Autograph on Hot Toy, what's it do to sale price?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Walker

Super Freak
Reaction score
My nephew is wanting to sell his AoU Cap, and he had it signed by Chris Evans when we went to CC in New Orleans. Autograph is on the shield.

What's it do to the value?

We have photos of him getting it signed, so it's authentic.

Thanks.

51361d2baa75df467f8f43bfcacd35fb.jpg

If it's on the shield I think it would up the price. Honestly kind of a shame he's selling it because I think that's wicked awesome. Though from my experiences with signed stuff I don't think it would increase the value as much as you'd think because a lot of stuff surrounding signed items is very much based on the individuals personal experience of actually getting it signed in the first place.

Hard to say with Hot Toys. I feel like the preferred area for signatures is on a nameplate or somewhere that isn't actually on the figure. That said, a replacement shield wouldn't be too hard to get if the person wanted an alternative display, and just put the signed one on it's own or something...

Signed stuff has become a lot harder to sell recently unless it's authenticated by an official source. I don't think Marvel has one yet. Lucasfilm started their new authentication stickers/etc in 2016. So anything that gets signed at conventions has the hologram and you can look up the code on their site and it tells you exactly what the item is, when it was signed, etc.

Monetary value for an autograph depends mainly on 3 things:
1. The rarity/uniqueness of the signature aka does the person sign a lot of things?
2. The rarity of the item being signed.
3. The rarity of the person aka are they still alive and how famous are they?

In this case I would say the signature would not increase the value by any significant amount. Chris Evans is still alive and he signs a lot of items relating to Captain America. Also, I'm not sure having the shield itself signed was a better choice than the outer box art or the clear inner box. If it was one of those prop shields then yes because that is the whole item but the figure is the item and a collector who displays it might not want a signature when posing it with the accessories. If it were my nephew I would tell him to keep it.

Of course, this is all my opinion but I did watch a ton of pawn stars back in the day so I guess you could say I'm an expert. :wink1:

Monetary value for an autograph depends mainly on 3 things:
1. The rarity/uniqueness of the signature aka does the person sign a lot of things?
2. The rarity of the item being signed.
3. The rarity of the person aka are they still alive and how famous are they?

In this case I would say the signature would not increase the value by any significant amount. Chris Evans is still alive and he signs a lot of items relating to Captain America. Also, I'm not sure having the shield itself signed was a better choice than the outer box art or the clear inner box. If it was one of those prop shields then yes because that is the whole item but the figure is the item and a collector who displays it might not want a signature when posing it with the accessories. If it were my nephew I would tell him to keep it.

Of course, this is all my opinion but I did watch a ton of pawn stars back in the day so I guess you could say I'm an expert. :wink1:

My sentiments as well.

As unique as it is, if I were looking for a HT to display, I personally wouldn’t want one with a signature on it.

Yeah, I was thinking it may actually decrease value. Guess all depends on buyer.

I bought it for him, but I don't think he was really ever "in to it" too much (collecting). :dunno

I think he would do better by buying a replacement shield on eBay and then selling the autographed shield and newly complete figure separately. But I know nothing more than watching a bunch of Pawn Stars on youtube. :rotfl

It lowers the value to me. Maybe if the box or stand were signed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My sentiments as well.

As unique as it is, if I were looking for a HT to display, I personally wouldn’t want one with a signature on it.

If it was me and I was posing it, I'd put a regular shield on the arm of the figure, and display the sig shield with the display somehow..

If it was me and I was posing it, I'd put a regular shield on the arm of the figure, and display the sig shield with the display somehow..

That's what I'd do.
I have a signed The Dark World poster from Tom Hiddleston when he came out to Sydney to promote Dark World.
Have my Loki figure in front of it.😁

Back