Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuzeh

Machete Don't Tweet!
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Surprised there's no thread for this one!
Dark Crystal is one of my all time favorite Fantasy films, and obviously I'm really hyped about the upcoming Netflix series!
Anyone else?

MV5BNjVjODZmYWEtNjZhNC00MTdkLTgyMGYtNDBiODRmMzJkMDdjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_.jpg

the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance.jpg

WZT9FBJd26HF6r6sgVV2Dg-1200-80.jpg

DarkCrystal1.0.png.jpg

I do want to check this out. Looks like it takes place at a time before the film. I really like the fact that they have stayed true to the source material regarding VFX.

Netflix has really stepped up their game in original programming in the last two or three years. At first when I found out they were axing theater mainstream films , I thought I would drop my subscription but now this new direction of Netflix based and produced films and tv programming has really surprised me with very entertaining content and binge worthy series that I actually prefer watching programming on Netflix nowadays then on the main networks

Looking forward to this. Netflix have produced some great shows of late.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Three episodes in. Feels a little like it's been told from the perspective of that you can watch it first without any knowledge of the movie..

I?m only two episodes in but really impressed by this. Was never a big fan of the original film but they have maintained everything great about the film, the design and the puppetry and really added to it with better characterisations and a terrific story.

I am two episodes in. I think it's REALLY well done for capturing the "essence" of the film and telling the stories under that umbrella. Very impressive from that stand point. I'm not sure they need the celebrity voice actors. I could tell it was them. If they found voice actors who could mimic the voices of the originals that are largely unknown, it may pull me out of the moment less often. That said, I don't mean to say those more famous voice actors do a bad job. They have a good tempo and do match the original well. It just took me out of the film when I hear them.

I hope it does well. I don't want to take away from all the good points of this fantastic work, but I do have one thing that is glaring to me as a fault. They changed the origin story of the Skeksis (sp?). Maybe not? Maybe that will be clarified further in and then match up with the film again? So far it doesn't though, which removes the whole point and mythos of the original film (i.e. one being split into two when the crystal cracked). If I'm wrong, please tell me because that left a bad taste in my mouth!

I think it's REALLY well done for capturing the "essence" of the film and telling the stories under that umbrella. Very impressive from that stand point. I'm not sure they need the celebrity voice actors. I could tell it was them. If they found voice actors who could mimic the voices of the originals that are largely unknown, it may pull me out of the moment less often.

100% agree. I respect MH but I could instantly recognize him. I would have preferred a closer approximation to the original voices, especially the Ritual Master.

I hope it does well. I don't want to take away from all the good points of this fantastic work, but I do have one thing that is glaring to me as a fault. They changed the origin story of the Skeksis (sp?). Maybe not? Maybe that will be clarified further in and then match up with the film again? So far it doesn't though, which removes the whole point and mythos of the original film (i.e. one being split into two when the crystal cracked). If I'm wrong, please tell me because that left a bad taste in my mouth!

This will get clarified later on in the series. The origin has not changed.

I'm in agreement with rest. Some of the voice actors are really bad. Mark Hamill just is horrible at this. Like we needed a Joker Skeksis. He sounds nothing like the original and it just pulls me out instantly when he's on...whereas Simon Pegg does an excellent job recreating The Chamberlain.

Chamberlain always was my favourite character.. still is. My mrs had a dog that used to whimper like him. And yes, the problem with Mark Hamill now after years of doing The Joker is he always sounds pretty close to him. A bit like everything Seth McFarlane does still pushes Family Guy at you..

Narratively the way it unfolds, you could watch it first though, whereas Solo is a movie designed to throw every important thing we know about Han Solo in the Original Star Wars trilogy, at you in two hours. I think the mid season revelation in TDC would be genuinely suprising to someone who hasn't watched the movie, whereas even a ten year old child experiencing Star Wars for the first time with The Phantom Menace can piece together than Chancellor Palpatine is the Sith Lord..

Simon Pegg does an excellent job recreating The Chamberlain.

Yes, a very nearly perfect rendition.

What most surprised me is...
Spoiler Spoiler:

Yes, a very nearly perfect rendition.

What most surprised me is...
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

The Gartham Master is mentioned briefly in I think the final episode. They mention him by name SkekUng. They mention he'd be a strong warrior for the coming fight. He must be off somewhere just like The Hunter was or the other Skeksis missing like the Slave Master.

The original movie does sort of answer for the new skeksis in this series. The narrator of the film says something along the lines of "now there are only ten" implying there were more but they have been slowly dying. "now the emperor lays dying" etc etc...

Last edited:
Back