Captain Toy Picks Best and Worst for 2018

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yep, I'm running late this year, but have no fear - I'm getting those Poppies results tallied! Unfortunately, I won't be online much for the next 10 days however, so it's going to be the first week of March before you see the results. Blame real life.

But to help tide you over, I'm getting my picks up tonight of the Best and Worst of 2018! Yea, you'll find plenty to agree - and disagree - with in this one. You can find it here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/mwc-picks-2018.htm

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael

All I gotta say....
LOL @ M8

Nice smattering of views on those figures. My biggest letdown was Furiosa by VTS. I think that was 2018.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I am going to second that and raise it by saying that VTS Furiosa was my all time biggest 1/6 scale figure purchase disappointment.

I don't really get the apppeal of them at all, but even so there are far worse and less worthy Funko Pop Vinyls than Dan Aykroyd/Louis Winthorpe III from the classic Trading Places. Chris Hardwick, anyone?

DQvLcVwUQAAvSK-.jpg

The only Pop Vinyl I would ever buy would be the "False God" Superman statue from BvS. And that's only because I can't believe they made it into a Pop Vinyl!

I know its just my opinion but putting Wesley above Yondu is a head scratcher - and I'm a big fan of Princess Bride.

Allot of figures to wade through this past year. But I have to agree on the low-end stuff. The "return" of Mego could not have been designed and botched any worse than what took place. Truly bizarre licensing and some of the cheapest looking figures I've seen with consideration to this style. Allot of companies have tried to ape the old 70's look, but this one is probably the most egregious, especially with them hiding behind an old name that made far more popular licenses than these throw away lines. Even where they picked up the hero license, those big bulky figures looked like dollar store quality releases.

The Executive Replicas company has been trying to generate LIS figures for nearly 20 years. I agree this one is probably their least successful effort in terms of resemblance. There's a little bit there, but the features are pretty soft for a figure in this scale. For 1/6th, you're in the big leagues, so you really need to be competitive to succeed. On a side note, I never understood why they made an alternate John Robinson figure with such a huge sticker price. That was strange.

Never saw the Princess Bride figure so that was a nice surprise. I've grown a little tired of the Star Wars license so its hard for me to gauge where they're at in terms of creating better product or just rehashing old figures with new packaging. Great article and nicely balanced choices from my vantage point. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah I have to agree about those new Mego figures. Even for supposed figures from the 70s, they look surprisingly cheap and ugly.

But then again, so was the 70’s...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Back