Grail Piece, what's yours?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezzeppelin

Super Freak
Reaction score
This was my first dip into statues and collectibles 3 or so years ago. Got my first hot toy and this was going to be my first statue. They were a lot of money at the time(or so i thought), but i wanted this statue so bad. Its a great piece of art. Had this set up on a not so sturdy shelf, well came in one night from drinking. Bumped the shelf just a little this top heavy beauty took a tumble down and broke. I was down in the dumps for 4 or so days. But today im proud to say ive repurchased this grail of mine a couple months ago at a really really great price. And this work of art will never be put in harms way again!

what is everyones grail piece? IMAG1530_1.jpeg

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

Has to be Ms. Kyle. After the body swap and stitching clean-up, she'll be *the* grail in my collection. I have other favourites like diecast Mark IV, '89 Batmobile and GoD Bruce Lee, but they can presumably be replaced more easily should it ever come to that, given that they're mass-produced. This one not so much.

Following my long tradition, here's a poorly lit iPhone snapshot.

fullsizeoutput_af4.jpg

Some of mine I bought in 77:

520580f660210574d6c3222678b03ea8.jpg

Not in the condition above of course (jawa vinyl cape and Luke's lightsaber long gone). Many hours playing with these.

Good times.

Nice. A little hydrogen peroxide and direct sunlight, should whiten that stormtrooper right up, if you're so inclined.

Oh cool, thanks.

I have 4 of them, two yellowed and 2 didn't. Weird. Have 2 Vader cases full of them. Some in mint shape. Need to see if I have accessories somewhere else...

I don't think they go for too much though. Usually see $20-30 on eBay at most. Sure the examples above (77s in mint) are big money, because 10 year olds didn't "collect" for the most part :lol

Back in the day, these were the coolest things going:

Mego-Superheroes.jpg

7-8 year old me would DIE in the toy aisle. I want them ALL. Lol.

Then SW hit and the toy industry became a whole different creature. (I'm 52 btw)

Oh cool, thanks.

I have 4 of them, two yellowed and 2 didn't. Weird. Have 2 Vader cases full of them. Some in mint shape. Need to see if I have accessories somewhere else...

I don't think they go for too much though. Usually see $20-30 on eBay at most. Sure the examples above (77s in mint) are big money, because 10 year olds didn't "collect" for the most part :lol

I spent a lot of time researching that when I was building Marmit trooper kits just a few years back. It's probably a batch issue; bromines leech up to the surface of the plastics causing the yellowing. The reaction between UV from direct sunlight into an open container of hydrogen peroxide will turn the plastic white again. I talked to a pharmacist and got a stronger solution than off-the-shelf peroxide for the best and quickest results. I think it was around 7% or something.

[...]came in one night from drinking. Bumped the shelf just a little this top heavy beauty took a tumble down and broke. I was down in the dumps for 4 or so days. But today im proud to say ive repurchased this grail of mine a couple months ago at a really really great price. And this work of art will never be put in harms way again!

what is everyones grail piece?View attachment 447347

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

LOL..."came in one night from drinking" never ends well.

It's a nice feeling to regain something like that if misadventure befalls it. I don't envy you the feeling when it first went down! I don't collect busts but something like that has a nice presence. I like it with the artwork.

Hmm....surfing eBay: I have the Hoth playset (turret and think I still have probot) but I do have the original box, which I'm not seeing anyone with/selling.

Have to investigate more.

LOL..."came in one night from drinking" never ends well.

It's a nice feeling to regain something like that if misadventure befalls it. I don't envy you the feeling when it first went down! I don't collect busts but something like that has a nice presence. I like it with the artwork.
Lol. Yeah it is.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back