Sideshow Planet of the Apes question.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dollmanron

Super Freak
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum but here goes. I wanted to know if anyone knows the production number of how many Sideshow Exclusive Beneath the Planet of the Apes Mutant Jailors were made.? I thought I read somewhere if was 500, but I think I remember somewhere it was 250 too, so which was it? Any help would be appreciated , thanks.

I believe it was 250, sorry I can't say with certainty however. I love that a lot of the POTA exclusive figures were only 500. Imagine SW fans collecting editions of 10,000 + thinking they're rare. :lol

I don't have any of the exclusives unfortunately. Although I wish I'd been able to get a 'Forbidden Zone Taylor' even though I think that should have been the regular, and the clean shaven one the limited version....

I believe it was 250, sorry I can't say with certainty however. I love that a lot of the POTA exclusive figures were only 500. Imagine SW fans collecting editions of 10,000 + thinking they're rare. :lol

Imagine POTA collectors thinking they're special with their limited edition releases. :lol

Imagine POTA collectors thinking they're special with their limited edition releases. :lol

Not sure what this brainless comment is to infer outside of inciting insult. I find your immaturity disturbing.

Yeah, I'll never understand why people with no interest in a certain area of collecting feel the need to comment in threads like these.

Perhaps "the Duke" should crawl back into that Sarlacc Pit from where he came from.

Not sure what this brainless comment is to infer outside of inciting insult. I find your immaturity disturbing.

lol I'm the immature one? You clearly laid the insult to SW collectors. The vast majority know they're buying mass market collectibles and don't give a **** about the edition size. If you having 1 of 500 makes you feel better than someone who has 1 of 10,000, good for you!

Yeah, I'll never understand why people with no interest in a certain area of collecting feel the need to comment in threads like these.

Perhaps "the Duke" should crawl back into that Sarlacc Pit from where he came from.

Did I say I didn't have any interest? I like the POTA movies so maybe this thread would interest me.

I'm just I find it laughable when people think they're really collectors because they have something super exclusive and everyone else is kidding themselves.

No, I don't think you understood Sticks at all.

Because there was such low interest in this line at the time (or Sideshow flooded the market with too many figures at one time), Sideshow reduced their production numbers for their POTA line dramatically... even way below the stated numbers. Some of these exclusives go for CRAZY money on eBay because of these extremely low numbers. It's really frustrating for people to try and complete their collection of this line so many years later only to find and handful of items WAY out of your price range.

The exclusive Mutant Jailor went for over $300 recently on eBay... quite a price hike for it's original $45 price tag. You don't see the Sideshow exclusive versions of their Star Wars figures going for that much. I know... I've been trying to sell them for years.

And eventually the supply of these rare items dry up. Several of these items are not finding their way to the marketplace that often. The Premium Format Dr. Zaius is exceptionally rare and when he does he sells for between $600-$800. I sold my ULTRA RARE exclusive Bloody Lawgiver (I think less than 50 were made) for nearly a $1K a few years back.

Luckily, Star Wars fans, for which I count myself as one, generally don't have to deal with such low production numbers when trying to collect your favorite figures. POTA fans are not special... just cursed with a small fan base willing to support a figure line. Sideshow gave up on us. Hot Toys gave up on us. NECA gave up on us. I sit and wait for some other company take a chance and produce quality POTA figures.

Sorry,I don't count the ReAction abominations.

Sorry,I don't count the ReAction abominations.

Not even the Law Giver due out next week? Always great to hear from you PZ. I hope your son is still interested in the apes. How is that Neca Urko head holding up?

I would like to have seen more Hot Toys POTA figures.
DollmanRon, I think all of us ape fans wish Hot Toys continued the line. Imagine HT quality Dr. Zauis, Zira, and Cornelius, nova, and a deluxe Commander/Slave Taylor, and that's just for starters.

I like how Reaction Super 7 has painted the ape Patrolman, and Hunter differently, even their face color. It helps to add variety but those prices for a 3.75" figure are getting very steep, and this applies across the board of all franchises.

Last edited:
That Lawgiver is a no brainer... OF COURSE I'll be buying it!

If I were to buy those ReAction POTA figures, it would be for the beautiful art on those cards. Simply stunning!

I am considering buying some of the upcoming WETA offerings. Those cartoony Mini Epic figures look fun. And that Ursus statue is kind of cool. $300 is a bit steep though.

And yes. my son is still very much interested in Apes. We both went to the Monsterpalooza convention in LA last year to meet Lou Wagner and see him get "aped" up for an upcoming Apes documentary, Making Apes.

