Empire Magazine's 30th Anniversary: 30 Most Iconic films since 1989

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
30 different magazine covers celebrating the films below.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-s-30th-anniversary-edition-30-covers-revealed/

#1- Batman (1989, Tim Burton)
#2 – GoodFellas (1990, Martin Scorsese)
#3 – Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991, James Cameron)
#4 – Reservoir Dogs (1992, Quentin Tarantino)
#5 – Jurassic Park (1993, Steven Spielberg)
#6 – The Shawshank Redemption (1994, Frank Darabont)
#7 – Toy Story (1995, John Lasseter)
#8 – Scream (1996, Wes Craven)
#9 – Titanic (1997, James Cameron)
#10 – Blade (1998, Stephen Norrington)
#11 – The Matrix (1999, The Wachowskis)
#12 – American Psycho (2000, Mary Harron)
#13 – The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001, Peter Jackson)
#14 – Spirited Away (2002, Hayao Miyazaki)
#15 – Lost In Translation (2003, Sofia Coppola)
#16 – Shaun Of The Dead (2004, Edgar Wright)
#17 – Brokeback Mountain (2005, Ang Lee)
#18 – Pan’s Labyrinth (2006, Guillermo del Toro)
#19 – No Country For Old Men (2007, The Coen Brothers)
#20 – The Dark Knight (2008, Christopher Nolan)
#21 – Avatar (2009, James Cameron)
#22 – Inception (2010, Christopher Nolan)
#23 – Bridesmaids (2011, Paul Feig)
#24 – Avengers Assemble (2012, Joss Whedon)
#25 – Gravity (2013, Alfonso Cuaron)
#26 – Birdman (2014, Alejandro González Iñárritu)
#27 – Mad Max: Fury Road (2015, George Miller)
#28 – Moonlight (2016, Barry Jenkins)
#29 – Get Out (2017, Jordan Peele)
#30 – Black Panther (2018, Ryan Coogler)

It's subjective and the list is celebrating the most "iconic" films, not "best."

A lot of iconic characters and films didn't make the cut, but I guess there's too many to choose from. :)

If the list had to have a Tarantino flick, it should've been Pulp Fiction instead of Reservoir Dogs. Way more influential film.

If the list had to have a Tarantino flick, it should've been Pulp Fiction instead of Reservoir Dogs. Way more influential film.

I agree, but 1994 was a tough year to choose from. Forest Gump and Lion King also came out in 94 and are arguably just as iconic as Pulp Fiction. I'm surprised they chose The Shawshank Redemption over those other films. It got mixed reviews and it bombed at the box office. People love it now like it's the greatest film ever for some reason. :lol

Reservoir Dogs wasn't even a hit in 1992, far from "most iconic" film in 1992, imo. Aladdin, A Few Good Men and Basic Instict are more iconic.

In all fairness Black Panther was technically a game-changer in the sense that it was a massive boost in MCU quality after the movie that directly preceded it, lol.

Last edited:
Lost in Translation?

Inception?

Moonlight?

Black Panther?

Iconic? Game changers?

Black Panther makes total sense tho.

Inception also because what other film from 2010 would you pick?

Lost in Translation (2003) shouldn't be on the list. Pirates of the Caribbean, Kill Bill, and X Men 2 are more iconic.

Black Panther was only a game-changer in the sense that it was a massive boost in MCU quality after the movie that directly preceded it, lol.

You guys are ignoring the cultural impact it had. Also the fact it was a huge blockbuster film with an all black cast and director and the first comic film to be nominated for best picture makes the obvious choice.

I'm sure you want Infinity War instead, but what did IW do besides make a lot of money? End Game tops it even financially.

Pirates for sure.

Not sure what the choices are for 2010... but some years there's just nothing "iconic".

Black Panther is just another MCU popcorn-fest. There had been 18 or so already before it. I think its "iconic-ness" may be less apparent over the years as its luster fades and is even more diluted within the expansive MCU.

Maybe you need time to get some perspective on iconic-ness...

I loved Gravity at the time but have been unable to watch it again since. And as much as I love Mad Max, not sure its "iconic" of 2015.

You guys are ignoring the cultural impact it had. Also the fact it was a huge blockbuster film with an all black cast and director and the first comic film to be nominated for best picture makes the obvious choice.

I'm sure you want Infinity War instead, but what did IW do besides make a lot of money? End Game tops it even financially.

I never ignored its cultural impact. I loved BP but it's not the caliber of film that comes to mind when I think of "game-changer".

Which reminds me - I need to send jye4ever a free BP steelbook to show my appreciation for his love of the movie. :lol

Definitely some odd choices if they're going for what was most "iconic" of a given year.

I love Spirited Away but no way is anything in that film as iconic in pop culture as the upside down kiss in Spider-Man or the introduction of "My precioussss."

Ditto for Lost in Translation. I absolutely love that film as well. But no way in hell does it trump the iconography of Jack Sparrow, Uma Thurman in her yellow Kill Bill outfit, or Andy Lincoln holding holding the "To me you are perfect" sign in front of Kiera Knightley on Christmas Eve.

Maybe you need time to get some perspective on iconic-ness...

I loved Gravity at the time but have been unable to watch it again since. And as much as I love Mad Max, not sure its "iconic" of 2015.

Gravity (2013) - I think time will tell
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - I consider it iconic...I've seen memes
Moonlight (2016) - I would pick Dead Pool instead

Get Out (2017) was a big deal if you look outside your bubble. Wonder Woman could be a better choice tho.

Birdman (2014), I agree it should have been John Wick or GOTG. No one remembers Birdman.

Yeah, I don't think they understand what Iconic means, even Avatar isn't particularly iconic

Everyone knows what Avatar is and recognizes those them blue cats. Popular and iconic are two different things. :dunno Ii don't like Avatar, but I'm not going to pretend like it wasn't the biggest film ever and like I don't recognize the iconography. It even has a theme park.

Back