Any pics of Ignite figures in hand?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abake

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
Reaction score
Any pics of Ignite figures in hand? (Now with Hospitaller pics)

I noticed that monkeydepot has them all on sale, and some look really nice, but I really don't know what the overall quality is like...

Last edited:
Several reviews here: https://www.mwctoys.com/reviews-military.htm

I have a gew and frankly they could be better. The headsculpts for one are always crap, but that can be easily switched. The chainmail doesn't look fabulous, but some will say that it is the best made to date. The weapons are usually very nice, the armour goodlooking, and so on... bottom line, they're the only company doing these kind of figures so we just need to be happy. With a little work they can turn out real good - just check some stuff at OSW - but I personally don't agree with the pricing.

hey abake,

Here is a post I started a while back, regarding your same question. There are also some pictures there for reference. The Ignite figures are too soft and don't compare with others out there but their armor and accessories are very cool. Later in the line things went from metal to plastic and i think this drove many collectors away, but they seem to have reversed gears and are making their way back to metal. The new legionaires look very cool and I will probably get some. heres that link:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17271

Well, very soon I'll be posting pics of my very own Ignite Teutonic Knight!

I finally had to have one... I've been following these Knights since they were first released, but never actually ordered one, because they just didn't seem to look that great in reviews.
But they are much cheaper now, and I feel more comfortable about kit-bashing relatively expensive figures, so we'll see.
I'll wait to have him in hand before I decide whether I get parts from DML's Timeline figures to "upgrade" this guy.

I'm after some Ignite Vikings now. Need to get what I can.
Great figures. Glad to hear they are doing some weathered ones.

Here's a cheesy pic of some of my Crusaders. I have a few more knights as well as the 1st Greek Hoplite (blue clothes). Love everything about the figures except the weak-ass bodies. They really suck, and I would love to swap them out with Hot Toys GL bods (muscle bod for the Hoplite).

ignitecrusaders.jpg

Oh that's beautiful!
Thanks for the pic Reefer.

I thought I had finally found a place where they still had the Hospitaller Knight in-stock, but alas, they hadn't updated their site...

f any of you fine gentlemen know of a site where it is to be found, please LMK.

Thanks!

The Teutonic Knight should be in my hands next week, so hopefully I'll have some pics to share then.

These guys have the blue Hospitaller in stock for $58 Blue Knight @ Tommy's Toys

They also have the black and white AWOH exclusive (ltd to 300) for $68 Exclusive Knight I've bought a few Ignite figures from these guys, and they were nice and smooth transactions!

Haven't seen the Black Hospitaller lately though, which is unfortunate because that one has the cool cape.. I'll post if I see it anywhere.

Alright!

I finally found one site that did have the Hospitaller in stock and he's already on is way!
The Teutonic should be here friday or early next week at the latest and I guess the Hospitaller will arrive a week later.
I'll post pics when I get them and will then start to customize and weather them.

Here's the link if anybody's looking for the figure:
https://www.wilhelmsreich.com/store/view_product.php?product=CU-011

Last edited:
Alright!
Teutonic's here!

I'm at work, so I barley had time to unpack him and put his gear on.
First impression: it's a beautiful figure!
Sure, the chain mail is a bit shiny, some of the gear looks a bit plastic-y and the body sucks beyond words, but it is one impressive figure!
Maybe it's just because it's my first knight ever, but the figure just looks fantastic...
I'm very happy and can't wait to start futzing and customizing it, I'm sure it'll look a zillion times better.

I can't take any pictures now, and tonight the flash will make it look terrible, so I'll wait until the weekend to make a decent photo review.

Last edited:
GOD WILLS IT!

DSC00388.jpg

Ok, so I've had more time to pla... err, study my new Ignite Teutonic Knight!
My first impression is ratified: it is a beautiful figure!

These knights will certainly catch the eye in anybody's collection, no doubt about it.

DSC00400.jpg

Let's do a quick review.

1. Body/Articulation
I know I said it sucked, but it doesn't suck that much. The one big flaw that made me think it was unredeemable was the fact that the wrists only have a swiveling joint. I suppose the reasoning behing this is the weight of the metal weapons. Other than that, it is a perfectly reasonable body. It reminds me of old DML bodies: perfectly serviceable. The overwhelmingly positive thing about it is that it has a brilliant balance! The figure holds difficult poses (with heavy metal helmet on) with no problem, balancing metal axe and metal sword in each hand. Very nice.

