Tthe Matrix 20th Anniversary rerelase

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for nostalgia, they should re-release the 1999 Wachowskis as part of the 20th too.:dunno

I tried to find ticket info but apparently this happened back in March.

Yeah, I don't think it was a "re-release" exactly (as in like hundreds of screens nationally for a week or two)- the sense I got was a handful of theaters did a few screenings.

More like an extended version of those 20th/25th anniversary screenings they did at the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd recently for The Crow, Deep Blue Sea etc. with cast/crew present. Seems like everything gets an anniversary these days.:lol

Even the TPM anniversary seemed kinda muted though.

Okay so just a little one-off. Yeah those are fortunately pretty common, especially if you're near an Alamo Drafthouse (which just announced a 35th anniversary screening of The Last Starfighter.)

Deep Blue Sea? :lol

''Can you remember where you were that momentous day when Deep Blue Sea premiered in cinemas?''

Yeah, right - when I saw that pop up that's where the "everything gets an anniversary..." thing became a thing.:lol

At the Chinese Theater with cast no less.:horror

But to be fair, I probably have a higher opinion of DBS than TPM, and yes, I recall where I was when I saw TPM (Chinese Theater ironically) mostly because I was so scarred.:rotfl

Okay so just a little one-off. Yeah those are fortunately pretty common, especially if you're near an Alamo Drafthouse (which just announced a 35th anniversary screening of The Last Starfighter.)

I saw TLSF in 1984. I like TLSF. Yet...

TLSF doesn't need nor deserve a 35th anniversary screening.:lol

This has got to stop. We are drowning in nostalgia.

Yeah, I don't think it was a "re-release" exactly (as in like hundreds of screens nationally for a week or two)- the sense I got was a handful of theaters did a few screenings.

More like an extended version of those 20th/25th anniversary screenings they did at the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd recently for The Crow, Deep Blue Sea etc. with cast/crew present. Seems like everything gets an anniversary these days.:lol

Even the TPM anniversary seemed kinda muted though.

Yeah, I figured. Was just hoping I actually managed to hear about one of these screenings in time. I always hear about these things afterward. So it seems my streak is intact. :p

This has got to stop. We are drowning in nostalgia.

I disagree. I love ongoing options to catch not just classics on the big screen but second and even third tier entries of yesteryear as well. It was fun taking my kids to The Dark Cystal and The Neverending Story last summer. Conan the Barbarian was one of my top theatrical experiences last year as well.

As for Deep Blue Sea, funnily enough I caught it three times on the big screen in 1999. Saw it with three groups of friends and just really enjoyed the tension and excitement. Haven't revisited it in many years though.

I disagree. I love ongoing options to catch not just classics on the big screen but second and even third tier entries of yesteryear as well. It was fun taking my kids to The Dark Cystal and The Neverending Story last summer. Conan the Barbarian was one of my top theatrical experiences last year as well.

As for Deep Blue Sea, funnily enough I caught it three times on the big screen in 1999. Saw it with three groups of friends and just really enjoyed the tension and excitement. Haven't revisited it in many years though.

Are you near a Draft House? How do you stay current with these sort of screenings?

I’ve been to the screening of the matrix at the alamo drafthouse and it was glorious with the sound system last year!! But something that official would had been amazing to attend!!

My best experience at the drafthouse was watching freaking Commando with a lit audience, it was amazingggg everyone was beyond into it, there’s a difference between watching this movie at home; knowing the lines and re watching it at the big screen with similar minded fans.

The only screening that had me crying like a ***** was Blade Runner with the 4k hdr treatment, hearing Vangelis in a theater was an emotional experience topped off by the ending,

And i thank the drafthouse because of it, i managed to see ghostbusters with an amazing audience, only to find out the first time i watched this movie in a theater was when my mom was pregnant, plus all of tarantino’s films with quote alongs and prop cap guns, this year they been mum on amazing re releases, waiting to see what pops up, i missed the dark knight 10 year anniversary because of work but as many times as i have watched the matrix, the perfect way for me was in the drafthouse, star wars has yet to be on the drafthouse but i would pay big bucks to attend the 70mm screening of Star Wars the way it was shown back in 1977, thanks to george lucas!!! Im still shocked he approved it in the first place since it’s been his biggest power play in a long time regarding the franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Matrix the best action movie of the 90s? Most influential for sure, the look, wire works, fighting and bullet time all copied by many films in the 2000s. My favorite film is T2, but I might give the fake title of best action film from the 90s to Matrix.

Oh, I do too, but it's when in the wider sense it's blocking new stuff that it kinda bugs me. The remake, sequels and reboot drive stems from nostalgia just as much as the anniversaries etc and in the past ten years the whole phenomenon seems to have just shut out a lot of original bigger movies (ie seems like studios would rather see another Transformers than something original in the same genre and at the same scale.) I just start to see conspiracy theories - is a 35th Last Starfighter screening coincidental given the reboot/sequel that's been bubbling for the past four years?:lol

And yeah, I think Deep Blue Sea might have gotten a boost from a Wired magazine article I saw when The Shallows came out saying DBS was the second best shark movie of all time... probably authored by the studio.:lol And interestingly, the DBS 20th screening at Mann's Chinese was actually part of the Alamo Drafthouse thing because it was connected to Birth.Death.Movies which is owned by Drafthouse.

Back