Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: MCU - Phase Four

I'm in for most of them. Don't care much for Ant3, Cap 2, or Shang Chi, but the rest I'm up for.

Torturer of OCD
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darthkostis View Post
    I'll watch Doctor Strange 2, ... I'll catch GotG Vol.3 but... that's it, really. As time goes on, I find no real joy in the funnybooks, past or present, IPs or what-have-you. Phase 4 is just the leftovers, and I find nothing worth liking in those lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by matticus View Post
    DS2 and GOTG Vol. 3 is the only ones I am looking forward to. DS2 was said to have Nightmare as the villain, which should be great. Adam Warlock and Thor makes Vol. 3 instantly appealing.
    Agreed.

I'm eager to see what some entity other than Disney does for the action/adventure/sci-fi genre over the next 10 years.

We're long overdue for some talented directors to reinvent those genres again. Or at least make them feel fresh again.

Freaks Dilemma: desperate need for completion vs. desire for perfection

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Wor-Gar View Post
    Agreed.

I'm eager to see what some entity other than Disney does for the action/adventure/sci-fi genre over the next 10 years.

We're long overdue for some talented directors to reinvent those genres again. Or at least make them feel fresh again.
    That right there is my problem with CBMs. None of them are "[insert genre] with a Cape character". They're all just... the same, generic sort of "flick". GotG is more Sci-Fi, but I still have trouble indentifying it as pure Sci-Fi and putting it next to Blade Runner or Logan's Run. Iron Man doesn't feel all that different from Captain America, and that's a problem in my opinion. They all just have the same... "feel". I won't say formula, because that's evident. It's more than that. The structure, the stories, the characters, the acting; they're all interchangeable. I can watch Indiana Jones and get a wholy different feel from "The Adventures Of Adele Blanc-Sec", which is a homage to it, so why can't I get the same from Avengers and Thor: Ragnarok? Maybe it's just me and my sourness. To be honest, I find little joy in things anymore. Just my work/studies, and even then it's... complicated.

I don't know. I mean, I watch Billions and it feels different from Succession, even though both are shows about ultra-rich people. So why can't I do the same with Capeflicks? It's like how every show on the CW, no matter the subject matter, is more or less the same. Or how Tudors & Borgias were extremelly similar. I don't know, maybe I'm jaded. Or maybe I'm right and there is truly nothing to look forward to... Eh, at the end of the day, who cares?

Super Freak
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    I hear what you're saying about Marvel Studios cbm's with respect to each other but do you really get the same vibe between Thor Ragnarok and Logan? Or even the similarly plotted CW and BvS?

[...]I don't know, maybe I'm jaded. Or maybe I'm right and there is truly nothing to look forward to... Eh, at the end of the day, who cares?
    What I've found is that being jaded isn't a permanent state of mind, although it can feel that way. Sometimes things change externally, sometimes internally, changing one's perspective on entertainment and whatever else.

You're not wrong about the flattening of the storytelling landscape. That's thanks to very large amounts of money. You may just need to stumble upon different kinds of storytelling, which can be difficult in our corporate echo-chamber media landscape.

Sometimes stagnation is a precursor to meaningful change.

I still love the way a film like Endgame or Iron Man can make me feel in the moment, but I don't examine them too closely unless it's just for fun...and (although it doesn't seem like it given the content and sometimes the frequency of my posts here) I tend to fill my life with other stuff that's totally unrelated. Comic-book movies are pure escapist junk food that I still happen to enjoy, although I imagine there may be a time I'm put off them, temporarily or not.

I guess they're like pizza to me. I've eaten truly amazing pizza in Italy but I'll still eat bad take-out here in North America.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    I hear what you're saying about Marvel Studios cbm's with respect to each other but do you really get the same vibe between Thor Ragnarok and Logan? Or even the similarly plotted CW and BvS?
    Hm, yeah, Logan's a good point. That was different enough. As for CW & BvS... Kinda, yeah. Although I've come to appreciate BvS more. Regardless of its failure, it at least tried to be different. That's not always good, but an attempt was made. I don't know, it's a recent feeling. I used to be able to "differentiate" between all the CBMs but now they all feel too similar. Like I said, maybe I'm just jaded. I go back to 2010 where I couldn't believe such flicks would be made. But now that they're here, I can't help but feel dissapointed. So many genres, so many fun characters to play with, and instead of making films with a Cape coating, they all jsut made Capflicks, regardless of the source's leanings. Perhaps my recent distaste of all things comic books/videogames/pop culture is influencing my opinions. I just... I can't help but feel that we could've gotten some good and entertaining movies out of all those IPs instead of just barely different clones. But I guess that's the business...

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ZE_501 View Post
    What I've found is that being jaded isn't a permanent state of mind, although it can feel that way. Sometimes things change externally, sometimes internally, changing one's perspective on entertainment and whatever else.
    That's a fair point, but I don't consider this "jadedness" a bad thing per se. I sort of like it, it's freeing. The problem is that I regret the time spent on them. The thousands spent on ****** books created for toddlers. The kinds whose writers say "controversy and anger sells", so they break up the fan favorite couple, shove some IR in there to make their fans mad and rake in the rewards. And I bought that. The thousands wasted on plastic ****** toy-, excuse me, "collectors items". What a joke... Tens of thousands of dollars, thousands of hours just... gone down the drain.

