Classic movie references that make no sense to modern audiences

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every sitcom ever, from the dawn of time up until about 2001.

Kids would just think "why don't they just text?"

I don't get this thread? Are we talking about old movie moments that were popular but no longer recognizable by people today or no longer identifiable or synonymous with the original source material?

Or references to other movies in old movies? Example, Hans Grubber calls John Mcclane, John Wayne, Rambo, and Mcclane then mentions Roy Rogers.

It's kind of funny that BTTF II pokes fun of the idea of neverending JAWS sequels when its literally the one classic 70's/80's franchise that did *not* continue in any form after BTTF II, lol. They could have had Marty see almost any other franchise marquee and they would have guessed right. Child's Play for crying out loud, lol.

T2 kind of broke the fourth wall when Arnold said "I need a vacation" as an audience in-joke since it was a well known airline or cruise slogan at the time but to the current generation it plays like Uncle Bob really wants to go on a vacation somewhere.

T2 kind of broke the fourth wall when Arnold said "I need a vacation" as an audience in-joke since it was a well known airline or cruise slogan at the time but to the current generation it plays like Uncle Bob really wants to go on a vacation somewhere.

I don't remember any slogan like that, always thought it was just an old cliché line, like "I'm getting too old for this ****"... or hair pie.

I don't remember any slogan like that, always thought it was just an old cliché line, like "I'm getting too old for this ****"... or hair pie.

I'm surprised. Some travel company adopted it as the main slogan in their TV commercials for a number of years in the late 80's and used it in the same vein as "Calgon take me away." I'm too lazy to look up the ads on YouTube but a fun fact about the scene is that the script said "The Terminator shows up, looking like he's in dire need of a vacation" and Arnold went one step further and ad-libbed the "I need a vacation" line when the cameras were rolling. Cameron laughed so he kept it in the movie to the chagrin of co-writer William Wisher.

I don't get this thread? Are we talking about old movie moments that were popular but no longer recognizable by people today or no longer identifiable or synonymous with the original source material?.

Kinda the latter. One-liners or other cultural references that modern audiences may not recognise.

It's kind of funny that BTTF II pokes fun of the idea of neverending JAWS sequels when its literally the one classic 70's/80's franchise that did *not* continue in any form after BTTF II, lol. They could have had Marty see almost any other franchise marquee and they would have guessed right. Child's Play for crying out loud, lol.

Speaking of BTTF, the references in Cafe 80s would be alien to those not around back then (but they would obviously surmise that they were '80s references).

Does "Don't leave home with out it" in Batman 89 count?

Yes, another great example!

It wasn't until I saw Casablanca as an adult that I realized that the phrase "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" was NOT coined by Bugs Bunny, lol.

Back