He and I were both VERY bummed to find out that the filming locations for the film on the Fox Ranch went up in flames during the California fires last year. We had always planned on scouting that location together someday.

And he holds up that NECA Urko as the ONLY figure he has that I don't have.

I still hate the fact that when Neca's lawgiver came out I was on a shoestring budget and couldn't afford one. It's another example of Apes product skyrocketing on the secondary market. The fact that there's so much competition for this stuff shows that there's a market for it, but every retail line has failed. It's quite the conundrum.

NECA’s line failed due to poor decisions made on their part. No Taylor, Nova, and even Brent, was one of the dumbest decisions ever made. Not to mention trying to mass-produce them for the Target crowd was idiotic; most little kids don’t care about the original POTA, so why would parents buy them. Over-production for that market, to have them become peg-warmers, made the morons at NECA think they were poor sellers, when it really boiled down to them trying to reach the wrong audience. If HT were to do the original Apes again, I’d sell half my collection to get everything I could.

That Lawgiver is a no brainer... OF COURSE I'll be buying it!

If I were to buy those ReAction POTA figures, it would be for the beautiful art on those cards. Simply stunning!

I am considering buying some of the upcoming WETA offerings. Those cartoony Mini Epic figures look fun. And that Ursus statue is kind of cool. $300 is a bit steep though.

And yes. my son is still very much interested in Apes. We both went to the Monsterpalooza convention in LA last year to meet Lou Wagner and see him get "aped" up for an upcoming Apes documentary, Making Apes.

He and I were both VERY bummed to find out that the filming locations for the film on the Fox Ranch went up in flames during the California fires last year. We had always planned on scouting that location together someday.

And he holds up that NECA Urko as the ONLY figure he has that I don't have.

Haha, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that Law Giver! I agree about the card art, wow, beautiful. I might have to cave and try to get wave 1 & 2, but can't let the wife know, lol. You have the Medicom "Greatest Ape" right? How does that one look. I am hoping to one day get one of those as well and their Slave Taylor/Nova. I know that you said that they are smaller in scale. Talking of scale, do you know how tall those cartoony Mini Epic figures are? I can't find that info in their description. Also, it makes me smile to hear that your son is still happy with his Urko figure. :)

I still hate the fact that when Neca's lawgiver came out I was on a shoestring budget and couldn't afford one. It's another example of Apes product skyrocketing on the secondary market. The fact that there's so much competition for this stuff shows that there's a market for it, but every retail line has failed. It's quite the conundrum.

Oh the humanity, not quite sure why Randy at Neca made the choices he did, we may never know. Neca can make bloodied, skinned, and gutted human corpses for their Aliens line but not a two pack of wild "hunted" humans with great POTA artwork to help move them? Like Reaction Super7 knows, sometimes the artwork alone on the card, can really help sell an item. Just look at their Nova figure, :horror. I'm still thinking of buying the figures solely for the great artwork by Ed Repka! He did an amazing job staying true.

NECA’s line failed due to poor decisions made on their part. No Taylor, Nova, and even Brent, was one of the dumbest decisions ever made. Not to mention trying to mass-produce them for the Target crowd was idiotic; most little kids don’t care about the original POTA, so why would parents buy them. Over-production for that market, to have them become peg-warmers, made the morons at NECA think they were poor sellers, when it really boiled down to them trying to reach the wrong audience. If HT were to do the original Apes again, I’d sell half my collection to get everything I could.

I wonder if HT would ever consider revisiting the line now that their faux hair technology has improved. Dr. Z's robe would look amazing! I would also love to see I high quality ANSA suit. It would be nice to get Ironman1188 to come back and revitalize the charge. Save the Planet of the Apes!

Last edited:
Yeah, the Medicom Lawgiver is not scaled to the rest of the line... however, they erroneously added a scroll handle to the casing he holds in this right hand. But he is still nicely detailed. I also own the Lawgiver Kubrick figure as well.

Speaking of the Mutant Jailor, it's too bad we lost Don Pedro Colley, the actor who played "Ongaro" in the film. I had the fortunate opportunity to be the first to show him the figure at SDCC in 2006 and he couldn't have been more pleased. That time I had him sign the box.

DSCN3009 (2).jpg

Years later, being a fellow Oregonian, he appeared at a local comic con in 2015 where my son also got to meet him... it's funny that he actually remembered me. This time, he had a few Mutant Jailers with him to sell at his booth... I think he had them priced at around $150 with signature. That time I had him sign the base.

Last edited:
IMG_9138.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

From the reveal at last year's SDCC, the POTA Mini Epics appear to be about 6"-7" tall.

Back