You're not wrong about the flattening of the storytelling landscape. That's thanks to very large amounts of money. You may just need to stumble upon different kinds of storytelling, which can be difficult in our corporate echo-chamber media landscape.
    I've watched hundreds of hours of television the recent years. I've gone through all the greats, the mediocres and some oddball. And you know what? It didn't matter one bit. I watched Mad Men, I watched Sopranos, I watched LOST and BBC miniseries. I watched The Night Manager and I watched Patrick Melrose. And many, many more. And it didn't make any difference. They're gone, forgotten, and they added nothing to my life.

Sometimes stagnation is a precursor to meaningful change.
    Maybe you're right. I just feel that this "enlightnement" came too late.

I still love the way a film like Endgame or Iron Man can make me feel in the moment, but I don't examine them too closely unless it's just for fun...and (although it doesn't seem like it given the content and sometimes the frequency of my posts here) I tend to fill my life with other stuff that's totally unrelated. Comic-book movies are pure escapist junk food that I still happen to enjoy, although I imagine there may be a time I'm put off them, temporarily or not.
    That's what it was like for me as well, I was never a "stan" or however they call it. I just liked that feeling of anticipation.

I guess they're like pizza to me. I've eaten truly amazing pizza in Italy but I'll still eat bad take-out here in North America.
    That's an apt description although, for me, it's more like I've grown tired not only of pizza, but food entirely.

[...]
    That's an apt description although, for me, it's more like I've grown tired not only of pizza, but food entirely.
    So then it's time for something else. I read fiction ravenously for decades. There came a time when I started reading more in the way of personal essay, biography, philosophy, anthropology, history, life sciences, ethnogeography ... and it's not so often I read fiction anymore. Because I could hear the narrative machinery clanking away in the background, a series of contrivances with which I was all too familiar.

Doesn't mean I'll never read fiction again, but I needed something else.

As for regretting time and money spent -- whenever I find myself wishing I could have done things differently, I do them differently in the present, with conviction. I don't mind regret so much in the sense that I've always said regret is a teacher.

Torturer of OCD
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    every show on the CW, no matter the subject matter, is more or less the same.

That made me laugh. Because its true.

Like the 1950's, the last 20 years have been dominated by "producers"... everything has been produced, from boy bands and singers to movies. There are no Lucas and Spielberg's out there right now defining the landscape. Film has become a Producer's medium. And like the 50's, there's a lot of "show" but very little distinctive and unique about it all. It's flash and dance and lights and colors and it all plays very well to the masses. A singer's voice is inconsequential to her dance moves in sync with her posse while fireworks explode. You can look at the endless parade of franchise IP monsters in the same way. And even though I enjoy many of them, I realize they are not impacting me, or anyone else, the same way many movies did 30-40 years ago. And its not because I'm "old". It's not really impacting the youth either. It's as disposable as their cellphones. Nothing holds any more... that's why everyone is required to create "universes" now. You're only as good as your next connecting flick. Hell, they even got M. Night trying to force a universe to get something made. Sad state.

We're due for a change. But we need talent. You'd think with an entire generation raised with a movie camera in their hand that we would be ripe with talented individuals... but instead they seem few and far between. Maybe everyone has been weened on mediocrity and infected by the lowest common denominator for too long.

But it will change. It always does. Perhaps we just have to wait for the next generation?

Freaks Dilemma: desperate need for completion vs. desire for perfection

Super Freak
    Feedback
    So then it's time for something else. I read fiction ravenously for decades. There came a time when I started reading more in the way of personal essay, biography, philosophy, anthropology, history, life sciences, ethnogeography ... and it's not so often I read fiction anymore. Because I could hear the narrative machinery clanking away in the background, a series of contrivances with which I was all too familiar.
    That's the thing; I've done all that. And it all feels equally hollow. I grew up with Aristotle and my Commie Uncle (boy, do I have a whole lot of Tankies in my family...) was reading me Satre. But philosophy, at some point, felt as if I was reading people's diaries and it stopped having any meaning behind it. They're useful for spitballing ideas and getting the ball rolling, but I still felt as if I was "robbing" myself of precious time.Tiem that could be spent learning.

The only thing I seem to care enough for these days is my work, my studies. I can "feel" them, they're on the ground, they're tangible. They produce results, they take me forward. But it all still feels empty. As if I'm half a person. Can you truly be complete if you're just a master of one thing and nothing else? But with the vastness of today's knowledge, time is far too limited to let you spread your wings, to gain even a modicum of experience with other areas, lest you wish to be a mediocrity in all.

Doesn't mean I'll never read fiction again, but I needed something else.
    I guess my problem is that, ever since I was a kid, I did everything concurrently and now that I've gotten tired of one thing, I'm tired of... everything. Maybe the bright side is that I have even more time to devote to my work.

As for regretting time and money spent -- whenever I find myself wishing I could have done things differently, I do them differently in the present, with conviction. I don't mind regret so much in the sense that I've always said regret is a teacher.
    Oh, that's a fine way of looking at things. It's just... Have you seen these people who watch these movies? The "Eric Butts" and such of the world. All the "normies". I mean, we used to read those books as kids, and now everyone's acting as if they're such huge fans. I find myself angry at this situation. But then I think about it, and realize that I'm not angry at them. I'm angry at the fact that I spent so much time on frivolous ********, and in the end it didn't matter. They know about Iron Man. They enjoy Iron Man. I've read 600 issues of his. And what did it matter? Nothing.

I know, I know, I'm rambling and blogposting, it's just... I don't lack focus or need a direction or to fill a void, I am content, more or less. I have a path to follow. I just wonder, does anybody else feel sort of "fooled", by all these flicks, or is it just me?