“Tombstone” vs “Wyatt Earp” insights from Sam Elliot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen them both many times, although I watch Tombstone whenever it is on. I always have to stop and watch my favorite scene when Doc shoots Johnny Ringo. Love it!

Movie was released in 93 and I hate spoilers as much as anyone, but if you had any intention on seeing it you would have by now.

I've seen both several times. I actually liked Costner's Earp better than Russell's -- much better acted in my opinion. Quaid was remarkably good as Holliday, though not quite up to Kilmer. If it weren't for Kilmer, Quaid would've gotten a lot of recognition for his performance.

Sam Elliott was a way better Virgil Earp than Michael Madsen. I liked Morgan better from 'Wyatt Earp' (not sure who the actor was ... but I didn't care for Paxson). And, the love interest was WAY better in 'Wyatt Earp' -- the woman in Tombstone was an irritating party-girl and the love story entirely unnecessary. The woman in Wyatt Earp was far more charming and easier to see why Wyatt was taken with her.

The villains were much more memorable in Tombstone, though.

Overall, Tombstone is probably a better action move and pulp-ish western. But, Wyatt Earp is a better pure western. More of a western epic than the brief-in-time snapshot that Tombstone was. And, 'Wyatt' was a bit less cartoonish.

SnakeDoc

Yeah, I didn't care for the love interest in Tombstone either. Other than that I found it superior to Wyatt Earp in pretty much every way.

Agree 100%. Dana Delany was pretty annoying as Josie.

I've seen both several times. I actually liked Costner's Earp better than Russell's -- much better acted in my opinion. Quaid was remarkably good as Holliday, though not quite up to Kilmer. If it weren't for Kilmer, Quaid would've gotten a lot of recognition for his performance.

Sam Elliott was a way better Virgil Earp than Michael Madsen. I liked Morgan better from 'Wyatt Earp' (not sure who the actor was ... but I didn't care for Paxson). And, the love interest was WAY better in 'Wyatt Earp' -- the woman in Tombstone was an irritating party-girl and the love story entirely unnecessary. The woman in Wyatt Earp was far more charming and easier to see why Wyatt was taken with her.

The villains were much more memorable in Tombstone, though.

Overall, Tombstone is probably a better action move and pulp-ish western. But, Wyatt Earp is a better pure western. More of a western epic than the brief-in-time snapshot that Tombstone was. And, 'Wyatt' was a bit less cartoonish.

SnakeDoc

I couldn’t have summed up what I feel better.

I stumbled upon this article about Tombstone and it definitely brought back some fond memories. I mean, who doesn't love that movie, right? It's one of those classics that just never gets old. But reading Sam Elliott's take on it gave me a whole new appreciation for the film. It's always fascinating to hear behind-the-scenes stories and little tidbits that add more depth to something you already love.

Back