Action Figure NECA Friday the 13th Part V Ultimate Roy Burns

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FriendlyPiranha

Super Freak
Reaction score
Toy-Fair-2019-NECA-Horror-012.jpg

Toy-Fair-2019-NECA-Horror-013.jpg

Toy-Fair-2019-NECA-Horror-016.jpg

I understand that they're doing figs from all the movies but I don't think anyone would have cared if they skipped this one and went straight to part VII.

I understand that they're doing figs from all the movies but I don't think anyone would have cared if they skipped this one and went straight to part VII.

Especially with such a lazy re-tooling of the 2018 Myers. They just added the head and changed the torso a little bit. Very disappointing.

I’m actually glad to be getting the Roy version of Jason. I actually thought it might be one that they’d just skip over. It’s not my favorite film in the franchise, but I don’t mind it and it’s got a uniqueness to it with the different mask and the fact that he wears different clothing than Jason normally does (and obviously the Roy sculpt).

Yea, if they're doing all the films then Roy is a part of that history, and should be included. I also don't see what's lazy about using existing parts that are accurate to the look he had in the film. I could see that if all they did was pop the Roy head on the Myers body, but they altered the collar so it lays flat instead of popped up like Myers. Not sure what else they could do.

I know it’ll never happen but I wish we could get a Tommy. Ideally from Jason Lives but I’d take the version from A New Beginning. I’d also like a Pamela but I think there’s some rights issues there.

I know it’ll never happen but I wish we could get a Tommy. Ideally from Jason Lives but I’d take the version from A New Beginning. I’d also like a Pamela but I think there’s some rights issues there.

Two pack with Corey Feldman, and Thom Mathews. I'm kind of joking, but kind of not lol

And to think there was a time we were told this one would never happen because of tooling costs.

Roy looks excellent imo. I'm glad they didn't just reuse the head from the retro version, this new head sculpt looks so much better. From what I can tell it looks like they reused the arms, hands, legs, and neck from the 2018 Myers body, with Jason's boots. The outer torso is new, but there are some sculpt details that has me suspect that they used the 2018 myers torso as a basis for the sculpt, and they just reworked it to get the details correct for Roy's coveralls. Speaking of which, it does appear that they are trying to make the coveralls look spruce green rather than just plain blue. The accessories all look fantastic. I can't wait to see how the final product looks. I think they did him justice.

And to think there was a time we were told this one would never happen because of tooling costs.

Roy looks excellent imo. I'm glad they didn't just reuse the head from the retro version, this new head sculpt looks so much better. From what I can tell it looks like they reused the arms, hands, legs, and neck from the 2018 Myers body, with Jason's boots. The outer torso is new, but there are some sculpt details that has me suspect that they used the 2018 myers torso as a basis for the sculpt, and they just reworked it to get the details correct for Roy's coveralls. Speaking of which, it does appear that they are trying to make the coveralls look spruce green rather than just plain blue. The accessories all look fantastic. I can't wait to see how the final product looks. I think they did him justice.

I love the look as of now. As always, I'll be buying multiples. I have the original box set of F13 1 & 2 so every new figure is a step closer to completion. To be honest, it seems like they are winding down the F13 license. Probably have a few years left which would be plenty of time to get all of them done. I think we get remake, part 5, part 8 and see pics of part 7 before the end of the year.... all that's left would be 9 and X. X will have a regular and uber version.

Ultimate Roy Burns by scarrviper, on Flickr

I picked him up at a local shop yesterday, still no sign of him at Target yet.

I would have posted my initial thoughts on this figure last night, but for some reason flickr glitched out and wouldn't let me view or edit anything.

So what do I think of Roy? He is fantastic. I can see why so many reviews have said he's the best "Jason" that Neca has produced in this line. Obviously someone at Neca loves part 5, as they went all out to produce the most accurate figure they could. It's funny how for years we were told this would never happen because of tooling cost, but thanks to Halloween 2018, Neca was able to produce a new body for Michael Myers that could then be re-used to give us Roy.

This figure uses the neck/underlying torso, arms, hands, and legs from that figure with a new torso overlay that is based off the Myers sculpt but has been heavily altered. His boots are modified Jason Part 3/4 boots.

The new headsculpt is one of Neca's best human likenesses imo, it is spot on to the actor. This sculpt is far superior to the one from the retro style mego figure they did years ago.

The paintjob is very elaborate. They absolutely nailed the color of the coveralls. These are spruce green for sure. In hand they are green, but depending on the lighting, angle, and distance they can appear blue, even a very dark blue. It's pretty cool they managed to get that right. I would have preferred they left off the stomach wound, but I understand what they were going for and it does look great regardless. The boots are a nice weathered brown and as usual the eyelets are cleanly painted in silver. I do wish his hands were flesh tone plastic rather than painted over, but that's minor issue. They do have some subtle dry brush weathering on them, I may add a wash to give them some depth.

