Flash Gordon (1980) - Hawkman Rocket Cycle - Scaled for 3.75 inch figure NOW PRINTED

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cking

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ever since watching Flash Gordon at the cinema in 1980, I had wanted to own an accurate version of the Hawkman Rocket Cycle.
I made my own cardboard version of it when I was 7 years old and used a Luke Skywalker action figure as the pilot because he was the only blonde haired figure I owned. LOL.

Fast forward to 2011 and Bif Bang Pow released the awesome Alex Ross designed Flash figures. After holding on to see if they would release vehicles, the line was cancelled due to lack of interest so I commissioned my own version. Starting out as a sketch-up model, cross sections, plans and elevations were produced and printed out so a physical model could be made for it. We only had access to a handful of photos at the time (plus DVD and HD broadcast screen grabs).

It was a great project and I even got the opportunity to talk at length with Chris Foss (sci-fi illustrative artist who now resides on the island of Guernsey for most of his time). He was brought on board the 1980 movie project by Dino DeLaurentis to redesign the rocket cycle because Dino wasn't satisfied with what the art department had produced for it. Chris had some great memories about his time on the movie and recalls it being very fast track.

Here's my model from 2011. It was great for the time but the errors in size, proportions and detailing would continue to bug me.

Flash-Gordon-Rocket-Cycle1.jpg

A couple of years ago, I was lucky to get hold of a set of very rare, behind the scenes 10x8 photos of the full size rocket cycle prop in the art department workshop. Those images highlighted the errors in proportions and details that I mentioned and they have now been corrected for the new 3.75" scaled version that I'm working on. I've done some packaging artwork for it too (Inspired by the PALITOY Star Wars packaging from the original Star Wars figures and vehicles)

If PALITOY / Kenner had released the Flash Gordon figures and vehicles toys in 1980, my seven year old self would have loved to see these boxes on the shelves in the toy stores!

Flash-Gordon-Rocket-Cycle3.jpg

We've been photo-matching the details on the new one and the detailing stage has just been started.

Flash-Gordon-Rocket-Cycle4.jpg

Flash-Gordon-Rocket-Cycle5.jpg

This new computer model will be 3d printed at two different scales (1:10 and 1:18) to suit the 7 inch and 3.75 inch figures accordingly.

Last edited:
Re: Flash Gordon (1980) - Hawkman Rocket Cycle - Scaled for 3.75 inch & 7 inch figure

Looks very cool. Obviously a passion project for you, and it's great to see someone realizing their childhood fantasies this way.

Re: Flash Gordon (1980) - Hawkman Rocket Cycle - Scaled for 3.75 inch & 7 inch figure

Thanks karamazov80 - it truly is like a grail to my childhood (and now adult) self. LOL.

Looks very cool. Obviously a passion project for you, and it's great to see someone realizing their childhood fantasies this way.

Last edited:

As a fan of the Flash Gordon serials, an even bigger fan of the movie when it came out, and an owner of 12” figures by Hasbro and Mego, I’ve always dreamed of a 12” series based on the movie, which included bedtime visions in my head of an RC Rocket Cycle zipping around the school yard with a 12” Flash riding on it!

This is a great looking passion project that you've done some great work on already and growing up in the Uk during 70's I'm really happy to see that Palitoy logo on the box mock up! :)

Fantastic work and look forward to seeing the updates,

Ian

Thanks all,

Yes - doing this for the 3.75 inch figure version, it seems "criminal" not to put a PALITOY logo on it as even when I was a naïve 7 year old, I felt convinced that PALITOY would soon be releasing figures and vehicles from the movie to sell alongside their already well established distribution of the Kenner Star Wars figures and vehicles. Every time I walked into a toy shop in 1980 / 1981, I was certain that I would walk to the end of the shelf aisles, turn the corner and see red, black and gold coloured boxes of Flash figures and vehicles / accessories. So sad that we didn't get anything. Bif Bang Pow partially satisfied that "need" a couple of years ago but it's a real shame that their production never gets enough interest to do more characters. I've seen some cool 3d printed versions of the non-produced characters that another fan is making (also in the UK), but for me - the grail piece is the rocket cycle.

This is a great looking passion project that you've done some great work on already and growing up in the Uk during 70's I'm really happy to see that Palitoy logo on the box mock up! :)

Fantastic work and look forward to seeing the updates,

Ian

Last edited:

I am THRILLED with the way this is turning out. Here's the old computer model from 2011 compared to the WIP current model from 2019.

Comparisons3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest photo of the WIP computer model.

Thanks to the owners of the two different prop blasters that were used to create the front gun on the rocket cycle, we've been able to get it scaled to within millimetres of the original prop. This is a real milestone because up until that point, the scale was guesswork based on how it looked with the relevant figures standing on it.

The rocket cycle is deceptively simple in appearance, but actually has some very complicated geometry and proportions to sort out. I feel very lucky to have found a talented modeller who is as passionate as I am about getting the details as perfect as possible. He's doing an incredible job of this and it matches up to all the photo references we've compared it with. :clap

Cycle 28.jpg

Last edited:

Wonderful!

The 7“ one would be something for my MOTU Classics collection- always thought about doing a Classics style Flash...

Here's my idea for the end flaps on the box. Just playing around while I wait for the model to be completed.
Box-Palitoy-End.jpg

So, I've decided to get a custom box made for the Bif Bang Pow Flash & Ming figure 2-pack so I can display them and have some consistency with my rocket cycle box (which will have the same front panel size as the figures, but will just be 2 inches deeper).
Something like this:

20190608_181323.jpg

That's going to look really nice and I love the piping around the image and also the nameplate is a nice touch that goes back to the old Sw figures.

Great attention to detail and the only extra thing I can think of would be the images of the other figures in the range on the back of the 2 pack.

Can't wait to see this all put together.

Ian

Thanks Ian,
Great minds think alike. LOL. Here are my final box layouts (Back panel, top and bottom panels). Will get these drawn up properly and printed out in the same thickness of cardboard stock as the original Palitoy / Kenner boxes.

20190619_192755.jpg

20190619_192835.jpg

20190619_192858.jpg

That's going to look really nice and I love the piping around the image and also the nameplate is a nice touch that goes back to the old Sw figures.

Great attention to detail and the only extra thing I can think of would be the images of the other figures in the range on the back of the 2 pack.

Can't wait to see this all put together.

Ian

Finished the instruction sheet for it. 3D print should be started next week!

Flash Gordon - Hawkman Rocket Cycle - Instruction Sheet-New-Option1.jpg

Here's the first 3D printed prototype (printed on a FDM printer).
Also, the box has been printed!
Just waiting for the final print of the model which is in progress and is being printed in resin with an SLA printer so the quality will be much higher than the prototype shown.

Prototype-Rocket-Cycle-with-Box-and-Instructions.jpg

Here's a beautiful 1:43 scale (same as many die cast cars) Detail Plastic SLA print from Shapways. This measures 79mm from front to back. It's incredible how many of the tiniest details have been captured. The handles and other parts are SO tiny, I haven't found the courage to trim them from the base yet.

1-43-Shapeways-Detail-Plastic-Print-03.jpg

20190709_192930.jpg

20190709_192650.jpg

Back