1/6 Hot Toys Return of the Jedi Emperor Palpatine DELUXE Sixth Scale Figure REVIEW

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this is an independent review of the piece, it would probably be counterintuitive to bury it in a thread where it would be lost fairly quickly.

What other kind of review is there?:dunno:lol Do you mean people who get the figure sent to them by companies for the review?

And why would it be counterintuitive to place ANY review, even the dreaded "non-independent" kind, in the thread that pertains to the figure being reviewed? :dunno

And hey - by me responding and you responding to me, I'm actually stopping the review from being "buried" and also creating controversy, making others want to respond, thereby stopping the "burying" of your review!:yess:

I don’t see how this is any different than someone like Michael Crawford linking to his website for written reviews. Those are always separate threads too.

What other kind of review is there?:dunno:lol Do you mean people who get the figure sent to them by companies for the review?

And why would it be counterintuitive to place ANY review, even the dreaded "non-independent" kind, in the thread that pertains to the figure being reviewed? :dunno

And hey - by me responding and you responding to me, I'm actually stopping the review from being "buried" and also creating controversy, making others want to respond, thereby stopping the "burying" of your review!:yess:

By ‘independent review’ I simply mean that it isn’t the same as the general discussion unfolding in that particular thread, where the actual review would wind up lost in the shuffle fairly quickly. That’s all. Thanks for the boost, in any case.

Maybe a new Sub-Forum only for reviews @Mods?

I know this is not the first time. And I even saw some people opening a new thread just to ask for opinions...

I do think the threads here should represent individual figure releases. And as long as there is no specific place for reviews, they belong to the general threads. Otherwise the forum would get confusing and lose track of things someday.

Thanks for the review though @The Review Spot.

Maybe a new Sub-Forum only for reviews @Mods?

I know this is not the first time. And I even saw some people opening a new thread just to ask for opinions...

I do think the threads here should represent individual figure releases. And as long as there is no specific place for reviews, they belong to the general threads. Otherwise the forum would get confusing and lose track of things someday.

Thanks for the review though @The Review Spot.

If the moderators wish it, I would happily comply.

I don’t see how this is any different than someone like Michael Crawford linking to his website for written reviews. Those are always separate threads too.

Totally agree. The figure thread is about the figure, and can include a review, however a review thread should change the focus from the figure to the review of the figure. A review thread is totally appropriate.

Totally agree. The figure thread is about the figure, and can include a review, however a review thread should change the focus from the figure to the review of the figure. A review thread is totally appropriate.

I think there's a key differentiator here in that most reviewers start threads to get views/clicks for their website/video. It's just a way for them to make money.

We have a sub-forum for retailers to post in, and we also have a sub-forum for people to post their sale threads. If you want to make money/advertise on the forum, you gotta pay up. Granted I understand we don't make retailers pay to post in the Retailers sub-forum. This is just to say we have a dedicated sub-forum for those unique posts.

To be clear, what I am advocating for is not that all reviewers pay a fee. If you review a figure and post it in the figure thread, no problem, but if you think your review is special and you want 'featured' status in its own unique thread, you pay.

I think there's a key differentiator here in that most reviewers start threads to get views/clicks for their website/video. It's just a way for them to make money.

I dont know, seems like an over-generalization. I have a bigger problem with shill reviews than that some are trying to make a buck.

We have a sub-forum for retailers to post in, and we also have a sub-forum for people to post their sale threads. If you want to make money/advertise on the forum, you gotta pay up. Granted I understand we don't make retailers pay to post in the Retailers sub-forum. This is just to say we have a dedicated sub-forum for those unique posts.

To be clear, what I am advocating for is not that all reviewers pay a fee. If you review a figure and post it in the figure thread, no problem, but if you think your review is special and you want 'featured' status in its own unique thread, you pay.

More eyes on a given product review doesn’t hurt. But, an actual review of said product is somewhat different than the continual general discussion as is most commonly found in threads like the aforementioned. If I’m trying to single out a review, it’s because I want it to be available to those who might be looking for one. It’s all about making it more easily found. If the moderators would prefer to reopen the reviews section of the forum, I would gladly and without hesitation post as such within it. But, I would very much like to be told to do that in an official capacity.

If everyone who made a review of every new figure posted a new thread it would be super annoying. Thankfully most people don’t do that and new reviews are typically just shared in the figure’s respective thread, often not by the reviewer though.

So "Review Spot" is Alter Ego Comics?

So what's with that "independent review" comment made earlier? In watching the review, this actually seems to be a video produced by (or for) Alter Ego to sell figures, not a fan who's bought the fig and is posting a review.

So "Review Spot" is Alter Ego Comics?

So what's with that "independent review" comment made earlier? In watching the review, this actually seems to be a video produced by (or for) Alter Ego to sell figures, not a fan who's bought the fig and is posting a review.
Umm Spot has been doing YouTube reviews for like ten years. He’s done a number of reviews of Sideshow and Hot Toys reviews including some Star Wars items, as well as various other products (NECA, McFarlane, DC Collectibles, subscription boxes, etc.).

I won’t speak for him on his Alter Ego affiliation, but a lot of reviewers have sponsorships.

Umm Spot has been doing YouTube reviews for like ten years. He’s done a number of reviews of Sideshow and Hot Toys reviews including some Star Wars items, as well as various other products (NECA, McFarlane, DC Collectibles, subscription boxes, etc.).

I won’t speak for him on his Alter Ego affiliation, but a lot of reviewers have sponsorships.

Did you see the review? It starts with a huge animated AEC logo and has constant AEC mentions (including an EX coupon code offer) throughout, as well as a big AEC push at the end.:dunno

Maybe he just REALLY likes buying from AE.:lol

Back