LOTR Diorama Idea Thread...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geb

Super Freak
Reaction score
After seeing the discussion about the 12-Inch Hobbits and the idea of a Balrog vs. Gandalf diorama...thought it would be cool to see what other thought would make good LOTR Dioramas. Keeping in mind that each diorama would only feature about 2-3 characters and only PART scenery...here are some of my ideas:

DELUXE Diorama of the Entire Fellowship accending the hill (FOTR promotional)
Balrog vs Gandalf in Moria (no brainer!!)...or on the mountaintop.
Cave Troll vs Legolas
Mumakil vs. Legolas
Eowyn/Merry vs Witchking and Fellbeast
Attack Troll vs Aragorn
Sauron vs. Elendil and Isildur
Weathertop (another no brainer)
Sam vs. Shelob
Aragorn vs. Mouth of Sauron
Council of Elrond with Gimli Swinging Axe
Gandalf vs. Saruman on top of Isengard
GROND Attacking Minas Tirith Gates
GTW vs. Withered Theoden
Faramir vs Orcs at Osgiliath
Lastly...Hobbits and Gandalf leaving into the West

I know this is quite a few but some would be perfect for the diorama format.

Geb

My mouth is watering with the prospect of this line. Anything with the fellowship would be great, battle in the chamber of records in Moria, gandalf and balrog, Eowyn and Merry vs the wiki must be done.....gandalf vs wiki?
And as I mentioned, Legolas and Gimli at Helms Deep to fit into the scene with the Aragorn sculpt.

The Battle Trolls entering MT would be cool with some small Gondorian soldiers mixed in.

I would love

Aragorn, Frodo and Boromir on Caradhras, when Aragorn has his hand on his sword hilt and Boromir handing over the ring.

Some of those sound really nice, but I wonder how well they can be pulled off in diorama form. Just thinking about the Gandalf vs Balrog, it either be ridiculously huge and expensive, or else Gandalf would be so small that he would be almost unrecognizable. Consider the scale of the original Balrog statue. If Gandalf would have been placed in that statue in scale, he would have been less than 6 inches tall, probably less than 4 inches.

How much are people really going to want to pay for a dio that is big enough to do some of these scenes justice?

I don't see why they couldn't pull it off in decent enough scale to look cool. On that one I'm more about the moment than the likeness being perfect to Sir Ian.

I really want the Fellowship walking. Maybe realease them in sets. First you could have Gandalf and Frodo as the first realease, then Legolas and Gimli, then Merry Pippin and Boromir, and finally Aragorn Sam and Bill. Also release a display base that you will be able to place all 9 members of the Fellowship in.

Well, I already passed on the Aragorn dio, simply because of the price. At these prices, and with everything that is coming out lately, I have to be a lot more selective than in the "old days".

I understand. That's why I won't be anyplace close to a completist on the PF or Dio lines in either LOTR or SW.

All these ideas are awesome and im sure I would love them all.
Although m not keen on the current Aragorn Vs piece, I don't collect bad guys, they scare me(i'm a woos) and I'm really reluctant to get this one.

I need Hobbits/Hobbiton/Elves/Council meeting/Gandalf Vs Saruman would be fantastic to name but a few
I would especially like one with some Last Alliance High Elven Infantrymen swinging their swords against the Orcs as seen in the Prologue.
That would :rock
x

I really love the diorama line. I just recieved the Frodo / Gollum piece and it has now been proven to me that Sideshow can produce polystone statues as good or better than when WETA was involved. I am not a fan of the PF line so I'm very happy Sideshow has brought back Polystone with the diorama series. The possibilities are endless.:D

Back