Worst Sideshow´s SDCC in years?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Pakiti

Super Freak
Reaction score
Oh man...there is nothing new about Star Wars from Sideshow right? Usually Sideshow brings a lot of new stuff to San Diego Comic Con...in past years almost 2-3 news Premium Formats and Sixth Scales Figures for event...but this year is a repetition of the last year stuffs. What happen? The last premium formats (Han Solo ESB, Luke Bespin, Leia ANH...) go bad in sellings. Princess Leia and Obi-Wan EX are still in stock. You can believe it? I´m afraid the PF line is in his lower hours.

Most think SSC gave up the license. My first couple years of collecting was kind of boring just some TF statues, GG Star Wars maquettes, until I found SSC Star Wars PF, dioramas. When they showed that SSC Speeder Bike PF in 2007 I was like wow and who is this SSC, I ordered it and SSC was my company, 4 Star Wars PF a year and 4 Star Wars dioramas. Was so hyped about each Q to find out what the new PF or dio they would have.
It's not just SSC
Iron Studios isn't making much Star Wars
GG hasn't made much for many years.
Just HT makes figures, I don't collect figures

Think the last rumor was that Sideshow renegotiating around Celebration I think, hopefully they at least have concept art to go up today at the Collectors Panel for Star Wars.

But the worst piece of their last few years...I'd honestly go with their recent Bespin Luke. Collectors have been looking forward to a Bespin Luke PF for years, and a good Luke Skywalker would get a lot of people on board, even casual collectors who are looking for that ultimate Luke Skywalker in their collection. Instead we got a tip toeing Luke Skywalker who looks like he's trying to walk on a tight rope instead of confronting Vader on Bespin. I'd argue you can put Bespin Han Solo here as well.

Their First Order Stormtrooper and Captain Phasma are also very lackluster, the Phasma especially comes off as very lazy and sloppy. Also for the price they're asking for Kylo Ren, Rogue One Vader and Old Ben Kenobi (were not sure about him yet I think?), they need to come with light up accessories. Light-up sabers have been a staple for lightsaber characters for years, suddenly they go cheap and change that?

Sideshow did that all to themselves... cant blame the customers not buying if their statues are heartlessly made and designed

Sideshow did that all to themselves... cant blame the customers not buying if their statues are heartlessly made and designed

quoted for truth!

P1 needs to take over. such a huge untapped market.

I agree with all of this. The leadership has lost their mojo. Artists not getting proper guidance.

Sideshow not at the star wars collectors panel. First time i’ve seen this at comic con. However hot toys was mentioned but not sideshow at all. License seems to be gone for future pieces. Which is why it’s all previous work and distribution. All rumor but noshow sideshow.

Just like Disney, it's all about the quick buck and not thinking long term. New characters suck, and no real love is given to the originals. The new releases of Luke, Vader, and Han are lazy and crap in my book.

Just like Disney, it's all about the quick buck and not thinking long term. New characters suck, and no real love is given to the originals. The new releases of Luke, Vader, and Han are lazy and crap in my book.

I completely agree with you. Vader in particular is so damn expensive but looks like poop and doesn't even have a light up.

Unfortunate because we might go without some major 1/4 releases like Lando, PT Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu,Tie Fighter Pilot and Qui-Gon Jinn for the foreseeable future and that is before going into the expanded TV universe with Ahsoka, Thrawn, Clones, Cad Bane and new shows like The Mandalorian and Cassian.

Sideshow losing the license is a good thing. Give it to a company that will make quality products going forward and that doesn't have a monopoly to become lazy.

It’s unfortunate, whatever’s going on. I’m not a statue collector but would like to see their future efforts with their 1/6 line if they could put out a 2-3 figures a year like the past new or reissued. I’ve always wanted to see what Blitzway could do with the license.

I don't think another company will get the license for 1/6. I imagine HT will be the only game in town now.

Its Sideshows price politics since about 5 years. PF went from 300 to 600 and 1:6 from 120/170 to 300. Look at the numbers of the limited edtions. Back in the days we had about 1500-3000 exclusives. Now we have edition sizes of 448 or 678........ collectors did not forgive this massive price jump (for basically the SAME stuff) and Sideshow now pays for that.

Current state of Star Wars...
The new trilogy sucks.
The price is insane.
The statues are meh with bonus jazz hands.

Yup - worst SDCC for SW - period!

It's never been this dry of excitement, even after the prequels finished there was plenty of things to look forward to.

The SW brand is in a really bad state at the moment :(

boggling to think that a franchise so absolutely endearing as STAR WARS had been so callously handled.

With no new product on the horizon, I've been snapping up some current release PF Star Wars at discounted prices. Just picked up Rey and BB8 PF for half price at Zing. Really happy with that!

With no new product on the horizon, I've been snapping up some current release PF Star Wars at discounted prices. Just picked up Rey and BB8 PF for half price at Zing. Really happy with that!

Might as well, and for that price you have to pull the trigger. Always liked their PF Rey, thought it was a good face sculpt.

I'm still eyeing Leia and Stormtrooper, will get them when sales pop up for them. No rush.

Back