DSC00396.jpg

2. Headsculpt
You know, I was surprised at how much better the HS looks in person than on any photo I have ever seen. It is a loooong way from my personal faves, the last generation pale-faced DML headsculpts, but it has character and the paint apps are very clean. I will have it repainted for sure, but it is not a throw-away sculpt. Oh, and mine has a spot where the paint rubbed off on the tip of the nose. Maybe it was the helmet (take it off before doing anything to the figure, otherwise it just bag around against he HS)

DSC00391.jpg

3. Uniform
I'm extremely impressed with the uniform. The ammount of layers of clothing this guy has is phenomenal, and all the materilas used are top notch quality. The tunic has a rough feeling to it, which makes it look perfect as some kind of heavy/coarse fabric. The cape on the other hand is made of some shiny and heavy material, but Ignite has used it inside out (my guess) so that the shiny part is inside, but you still get the beautiful drape and hang of a real cape on the figure. The chain mail looks much better in person than in photos, it is a very thin material (it is actually translucent, you can see the fabric of the uniform underneath), but it looks very durable. Still, care in handling it is probably in order, to prevent it from snagging anywhere. It is shiny, there is no going around that, but it doesn't look bad. It's not the Mego chain mail...
All the other stuff he has underneath looks equally impressive, but I did not have the stomach to undress the figure, as there are no fasteners on the tunic... it is a real tunic! I'm guessing the chain mail is the same, just a slip on affair, just like the real thing...

DSC00390.jpg

4. Gear/Weapons
Let me gets this straight out: the shield is a work of beauty! Simply beautifully made and detailed, the wood grain on the inside and the whole arrangement for holding it are simply awesome! My only gripe would be that there is a bit of bleed on the paint apps of the metal frame. Oterwise it is perfect. I don't know why it is so shiny, but all of the gear is pretty shiny. I guess the Teutonic Knights were a vain buch.

DSC00402.jpg

The sword and dagger sheaths are also very shiny and devoid of any texture. Why this is so, I have no idea, but they look like the scabbards (is that the word?) for japanese katanas so smooth and shiny is the finish (would these guys use lacquered wood? not likely). I would like to think about some weathering for this, but first I'd like to understand what would be usual for these Knights.
The belts are a very rubbery plastic. Which is a shame, 'cause the spurs are made with a very nice red pleather! I wonder why Ignite didn't go with pleather for the belts as well (all the stuff on the shield is pleather too). Again I guess they feared the weight of the weapons would stretch it too much.

DSC00395.jpg

And on to the metal bits!
The helmet is fantastic! Probably a bit too big, but it looks fine to me, very detailed and with decent weathering. The winged horns are plastic, but the paint apps are identical to the metal. The sword and axe are nice and hefty, the axe's handle has a nice woodgrain texture, but the paint apps could be improved. The sword's hilt is a bit plain, but very cleanly done and painted.

So that's it.
Don't get me wrong, there's lots that can be improved on this figure, and I don't think I will ever pay full price for these Knights, but if you can find them inbetween 50 and 60 bucks, they are simply awesome!
I think Ignite is where DML was a few years ago: kings of their niche, and having made improvements that nobody had ever thought of, they can get away with a lot...
I can only imagine if DiD ever decided to do Knights. Knowing their penchant for using real materials (metal, wood, leather), I bet they would make quite an impression on this particular niche.

A few more pics just for the hell of it!

I wish there was some way of making the chain mail sit better on his head...

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

And next to our good old Gondorian, Boromir.

DSC00404.jpg

Sorry about the rough pics, but lighting conditions were appaling and I didn't want to use flash...

Hope you enjoyed!

Damn!
Not that is a Knight!

Awesome, where did you find that pic? I'd love to see more to try and understand how it was weathered.

Hey Dooomhammer, Where did you get the horse blanket and flag?

For the record: It's not mine!

It's another masterpiece by Tiger Calico (you know, the guy of those great ACW customs). found it here but you'll need to register, so allow me to get you some shortcuts to pics:

https://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4598/t3ui4.jpg
https://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1429/txn3.jpg
https://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8440/t6dd2.jpg
https://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4794/t7mo7.jpg
https://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3369/t9uy0.jpg
https://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1636/t11zk8.jpg

I enjoy showing you guys these customs because they prove the potential of the sometimes dull and toyish military figures. Mix them with a bit of creativity, some guts and a load of patience and you have a unique greatlooking piece.

Btw be sure to get us some pics of the black knight when he arrives, I have a great custom to show you when you do.

Shades of the KKK!!

Those are some very impressive Ka-nig-its, Mr. Abake. They remind me a lot of the 1938 movie "Aleksandr Nevskiy" (the "whose turn is it to throw a baby on the fire?" fame). I have purchsed a few of the odd pieces now and again loose for my armoury, but I collect Greeks (also from Ignite). No, the bodies are not so bad. I've seen worse and starting out with GI Joe in the mid '60's these things are light years above them. I have aquired several nude Ignite bodies just for the face sculpts. Good Show, Old Boot!!

Mr. Doomhammer, I just love that charger. With the influence of Aleksandr Nevskiy (once again) I bought a set of these in 25mm lead soldiers with the intent of wargaming with them in the late '70's. But I never got around to doing anything with them. The ones that I invisioned for myself were pretty close to Calico's, but not near so good. Thank you for sharing his work with us.

I've been very pleased with the releases from Ignite on non run-of-the-mill historical periods. Even their Civil War soldiers were from the early period.

Thanks for the photographs, Mr. Abake. You have a rather spiffin' collection of period pieces going for you.

Rabbit

Back