards Phoenix.

Amazing movie

Back