Asmus Toys 1/6 Azog..?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asmus

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Getting a lot of feedback on the 1/4 Azog, as said in one of our replies that we've been hesitant on releasing AZOG in 1/6 because for one Hobbit line is a harder sell and two we were looking to expand our collection a little. We didn't want to create a conflict between our own products so we weren't keen on making Azog in 1/6 too. But now we are open for discussion seeing all your comments. So basically would 1/6 be worth diving into and would it clash with the 1/4 we had already planned?

1/6 for me... it's pointless to have a 1/4 version.of this character if the rest of the line focus on 1/6 scale....

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Getting a lot of feedback on the 1/4 Azog, as said in one of our replies that we've been hesitant on releasing AZOG in 1/6 because for one Hobbit line is a harder sell and two we were looking to expand our collection a little. We didn't want to create a conflict between our own products so we weren't keen on making Azog in 1/6 too. But now we are open for discussion seeing all your comments. So basically would 1/6 be worth diving into and would it clash with the 1/4 we had already planned?

I would not buy a 1:4 Azog statue but would buy a 1:6 action figure to display with Thorin, Bilbo, etc. Visible joints would not be an issue and actually preferable to any alternative I could think of.

Your Hobbit line got off to a rough start because of the initial character choices. Bard was a good figure but just wasn't that popular of a character, while Tauriel's likeness was off and was also a character that some didn't like to begin as she wasn't in the books. That said, I still own both. Bilbo and Thorin were both excellent, and I think people would jump on ordering Dwalin, Balin, Kili, Fili, and Bofur (among others) if they were of similar quality to Gimli and Thorin. I know I was disappointed when you said you decided against King Dain.

I won’t buy a 1/4, but would definitely buy a 1/6.
That said, I’d rather have more dwarves than Azog.

The Hobbit is a wierd one. LotR is endearingly popular because the films were fantastic and they came out at a time where they dominated cinema for three years with no real competition for that Christmas movie slot. They were also fairly faithful adaptations of the books and for a whole generation of kids they are literally their favourite movies (these kids are now in their mid 20s to early 30s with lots of disposable income). They also appealed to a wider older audience who were familiar with the books and enjoy them as their top fantasy film trilogy.

This combined with Asmus' ever improving figure quality, commitment to going deep in the line and openness with collectors has created the perfect storm of collectors likewise wanting to commit these releases, picking up side characters, clamouring for re-releases of fan favourites and always asking for Faramir (that last one might just be me haha!).

The hobbit came out later under the weight of the MCU and other strong competition like Harry Potter. The films are good but they failed to quite capture that magic of the LotR and they strayed far from the books. The core fanbase of kids who grew up and loved them are not yet old enough to spend all their money on nostalgia inspired collectibles. So unfortunately I think Asmus are relying on sales from the LotR's fans and I think we are looking to be a bit more selective with our choices. The majority only looking to pick up essential characters or ones with cool designs like Thranduil!!!

As others have mentioned, Asmus choices for the first few characters were probably not the best in hindsight. Bard is a key character in the book but other than taking out Smaug was fairly sidelined in the films. Tauriel wasn't in the books and the figure had issues (although I think an improved head re-release at the same time as Kili would get her to sell).

Azog is a new character relatively speaking but his design is super cool. If the figure looks good he would sell as he would go great as a companion piece with your excellent Thorin. If you do him please don't go seamless, joints are ok and preferable. I want to be able to put him in cool poses without worrying he will fall apart (like so many hot toys). I also think you might do well with Bolg.

The main dwarves would definitely sell well; Fili, Kili, Bofur, Balin and Dwalin.

Radaghast would probably do well too (though he does not appeal to me personally) because he would go well with the other Wizards and Asmus do wizards so well.

Thain on his steed I think would do surprisingly well because it looks cool again.

Just my thoughts which I hope you will find helpful... Make Faramir pleeeeeeeeeease haha

Last edited:
^^^ All very good points. I also believe the Hobbit was stretched way too much. It was a single book, fairly light-hearted and was turned into an epic trilogy that nobody was really looking for. I realise other middle -earth content was added, but two movies could of easily summed it up!

