Buying too many Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackout124

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Been splurging on Hot Toys lately and it really has taken a toll on my bank account. Thinking about just picking up 1 each quarter of the year and fight the urge to not get any more than that. How do you guys manage your buys?

Don't buy on a whim. Come to the realization that you don't need these figures and that you merely want them. You'd be surprised at not buying something isn't the end of the world.

Don't buy on a whim. Come to the realization that you don't need these figures and that you merely want them. You'd be surprised at not buying something isn't the end of the world.

You don't need those HT. You can life fine with zero HT.

It's a hobby, you want it.

You should plan out what characters you want on your shelves and whether you're going to allow more than one iteration of any character. You might then need to sell off figures that are outside of the parameters you've set for future purchases, because having them will make it more difficult for you to stick to those parameters.

I try to buy a certain category. Right now it's marvel. But if you starting going outside, then you need to start paying off some quickly before it's too crazy. I try to paying off some of pre-orders to get reward points. I also keep an excel sheet on what's coming out. In this sheet, I also have a wish list. It's just self control.

Limiting to Marvel you're still potentially buying the majority of their output :lol

You gotta be more specific than that if you really want to cut down.

Limiting to Marvel you're still potentially buying the majority of their output :lol

You gotta be more specific than that if you really want to cut down.

just stick to 1 maker, 1 character & 1 scale, like Iron Man and you'll be fine.

It's a wonderful problem to have, I'll give you that.

Seriously TC, just fall back to what do you think your interests and virtues are.

I try to limit it to main characters. I’ve started getting Predators and I have 2 of the trio from the Predators movie, City Hunter and AvP Elder. Think i’ll just round that collection off with the last of the trio and a jungle Hunter then be done with Predators. When it comes to ThreeZero Game of Thrones I feel like I need them all lol

Stick to the main character for each movie and avoid villains / secondary characters. Films which are both critically and commercially successful, have much more memorable characters, so the figures are more desirable (and retain their value) than those from lesser movies.

Don't get sucked into paying scalper prices on Ebay, most of the time, you can get the figure you want at a reasonable price, if you wait long enough.

It’s tempting to go nuts with these things. I found that having dedicated shelf space is a great way to limit/reduce my purchases. Now if I see a release that tempts me, I look at the shelves to realise it just won’t fit.
I also had to sell some Star Wars sequel figures to get Jabba because I decided that the OT was what mattered most to me. I enjoyed those figures, but I don’t really miss them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s tempting to go nuts with these things. I found that having dedicated shelf space is a great way to limit/reduce my purchases. Now if I see a release that tempts me, I look at the shelves to realise it just won’t fit.
I also had to sell some Star Wars sequel figures to get Jabba because I decided that the OT was what mattered most to me. I enjoyed those figures, but I don’t really miss them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find shelf space too to be a better parameter to control collecting as well rather than any sort of theme, character focus, or other thumb rule. Helps keep the collection tidy, yet allows you to go far left field for something you really want that normally might not fit in with your stuff. The only question is will it be worth it to get rid of something else to make room.

Been splurging on Hot Toys lately and it really has taken a toll on my bank account. Thinking about just picking up 1 each quarter of the year and fight the urge to not get any more than that. How do you guys manage your buys?

What others posted. Target main or most-wanted figs; since I don't overturn figs ask myself long and hard do I want this fig on my shelf in a year. 3 years. 5 years. Really.

'coz it's expense and maintenance. IMO figs should be gone over, dusted, reposed, repaired as needed time to time. Also remind self that longevity past a few years is not guaranteed.

Finally HT is kinda insuring I ratchet back, 'coz they raise prices but IMO folks may not be getting what they pay for. I'm done coddling HT. Like for me one of the *marvels* of HT was workmanship, details, paint. The too-scale-ness of the costumes. I was gonna be all over the EG Cap - but. Proto looks too plastic for me.

I guess the answer's the "reality check". Like giving myself a few days and picturing the fig in-house. Also look over the expense 'coz all those POs can become a strain. Reality's not as fun as the 'zing' of grabbing for a new fig, but down the road it can be a relief to NOT be paying $$$$ for a fig that REALLY doesn't mean that much to you 6 months from now.

Don't get sucked into paying scalper prices on Ebay, most of the time, you can get the figure you want at a reasonable price, if you wait long enough

THIS. Plus the plastic/vinyl is aging anyway even NIB.

I find the best way is to buy the figure new.

Play with it for a few years.

By then, I have had my fill so to speak and pretty much played every possible poses with it.

Then sell it on quick before the rubber and pleather starts to deteriorate.

Most of the time, I can recuperate nearly two thirds of my initial outlay after ebay fees and carriage.

Although there was once where I was lucky with a figure and actually made quite a profit selling it on the secondary market.

So for a third of the total figure cost, I get to enjoy that initial shiny joy of a new toy yet its not costing me $300.

Sometimes, I do feel a bit guilty knowing the guy that buys my figure second hand is probably going to get burned a few years down the road as I now know that these figure only last 6-8yrs (Somebody said their HT Catwoman started flaking at year 4 so depending on the figure, it could be longer or shorter).

But I guess its a learning curve as I had to pay the dues myself before realising if I hold them too long; their values plummets once the pleather and rubber starts flaking,

Back