His face paintjob is very detailed with lots of shading, I think they used that printing technology that seems to be getting more popular these days. The eyes are nice and cleanly done.

The accessories are excellent for the most part. This might be the most weapons we've ever received with one of these figures. The only weapon from the film that is missing is the axe, but you can borrow the one from the dream sequence Jason since it might be the same prop. I would have preferred the axe over the railroad spike, but it's ok. The mask is really well done, it looks to be a brand new sculpt. The color and weathering is correct and the iconic blue chevrons are just right. The straps even have the tiny stitch lines painted on. The machete is excellent, with the most realistic blood paint I've ever seen from Neca. Same goes for the cleaver, the blood is perfect. He also has the hunting knife (which has the worst of the blood apps but I'll cover that later), the hedge clippers which do open and close, the spear, the road flare, and the tree branch with strap and actual metal rings. It really surprised me that they were able to pull that one off. He also has an extra left gripping hand.

Now, as much as I love this figure, I do have some complaints/issues, mostly minor and may only be with my sample.

First, I wish he wasn't packaged with the mask on. With the mask on you have no way of knowing how good or bad the paint on his face is when choosing one at the store. You can only see if his eyes are good. When I first unboxed him, I about had a heart attack because his mask was stuck to his face and wouldn't come off. It felt glued on. I was able to gently tug on it until it popped free and thought for sure the paint underneath would be ruined. Thankfully it wasn't. There was a small blue dot on his chin which came off with some rubbing alcohol on the end of a wooden toothpick. The end of his nose is a little discolored, but I may try to fix that with some carefully mixed paint. I think the issue is that the mask is just too tight on his head. It just barely fits over his head, and only fits one way. The rest of his face was fine, except for his teeth, which were printed onto his upper lip for some reason. I will be repainting his mouth to correct this. There were also some blue scuff marks on his neck which thankfully came off with rubbing alcohol.

Do compare masks if you can, the weathering varies, and some have more prominent mold lines. They all have them, but they are not as distracting as the ones on the remake mask.

My figure does suffer from one leg longer than the other syndrome, but it is not as bad as ones I've seen on youtube. He can at least be adjusted and stand up straight without issues. Also be sure to have a hairdryer handy, his elbows and knees were very stiff right out of the box, but once you get them to move they are fine. Be sure to heat up his hands too so you can get his weapons into them safely.

His weapons are excellent overall, but I do have a few issues. All of my bladed weapons seem to have been shorted on their metallic paint. The hunting knife is the worst offender, the blade is practically transparent when in sunlight. Combine that with the odd almost pink blood on the end made it a candidate for a full repaint. This issue was not noticeable in the packaging. My machete and cleaver thankfully are not nearly as bad. However, one half of my hedge clippers was very light on metallic paint, so I am touching that up. I'm curious if this is just my sample or if more are like this. Speaking of transparency, while I love the inclusion of the road flare, I do wish the effect had been made translucent rather than just painted solid. One last problem is that the tape from the packaging left a really sticky residue on one side of the spear. It's been a ***** to remove. I've tried goo gone, rubbing alcohol, and soap & water several times. Its mostly gone now, but it very annoying to deal with.

Overall, I love this figure, and I think fans will be pleased. Neca went above and beyond with this one and I think they delivered. Part 5 is certainly bizarre, and not everyone's favorite in the series, but it's awesome to finally have a definitive figure of this character. The retro mego style version of Roy was oddly enough my first ever Friday the 13th figure, so this was almost nostalgic in a way when I picked this figure up.

So glad I waited on the mego Roy. I don't do the Mego figures.... they just look bad to me (I get what they are going for) but I just don't care for that aesthetic unless it's something we'll never be able to get (SNDN 1 & 2) figures.

Thanks for the review. I just squandered all my cash on a couple of FVJ ultimate Jasons, another part 4 Jason and some NBA tickets for my son so I'll be hoping to get several of these. I would like to get one signed by **** Weiand and Tom Morga.... I don't know if Weiand does conventions but I know I've seen Morga before at one.

This came out pretty good if you ask me. The sculpt of Roy looks quite nice. Definitely need to grab him at some point.

Dropped into Target at just the right time today. The person who stocks NECA stuff happened to be there and was actually just opening the box of stock. Spotted the Part V box right on top and grabbed it from her. Stoked to have Roy in my collection. One of the cooler versions of ?Jason? to get from the line in my opinion. Awesome that NECA made him.

Dropped into Target at just the right time today. The person who stocks NECA stuff happened to be there and was actually just opening the box of stock. Spotted the Part V box right on top and grabbed it from her. Stoked to have Roy in my collection. One of the cooler versions of ?Jason? to get from the line in my opinion. Awesome that NECA made him.

Agreed whole heartedly..... so many times Randy from Neca was asked on twitter and so many times he shot fans down. Glad to see them finally get it done. Wish theyd have been a bit quicker so we could have gotten all the remaining versions and finished the set. I hope the stupid case gets resolved very soon so NECA can give us what we want.

Back