Hot Toys Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel & Flesh

Freakzoid
Reaction score
This one is for the Darth Vader experts

I like creating scenery for my figures for display purposes and I want to recreate scene in ROTJ, now I know a ANH Darth is very different to a ROTJ Darth but can a ESB Darth be used as I can't see anything different between ESB and ROTJ Darth apart from some flashing lights on his chest box.

There's a few differences.
Off the top of my head:

- ANH helmet has widow's peak
- Different paint scheme in chest armor and shoulder bells
- Different pattern on gloves
- ANH tunic placed over the chest armor
- Chest box is different
- Red tinted lenses on ANH face mask

I think there are also some subtle differences in the light saber, and the entire look is more polished. ANH Vader was a bit beat up.

:slap

Oh, silly me...
:lol

Well, as far as I know, it's really subtle differences, mainly the larger eyes. I think ESB Vader can stand in for ROTJ Vader.

You're right but I've been in this hobby long enough to know there's probably a ton of differences that we don't know about. I'll let someone more experienced chime in. In the meantime, "yes", ESB Vader would make a fine RotJ Vader and vice versa.

I don’t know what they are exactly, but to the general eye, there’s no major differences, an ESB Vader would be a suitable stand in. However, if what you want is a RotJ Vader, then I’d just wait for the inevitable RotJ Vader.

All the in accuracies and differences between ANH, ESB, and ROTJ I learned is from this site... Without this site I don't even know the differences. [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

The differences that stand out to me are the ROTJ suit has the cape hook on the chest armor, a slightly different chest box, and is overall even more glossy. And as Dave James pointed out, ROTJ Vader is not quite as lean looking. He also wears the suit a bit differently with the belt lower so there’s a larger gap between the chest box and the belt (which accentuates his gut a little more, IMO).

The other big difference is the helmet. It’s hard to put into words imo, but they have very different looks. The ROTJ helmet has a “fat” bottom lip, seemingly larger eyes (I’ve seen kinda convincing debates arguing against this, but somehow they still *look* bigger whether they actually are or not), and the skirt of the dome looks shorter. To me the ROTJ helmet is the worst looking screen used helmet except ROTS.

I find it strange that there are plenty of behind-the-scenes images and production stills where the ROTJ helmet looks just as good as the ESB helmet. But onscreen in the film itself it just... doesn’t. (FWIW there’s plenty of still images where it looks just as bad as onscreen too). Not that the ROTJ helmet is terrible. It just isn’t as good looking as the ANH or ESB helmets, or even the Rogue One helmet.

The biggest difference I've always seen is less with the costume than the fact Prowse appeared a bit leaner in ESB than in ROTJ.

Yeah, Prowse definitely has more of a "Dad" body in ROTJ, probably some love handles holding that belt up - I guess he was just conforming to Vader's ROTJ Dad moment.:lol

Dad-bod Darth :lol

From a helmet or dome point of view, I always saw them going from angry/frowning to more awake/enlightened (Bad to good) or from squinting, surprised... more surprised. 😠😕😳
Also besides the dull to super shiny finish the chin vents get larger from ANH to ESB/ROTJ.

Looks like Hot Toys ESB Vader will have to do for now even though on closer scrutiny all kinds of differences appear, I wonder if Hot Toys will pickup on those subtle differences when they release a RETJ Vader.

There are quite a few differences between the ESB and RotJ Vader. All armor parts are cleaned up more and don't have the leftover paint damage and scratches left over from the ANH parts that are seen on the ESB stuff. There are a few instances in RotJ where they use ESB parts and they are instantly recognizable to people who study the props and the differences. And they used a few shots of Vader from ESB as well.

Besides sanding down the bumps and scratches to a more smooth finish they also made some distinct alterations.
On the ESB dome at the widows peak area they had rounded the bottom tip a lot and sanded the area with the Y crease so it is barely visible, whereas on the RotJ they sanded the bottom flat and filled the Y crease area completely.

nKeZBCd.jpg

The mask is basically the same as ESB, only slimmer, again sanded more, and painted differently. The "larger eyes" look is caused by the dome sitting higher and the front of the eyebrow surface has been painted black halfway up the surface, making it appear slimmer and the eyes "larger". The one with the fatter bottom lip is a stunt fencing helmet with perspex cheeks and chin - Seen predominantly at the end duel and when Vader watches Luke being tortured. They also cut the chin triangle larger and more pointy than ESB.

DYt0ksV.jpg

They also had the shoulder bells sit level with the armor and not beneath it like ANH and ESB.

