EBAY sucks for collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufian

Freaked Out
Reaction score
You have lots of greedy crook overcharging for items. Not to mention, is almost impossible to win a bid. As soon as I see people bidding, I don't bother with that crap, as there are lots of idiots there doing tricks and cheatting and all of a sudden the bids suddenly skyrocket and you can never match it. And the greedy ass sellers always putting bids rather an option to buy for it at a higher price.

I've been wanting to get my hands on the 80s Knight Rider toy car from Kenner for months, if not years. I have the toy hasselhof figure and all these scammers on there selling the car for hundreds and hundreds of dollars and whenever there is a bid, is almost impossible to win, as it starts out cheap $40-50 and it skyrockets to hundreds by the end of it

This is why I hate collecting. I can't never get my hands of the crap I want and if I want it bad, don't have choice but to fork out the big money as most of these cheap asses on ebay would never pay that much, they all want the bid win for cheap

That's the Knight Rider mark-up. It also applies to the 1:1 scale parts for the replica cars (currently fighting that battle). However, sometimes you get lucky. However I will say the current "collector market" and pop culture overload that is currently going on doesn't help at all.

Keep your eyes open. My brother picked up that Kenner set loose years ago on eBay, but I don't think he paid the kind of money its going for now.

That's the Knight Rider mark-up. It also applies to the 1:1 scale parts for the replica cars (currently fighting that battle). However, sometimes you get lucky. However I will say the current "collector market" and pop culture overload that is currently going on doesn't help at all.

Keep your eyes open. My brother picked up that Kenner set loose years ago on eBay, but I don't think he paid the kind of money its going for now.

I had this toy when I was a kid, that's the only reason I want it

That’s just how the secondary market works. Supply and demand. Once something is no longer available, it’s price will likely just go up as the supply dwindles. You either pay the going rates or you don’t. This is nothing new. We’ve all been there. There is always something out there any of us would like but it goes for a crazy price. If you want it bad enough you’ll pay it, if not you’ll eventually move on and live without it.

Most things on eBay are overpriced to begin with only because of the high selling fees you need to sell at least 15% over your cost just to break even, maybe even higher than that. Unfortunately eBay is still king of the secondary market and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

That’s just how the secondary market works. Supply and demand. Once something is no longer available, it’s price will likely just go up as the supply dwindles. You either pay the going rates or you don’t. This is nothing new. We’ve all been there. There is always something out there any of us would like but it goes for a crazy price. If you want it bad enough you’ll pay it, if not you’ll eventually move on and live without it.

Most things on eBay are overpriced to begin with only because of the high selling fees you need to sell at least 15% over your cost just to break even, maybe even higher than that. Unfortunately eBay is still king of the secondary market and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

there is no other place to buy or even find items like this

makes me wanna just pay up rather than dealing with all that crap and fools bidding in a war, screw that

I have never won one single bid and I have tried many times. I've tried all tricks in the book, using several pages, at the last minute, last second, I never win and it pisses me off so much, I just go ahead and buy it at a way higher price just because I'm pissed

Then you have more crooks on places like craiglist, facebook listing, etc etc people listing cheap run of the mill items at full price and thinking someone will buy it lmao

there is no other place to buy or even find items like this

makes me wanna just pay up rather than dealing with all that crap and fools bidding in a war, screw that

I have never won one single bid and I have tried many times. I've tried all tricks in the book, using several pages, at the last minute, last second, I never win and it pisses me off so much, I just go ahead and buy it at a way higher price just because I'm pissed

eBay automatically awards the item to the person with the highest maximum bid, whether it's placed a week in advance or with one second to go. So don't manually bid in small increments. Throw in the highest number you're willing to pay and eBay will automatically bid for you in small increments until it reaches that number. Only then will you have to either increase your maximum or step away, your choice.

For example, let's say the item starts at $5. You set a maximum of $20, but since you're the only bidder at the moment, the price stays at $5. If no one else bids, that's the price you pay at the end. Now someone else sees this item a day later. They see one person placed a bid and the item is at $5. This person doesn't know your maximum bid because it's kept secret until it's exceeded, so they place a bid of $7. Your maximum was higher than that, so the system automatically raised the price to $8.50 (or whatever the increment is) and you're still in the lead. eBay will keep doing this until someone places a higher maximum than you.

If you have a situation where nothing happens until the very last few seconds and suddenly five people bid, it goes to whomever set the highest number. Doesn't matter if that person was the last, the first, or if they placed their bid at the same time as the others.

people trying to get the highest price they reasonably can for something they’re selling are crooks? Lol.

people trying to get the highest price they reasonably can for something they’re selling are crooks? Lol.

Rufian just likes to complain. For the love of god, don’t visit the Chucky thread. This guy will nauseate you. Ignore him at all cost

Rufian just likes to complain. For the love of god, don’t visit the Chucky thread. This guy will nauseate you. Ignore him at all cost

Sound advice no doubt, but thanks to Rufian’s PSA I cancelled my $50 BIN eBay listing for this old Kenner Knight Rider car I found in my attic and threw it up as an auction listing instead.

