Why has the quality of Barbie dolls greatly declined?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CmdrShep2154

Freakalicious
Reaction score
How did we go from this

90s
50719e0bec4841acfdc6704cb75834fd--barbie-dress-barbie-clothes.jpg

2000s
4453815131_283341956b_b.jpg

to this?
GBK09_01

FXL50_01

FXL49_01

These new styles make me want to barf!

What happened?

These Barbies look amazing! It is a shame these can’t be found in stores!
https://www.instagram.com/barbiestyle/?hl=en

How does does Mattel make Barbies like this and turn around and push cheap crap on the consumer?
61768635_479483686129978_2033698757099156895_n.jpg

47582804_182424066047147_8061442923809099656_n.jpg

Several years ago there was a line of dolls called The Barbie Look but it seems like they haven’t produced any more dolls in that line for the past couple years.
18688860906_375c861f0f_b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

They were affordable at $30.

In today’s world parents either get a $10 Barbie or $100 American Girl doll.

Why isn’t there a middle ground?

New Barbies are so cheaply made now. I grew up with the 80's & 90's Barbies and they will forever be my favorite. I loved the Monster High dolls too. A shame what they did to them.

I never owned a Barbie product, but if I was stuck at a girl's house as a kid I'd play with her Barbies like action figures. This was the 80s....Barbie had an in-scale pink Corvette....I remember that was cool.

I honestly didn't know anything about the history of the doll, which was why the "Toys That Made Us" episode about her was probably the most fascinating to me. I already knew all there is to know about GI Joe and Star Wars...but I had no idea a coked out swinger built a real life sex mansion from his profits from creating the doll who later married Zsa Zsa Gabor and ended up killing himself.

Have they made a movie about that guy yet?? And not not....why not? That would be awesome.

I also really liked the design of the original Barbie when she was a sex doll in France. That's probably the only incarnation I'd ever see myself wanting a replica of, and even then, I wouldn't spend much on it.

I never owned a Barbie product, but if I was stuck at a girl's house as a kid I'd play with her Barbies like action figures. This was the 80s....Barbie had an in-scale pink Corvette....I remember that was cool.

I honestly didn't know anything about the history of the doll, which was why the "Toys That Made Us" episode about her was probably the most fascinating to me. I already knew all there is to know about GI Joe and Star Wars...but I had no idea a coked out swinger built a real life sex mansion from his profits from creating the doll who later married Zsa Zsa Gabor and ended up killing himself.

Have they made a movie about that guy yet?? And not not....why not? That would be awesome.

I also really liked the design of the original Barbie when she was a sex doll in France. That's probably the only incarnation I'd ever see myself wanting a replica of, and even then, I wouldn't spend much on it.

Wow I'd watch that movie! I never knew that (I need to watch Toys That Made Us again). I thought Barbie was based on the guy's daughter, or at least that's where the name came from.

I found and bought my daughter Barbie from old collections because she wanted them when she showed her the pictures. They were all new, so I had to spend time looking for them, but it wasn't as expensive as I expected. My daughter's happiness is worth it!

Like everything, they are on the pursuit of higher and higher profits , honestly stupid expectations of Wall Street, and have to cut corners to meet the street.

Every business is doing this now, so we get more and more inferior products for higher and higher prices.

Hot Toys is doing the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It?s inflation. Most toys are junk compared to the high era of 99-07. The stuff that isn?t has doubled and sometimes tripled in price.

I know the official line on inflation is that it?s stable. Yeah, no.

do they not make higher end barbie dolls no more? last i check maybe 10 years back they had very expensive barbies that is marketed for older lady collectors.

Back