I would buy a 1/6 figure, not a 1/4. I agree with the points exposed above.
:)

1/6th for me also. No interest in statues or 1/4th. Azog had a great design and was one of the best parts of the Hobbit trilogy for me. Manu Bennett did a great job on the performance considering how last minute the final version of the character was!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Hobbit is a wierd one. LotR is endearingly popular because the films were fantastic and they came out at a time where they dominated cinema for three years with no real competition for that Christmas movie slot. They were also fairly faithful adaptations of the books and for a whole generation of kids they are literally their favourite movies (these kids are now in their mid 20s to early 30s with lots of disposable income). They also appealed to a wider older audience who were familiar with the books and enjoy them as their top fantasy film trilogy.

Just my thoughts which I hope you will find helpful... Make Faramir pleeeeeeeeeease haha

Agree with everything youve said. I'm a massive LOTR fan and always have been, whereas the Hobbit just wasnt quite there like LOTR was.

If the Hobbit line isnt selling so well, I wouldnt put it down to being 1/6 and try 1/4. Personally I would divert the time into making more LOTR 1/6.

Lets see this beautiful one before CGI mess of Azog!

71fb5f178b6b19b1d9a3df6bab007398a3bbdbbar1-500-308v2_00.jpg

Agree with everything youve said. I'm a massive LOTR fan and always have been, whereas the Hobbit just wasnt quite there like LOTR was.

If the Hobbit line isnt selling so well, I wouldnt put it down to being 1/6 and try 1/4. Personally I would divert the time into making more LOTR 1/6.

Lets see this beautiful one before CGI mess of Azog!

View attachment 463241

I'm in pretty much agreement with the above.

Most LOTR figures will sell significantly better than The Hobbit figures. I personally have no interest in Azog in any scale. A well done Lurtz would sell well and perhaps even boost sales of Boromir and Saruman 2.0...

I'm not interested in Azog. However, I can see for people that were, 1/6 is the way to go. Its really weird to display a collection of figures together when one of them is of a different scale. Even if you have to make him into a statue, I think 1/6 is the way to go so it will at least be in scale to the rest of the middle earth figures you guys made. Most of us can understand that Hobbit doesn't sell as well as LotR but I think going into a different scale won't boost sales for that license.

Some time ago I committed to stick with one scale and that is 1/6th. I have always preferred articulated figures to statues so I would definitely be in for a 1/6th AF of Azog but no other format.

I thought your statue of him at SDCC was amazing but would love to see that translated into 1/6th scale figure form.

I agree with above posts on the Hobbit films. While I did find them extremely entertaining and love any time spent in Middle Earth, they stretched them out way too far. The last two films combined are literally the last 60 pages of the book and I don't like the amusement park barrel ride deviance from the books but can deal with Tauriel and Legolas' presence because I love Elves.

Speaking of which, I would gladly take Galadriel and Elrond in their battle outfits when they joined Gandalf and Sauruman against the Nazgul from that scene in the Hobbit films.

Hi Asmus,

Definitely I would want a 1/6 Azog.

I really hope you aren’t finished with your Hobbit line. I would want more of the dwarfs.
Your Thorin and Gimli are excellent figures and I’d love to add more dwarfs to my collection.

Figures I’d like from the Hobbit are:

Azog
Radagast
Balin
Dwalin
Beorn (man form)
Dain Ironfoot
Bolg

Really I’d like all of Thorin’s company of Dwarfs. But I don’t know if there is an appetite out there for all of them but I for one would want them.
Have you ever thought of a system like Kickstarter for certain figures? If you don’t get enough support for a figure you don’t make it?
Just a thought.

Maybe everyone on this thread should list off the Hobbit figures they would like to see made to give you an idea of what figures people want.

Agree with what others have said - although not a character I'm interested in adding to my collection, I reckon it'd be best to make him in 1/6 scale to go with the rest of the figures.

The Hobbit films have grown on me over time and I do enjoy watching them. Do feel the overuse of CGI spoils it a bit in places, whereas the characters and MIddle Earth in LOTR felt more 'real' (if that makes sense!). Despite that I loved Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin in them tho and the scenes with the White Council were great too. I just wish they'd have stuck to two films as they originally intended, as there was way too much filler and I didn't care at all for all the extra elf stuff involving Legolas and especially Tauriel - although Thranduil was pretty awesome. :)

No interest in any hobbit line figures.

Sauron on the other hand... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have most of Hobbit and LOTR 1/6 scale figurines and I want Azrog also in 1/6 scale. I am only collecting 1/6 scale action figurines and I have no interest in 1/4 statue. Please do 1/6 scale action figurine of Azrog.

I don't want to diss someone else's love, but I feel like there are more memorable orcs that R&D time can be dedicated to who will sell better.

Back