The chest box is more simplified than ESB - more straight. Where the rods and various greeblies on the ESB were all different, the RotJ goes for a more mirrored look with the rods and metal greeblies and removed two of the smaller greeblies from the box. Unsure of the belt boxes - haven't studied them as much yet, but they seem fairly similar to the ESB boxes, but perhaps with different colored green lens covers (even two different colored green lens covers on each box).

Because of the smoother look to the parts, having been sanded, the shine seems more gloss than ESB, but they were painted with the same colors and finished the same. Paint scheme on the mask is slightly different between the two. The lighting causes a lot of how different the two look, but the props are actually pretty similar.

Last edited:
Prefer the ESB look, RoTJ too shiny and soft for Lucas' lived in universe.

This is the comprehensive ...

For the purposes of hot toys, likely the differences they would make would be in the chest box.

(The other differences are so subtle they may not even be able to achieve them considering even the interior eyelids are not black)

The chest box between ESB and Roth are essentially the same but the easiest tell is the silver greeblies embedded within the 4 buttons
And the two on the right

In the row of four “buttons”m
There are three greeblies in ESB and only
Two in Roj.

And among the TWO SQUARE BUTTONS
TWO greeblies one stop each in ESB
And only the ONE between the two in roj

*Also in roj the three lit buttons (coinslots) are BLACK just around the slot opening.

Like this pic was the easiest I found:

B22342C8-0FE1-456E-8FF5-3DBE1EE237A0.jpeg

2D03EF0A-CF97-480A-86D4-A1A9FB22A76A.jpeg
Roj version example

There are quite a few differences between the ESB and RotJ Vader. All armor parts are cleaned up more and don't have the leftover paint damage and scratches left over from the ANH parts that are seen on the ESB stuff. There are a few instances in RotJ where they use ESB parts and they are instantly recognizable to people who study the props and the differences. And they used a few shots of Vader from ESB as well.

Besides sanding down the bumps and scratches to a more smooth finish they also made some distinct alterations.
On the ESB dome at the widows peak area they had rounded the bottom tip a lot and sanded the area with the Y crease so it is barely visible, whereas on the RotJ they sanded the bottom flat and filled the Y crease area completely.

nKeZBCd.jpg

The mask is basically the same as ESB, only slimmer, again sanded more, and painted differently. The "larger eyes" look is caused by the dome sitting higher and the front of the eyebrow surface has been painted black halfway up the surface, making it appear slimmer and the eyes "larger". The one with the fatter bottom lip is a stunt fencing helmet with perspex cheeks and chin - Seen predominantly at the end duel and when Vader watches Luke being tortured. They also cut the chin triangle larger and more pointy than ESB.

DYt0ksV.jpg

They also had the shoulder bells sit level with the armor and not beneath it like ANH and ESB.

The chest box is more simplified than ESB - more straight. Where the rods and various greeblies on the ESB were all different, the RotJ goes for a more mirrored look with the rods and metal greeblies and removed two of the smaller greeblies from the box. Unsure of the belt boxes - haven't studied them as much yet, but they seem fairly similar to the ESB boxes, but perhaps with different colored green lens covers (even two different colored green lens covers on each box).

Because of the smoother look to the parts, having been sanded, the shine seems more gloss than ESB, but they were painted with the same colors and finished the same. Paint scheme on the mask is slightly different between the two. The lighting causes a lot of how different the two look, but the props are actually pretty similar.

(The other differences are so subtle they may not even be able to achieve them considering even the interior eyelids are not black)
Inner eyelids are black.

, on Flickr

I Worked on a 3D model of the RotJ chest box yesterday. Was under the impression it was very similar to the ESB with just a few greeblies removed, but it really isn't and there are a few different versions - I just picked the one I liked. Though the real box isn't as straight as my old box, I still decided to use it as it looks closer than the wonky ANH/ESB box model a friend made for me. I may still do some tweaks, but I'm pretty happy with the look and placement.

ANH - ESB - RotJ
, on Flickr

But seeing your picture above I can see I still have some work to do on the RotJ box, so thanks for that. :)

Last edited:
Inner eyelids are black.

, on Flickr

I Worked on a 3D model of the RotJ chest box yesterday. Was under the impression it was very similar to the ESB with just a few greeblies removed, but it really isn't and there are a few different versions - I just picked the one I liked. Though the real box isn't as straight as my old box, I still decided to use it as it looks closer than the wonky ANH/ESB box model a friend made for me. I may still do some tweaks, but I'm pretty happy with the look and placement.

ANH - ESB - RotJ
, on Flickr

But seeing your picture above I can see I still have some work to do on the RotJ box, so thanks for that. :)

They inner eyelids are grey on the FIGURE.
My point being that even hot toys haven’t made that decision to paint the interior of the eyelid, so the idea that they’d do a very slight change that’s not obvious to most people is unlikely.

Back