I am very successful on ebay....most things I want I get below what I wanted to pay.

Set a price, maximum you want to pay, and bid at the 4 second mark......

If you win you will win by 1 bid higher than the last highest bid, if you lose, someone wanted to pay more than you.

Its called sniping.

And if someone wanted to pay more than you, thats the breaks...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I'll assume the OP would vote for Bernie Sanders since he feels the open market isn't "fair".

I am very successful on ebay....most things I want I get below what I wanted to pay.

Set a price, maximum you want to pay, and bid at the 4 second mark......

If you win you will win by 1 bid higher than the last highest bid, if you lose, someone wanted to pay more than you.

Its called sniping.

And if someone wanted to pay more than you, thats the breaks...

or you can be a jerk, create a new account, set a price much higher than you would pay and ruin everybody else and don't pay item or if someone else wins, they got screwed as they will massively overpay for an item

Welcome to the real world where everything is valid

or you can be a jerk, create a new account, set a price much higher than you would pay and ruin everybody else and don't pay item or if someone else wins, they got screwed as they will massively overpay for an item

Salt content high...

Yes that happens. But since I have well over 1000 feedback, its rare I can tell you.

Much more likely there is someone out there who is willing to pay more than you......

People pay stupid money for the stuff I sell all the time...

Yes that happens. But since I have well over 1000 feedback, its rare I can tell you.

Much more likely there is someone out there who is willing to pay more than you......

People pay stupid money for the stuff I sell all the time...

That’s the problem. The bid starts low and by the end the price pretty much is near or even the same as the rip off buy it now versions of the same item

Bidding sucks and fools can’t see the only ones who benefit is ebay and the seller. Good thing bidding is dying as most items on ebay are buy it now i would say at least 90% of items are buy it now

The mentality of the average Ebay bidder

- He wants to get the best possible item for as cheap as possible. Just from the start this is a flawed mindset, as this never happens in the real world

- He doesn’t realize he is not the only one who wants the same.

- He will avoid the more expensive buy it now offers as he is looking to spend as little as possible.

- Seller lists item as cheap as possible to force bid war. This forces people to early bid to prevent nasty sellers from canceling the auction due to no bids/people waiting till the last minute to bid the lowest amount possible

- Early bidding turns into a war of usually 2 or 3 idiots constantly outbidding each other for only a few cents for the whole week of the listing

- Fools don’t realize their stupidity is just rising the price more than it should be

- By the near end of the auction, the price catapults to as close to the same as buy it now items due all the people thinking irrationally and just wanting to win the competition and in the end, the fool who won didn’t really save much if at all. Only ebay and the seller benefited from this nonsense.

- the fools who lost, will move on to another item and repeat the same crap again

- they will continue to avoid the buy it now items in hope of getting it as cheap as possible without realizing it will never happen as that very same mindset, will collectively rise the price of the item

Re: The mentality of the average Ebay bidder

You seem a bit butt hurt from your experiences. So I'll help you out.

I take it the "He" and "Idiots" are you.

-He wants to get the best possible item for as cheap as possible. Just from the start this is a flawed mindset, as this never happens in the real world
The mindset of any human is to get a product or service for as little as possible. Why is this hard to grasp.

- He doesn’t realize he is not the only one who wants the same.
This is just stupid as if it's on ebay the world is watching and at some point someone else might want it to relive their youth.

- He will avoid the more expensive buy it now offers as he is looking to spend as little as possible.
Again...The mindset of any human is to get a product or service for as little as possible. Why is this hard to grasp.

- Seller lists item as cheap as possible to force bid war. This forces people to early bid to prevent nasty sellers from canceling the auction due to no bids/people waiting till the last minute to bid the lowest amount possible
This is the whole point of an auction, you should look the definition up.

- Early bidding turns into a war of usually 2 or 3 idiots constantly outbidding each other for only a few cents for the whole week of the listing
Why are they idiots for a product they might want. Again...Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

- Fools don’t realize their stupidity is just rising the cost more than it should be
Fools? If someone wants something bad enough they will pay for it.

- By the near end of the auction, the price catapults to as close to the same as buy it now items due all the people thinking irrationally and just wanting to win the competition and in the end, the fool who won didn’t really save much if at all. Only ebay and the seller benefited from this nonsense.
The Buy it Now is set and the start price is set, if you yourself again, could save hundreds of dollars to try and win it in an auction for and skip the Buy it now, good luck.

- the fools who lost, will move on to another item and repeat the same crap again
Why again are they fools. They lost the item they were bidding on and they will try and find it elsewhere on another auction site.

- they will continue to avoid the buy it now items in hope of getting it as cheap as possible without realizing it will never happen as that very same mindset, will collectively rise the price of the item
You are repeating yourself in your rants.

Bottom line, If you really wanted the Kenner Knight Rider from when you were a kid you have to grasp that you may have to pay a bit more than you'd like to get it. You have to weigh how much it is worth to you. We by and sell stuff on ebay and here all the time and I do my research to see what something has sold for and WHAT IT IS WORTH TO YOU!

Back