First 4K TV - opnions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Super Freak
Reaction score
After roughly 15 years of using the old 500lb 720 plasma TV, I'm looking to finally get a new TV. A lot has changed since I last shopped around for a TV, but have looked through a bunch of different products and the TCL 55R617 kept coming up as a solid TV for the price. I guess anything would be fine when going from my old set up to what's out there now, but since that is a 2018 model, does anyone know if there has been any newer TVs released by this manufacture? I saw a 2019 model and apparently, it's a downgrade from the 2018 model.

For my application, the TCL seems like a solid choice when compared to other TVs 'close' to that price point. I'd be willing to pay a little extra if it's worth the increased picture quality. Once the price starts to go double, triple, or even more then it's pretty much out of the question for me.

For anyone familiar in the subject, are there other similar (55") TVs worth looking into near that price point?

After roughly 15 years of using the old 500lb 720 plasma TV, I'm looking to finally get a new TV. A lot has changed since I last shopped around for a TV, but have looked through a bunch of different products and the TCL 55R617 kept coming up as a solid TV for the price. I guess anything would be fine when going from my old set up to what's out there now, but since that is a 2018 model, does anyone know if there has been any newer TVs released by this manufacture? I saw a 2019 model and apparently, it's a downgrade from the 2018 model.

For my application, the TCL seems like a solid choice when compared to other TVs 'close' to that price point. I'd be willing to pay a little extra if it's worth the increased picture quality. Once the price starts to go double, triple, or even more then it's pretty much out of the question for me.

For anyone familiar in the subject, are there other similar (55") TVs worth looking into near that price point?

I actually got a TCL 55" last year as a part of a gift for 20 years with my company. I didn't need a new TV but I pulled the trigger because I couldn't think of anything else to acquire. The thing I liked the most was that it had built-in Roku and so far, that's been the number 1 thing I can say about it.

Not many things really take advantage of the 4K tech. I personally have nothing to take advantage of the graphical prowess; I do notice more clarity and lighting.

PROS:
+4K (IF you can take advantage of it) but it will absolutely be an improvement over your 720p Plasma.
+Price - probably AT LEAST half the price your Plasma was at it's peak time (with greater tech).
+4K peripherals - you'll be future-proofed for it.

CONS:
-Most of the ones I've seen only come with 3 HDMI (and not many other connections) which I find odd.
-Tech is ahead of the peripherals. With the exception of connecting a laptop I can't really take advantage of the full 4K (even my PS4 can't do it).
-Doesn't appear to me that you can control any downscaling. I can't tell if it does it automatically or what because there are no options. Not sure how it does this. I probably should research this. It must show my 1080p in some fashion but there doesn't appear to be an obvious adjustment.

8K's are on the market (I've seen one at Best Buy - $15000). Settle in with your 4K for about 10 years until that 8K is where it needs to be!

Awesome, thanks for the info. You’re right about the plasma being expensive, especially for it being as small as it was. That was more of an impulse buy, but the quality of the TV was great and it warmed the house quite well during the colder months :lol I’m pretty much sold on the TCL except that I saw 15% off the 65” over at amazon and now all of a sudden I need a 65” TV... I don’t have cable, so everything I watch is being streamed. I just picked up an nvidia shield as well, so I might get back into some gaming (emulation/steam).

I bought a TCL for the bedroom recently, and it's pretty good, BUT I do have one important complaint - it doesn't have a very wide viewing angle. If you're not watching it straight on, even at a fairly minor angle, it gets really washed out. Just something to keep in mind!

Yeah I bought a Samsung 55 nu74000 model in April too,
also bought a xbox one x too use it as a uhd player & I use Netflix & amazon prime apps through the xbox & they both stream a lot of 4K programming & films.
Picture quality of uhd films is amazing-aqua man really shows how much of a leap 4K is.
The gaming side of the xbox is phenomenal in 4K as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The seating area will pretty much be within direct line of sight. It’ll be mounted on an adjustable wall mount, so I guess that can always be tinkered with if it becomes an issue.

I just noticed the 15% off only works when you buy it through the amazon card but unfortunately, it'll be going on 2 weeks pretty soon and the process is still pending. The sale only lasts until the 30th, so I'm hoping to hear something by then. If not, how often do electronics, specifically TVs, go on sale? For anyone whose experienced with this, is it more of a seasonal thing (black Friday, Christmas, etc) or do they randomly pop up throughout the year?

TCL is the way to go. Viewing angle is the only negative and it's not bad enough to make you not want to watch the tv. I have two of them.

Well, Amazon had the 65" listed at $499, but apparently , from what I understand, people are saying it was from a fraudulent seller and refunds are being issued. That would of been a hell of a deal. Interestingly enough, when searing for the TCL 65R617 on google, Amazon still has it listed at $499 until you click on the link.

Well, Amazon had the 65" listed at $499, but apparently , from what I understand, people are saying it was from a fraudulent seller and refunds are being issued. That would of been a hell of a deal. Interestingly enough, when searing for the TCL 65R617 on google, Amazon still has it listed at $499 until you click on the link.

That sucks

We bought a Samsung 55” 4K Smart TV in April after our old one died on Easter Sunday

My 55" 720p plasma TV gave out on me not that long ago as well. Didn't feel so bad since I got it for free when I bought some furniture for my house. That was 10 years ago. I picked up a 75" Samsung QLED 8 series and have been blown away by the picture. Not to mention, this TV is loaded with just about everything. It set me back $2200, but man, all of my friends and family rave about it whenever they are over. I would've bought the 82" version but I couldn't fit it over my fireplace. I barely squeezed my 75" in there. :lol

Back