Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Asmus Toys 1/6 Azog..?

Getting a lot of feedback on the 1/4 Azog, as said in one of our replies that we've been hesitant on releasing AZOG in 1/6 because for one Hobbit line is a harder sell and two we were looking to expand our collection a little. We didn't want to create a conflict between our own products so we weren't keen on making Azog in 1/6 too. But now we are open for discussion seeing all your comments. So basically would 1/6 be worth diving into and would it clash with the 1/4 we had already planned?

1/6 for me... it's pointless to have a 1/4 version.of this character if the rest of the line focus on 1/6 scale....

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Asmus View Post
    Getting a lot of feedback on the 1/4 Azog, as said in one of our replies that we've been hesitant on releasing AZOG in 1/6 because for one Hobbit line is a harder sell and two we were looking to expand our collection a little. We didn't want to create a conflict between our own products so we weren't keen on making Azog in 1/6 too. But now we are open for discussion seeing all your comments. So basically would 1/6 be worth diving into and would it clash with the 1/4 we had already planned?
    I would not buy a 1:4 Azog statue but would buy a 1:6 action figure to display with Thorin, Bilbo, etc. Visible joints would not be an issue and actually preferable to any alternative I could think of.

Your Hobbit line got off to a rough start because of the initial character choices. Bard was a good figure but just wasn't that popular of a character, while Tauriel's likeness was off and was also a character that some didn't like to begin as she wasn't in the books. That said, I still own both. Bilbo and Thorin were both excellent, and I think people would jump on ordering Dwalin, Balin, Kili, Fili, and Bofur (among others) if they were of similar quality to Gimli and Thorin. I know I was disappointed when you said you decided against King Dain.

I won’t buy a 1/4, but would definitely buy a 1/6.
    That said, I’d rather have more dwarves than Azog.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    15 (100%)
    The Hobbit is a wierd one. LotR is endearingly popular because the films were fantastic and they came out at a time where they dominated cinema for three years with no real competition for that Christmas movie slot. They were also fairly faithful adaptations of the books and for a whole generation of kids they are literally their favourite movies (these kids are now in their mid 20s to early 30s with lots of disposable income). They also appealed to a wider older audience who were familiar with the books and enjoy them as their top fantasy film trilogy.

This combined with Asmus' ever improving figure quality, commitment to going deep in the line and openness with collectors has created the perfect storm of collectors likewise wanting to commit these releases, picking up side characters, clamouring for re-releases of fan favourites and always asking for Faramir (that last one might just be me haha!).

The hobbit came out later under the weight of the MCU and other strong competition like Harry Potter. The films are good but they failed to quite capture that magic of the LotR and they strayed far from the books. The core fanbase of kids who grew up and loved them are not yet old enough to spend all their money on nostalgia inspired collectibles. So unfortunately I think Asmus are relying on sales from the LotR's fans and I think we are looking to be a bit more selective with our choices. The majority only looking to pick up essential characters or ones with cool designs like Thranduil!!!

As others have mentioned, Asmus choices for the first few characters were probably not the best in hindsight. Bard is a key character in the book but other than taking out Smaug was fairly sidelined in the films. Tauriel wasn't in the books and the figure had issues (although I think an improved head re-release at the same time as Kili would get her to sell).

Azog is a new character relatively speaking but his design is super cool. If the figure looks good he would sell as he would go great as a companion piece with your excellent Thorin. If you do him please don't go seamless, joints are ok and preferable. I want to be able to put him in cool poses without worrying he will fall apart (like so many hot toys). I also think you might do well with Bolg.

The main dwarves would definitely sell well; Fili, Kili, Bofur, Balin and Dwalin.

Radaghast would probably do well too (though he does not appeal to me personally) because he would go well with the other Wizards and Asmus do wizards so well.

Thain on his steed I think would do surprisingly well because it looks cool again.

Just my thoughts which I hope you will find helpful... Make Faramir pleeeeeeeeeease haha
    Last edited by Bravomite; 08-01-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    ^^^ All very good points. I also believe the Hobbit was stretched way too much. It was a single book, fairly light-hearted and was turned into an epic trilogy that nobody was really looking for. I realise other middle -earth content was added, but two movies could of easily summed it up!

I would buy a 1/6 figure, not a 1/4. I agree with the points exposed above.

1/6th for me also. No interest in statues or 1/4th. Azog had a great design and was one of the best parts of the Hobbit trilogy for me. Manu Bennett did a great job on the performance considering how last minute the final version of the character was!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bravomite View Post
    The Hobbit is a wierd one. LotR is endearingly popular because the films were fantastic and they came out at a time where they dominated cinema for three years with no real competition for that Christmas movie slot. They were also fairly faithful adaptations of the books and for a whole generation of kids they are literally their favourite movies (these kids are now in their mid 20s to early 30s with lots of disposable income). They also appealed to a wider older audience who were familiar with the books and enjoy them as their top fantasy film trilogy.

Just my thoughts which I hope you will find helpful... Make Faramir pleeeeeeeeeease haha

Agree with everything youve said. I'm a massive LOTR fan and always have been, whereas the Hobbit just wasnt quite there like LOTR was.

If the Hobbit line isnt selling so well, I wouldnt put it down to being 1/6 and try 1/4. Personally I would divert the time into making more LOTR 1/6.

Lets see this beautiful one before CGI mess of Azog!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71fb5f178b6b19b1d9a3df6bab007398a3bbdbbar1-500-308v2_00.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	463241

Super Freak
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    It may be comparing apples to oranges but if the market isn't there for a 1/6th scale articulated Azog why would it be there for a 1/4 scale limited articulation statue?