NHL Free Agency starting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitFisto

Super Freak
Reaction score
Another year for my Capitals to sit on their hands and expect fans to enjoy mediocrity!!!!

KitFisto said:
Another year for my Capitals to sit on their hands and expect fans to enjoy mediocrity!!!!

I'll trade you :monkey1

At least you have Alexander the Great.

the rangers made some good moves. and of course the islanders have lost out on all their talent. i guess they are waiting to sign someone to a 33 year contract.

KitFisto said:

Caps fan here in Baltimore. Ovechkin is the man, but they have to do something to help the D.

The New York Rangers have become a crazy team once again! They just signed two HUGE free agents in Chris Drury and Scott Gomez. Two top line centermen. A great two-way captain who is also Mr. Clutch come playoff time and another who is a crafty playmaker and will most likely be Jaromir Jagr's set up man. Can you say 45-50 goals for Jagr and 60-plus assists for Gomez?

Definitely the Rangers were the talk of the NHL and in my opinion the current big winners in the FA market... for now.

Big FA signing losers were the Calgary Flames signing depth defenseman Corey Sarich to a 5-year deal worth 18 million USD and the Toronto Maple Leafs signing 40 goal man Jason Blake to 4 million USD per season. Trust me, as good as his goal output was last season, 4 million per season player he's not. He'll be hard-pressed to even score 30 goals this season, let alone 40 again. Sarich is a BIG joke of signing. It's reminiscent of the Rangers signing Stephane Quintal, who was also a depth defenseman, and not a great one either to 3.9 million USD per season. I swear with the new inflated cap budget teams are signing players to ridiculous contracts, following stupid patterns from the pre-lock out NHL days.

Other signings worth mentioning: Defenseman Brian Rafalski to the Detroit Red Wings, defenseman Joni Pitkanen to the Edmonton Oilers, forward Daniel Briere to the Philadelphia Flyers, and defenseman Mathieu Schnieder to the Ducks of Anaheim.

Darth Loki said:
At least you have Alexander the Great.

I always hated how they ripped off Alexander Mogilny's nickname.:monkey4

Anyway, once again, a New York team is trying to buy a championship....Don't think it's going to work....

Glad to see the Leafs picked up Toskala before the free agency. Hope they pick up some one else beyond Jason Blake.

KAOSINLA said:
:rotfl Wasn't Smyth supposed to be their franchise player?

they had to be smoking something to think that he would stay in that cesspool of a franchise after this season. its a shame that the islanders cant put a quality team on the ice . they have some very die hard fans left over from the 80's dynasty years and a bunch of younger fans. the new fans are all going over to the darkside(NYR) but i dont blame them . the islanders are absolutely pathetic.
they will be good in a few years i believe. now that yashin is out hopefully they can save some money up and field a great team. also i hope they get the new arena but with such a poor team it makes that tough to accomplish.

Caps have done more than I thought they would. I am not thrilled with Poti, but Nylander is good and Kozlov is ok.

We still need a stud blueliner!

jlcmsu said:
Just hoping the Avs can make a couple nice moves to get back on top.

They got Hannan. I really wanted the Caps to make a play for him.

I need to see if my Penguins signed anyone tonight. So far I only heard of Ryan Whitney resigning to a 6-year deal worth 24 million USD.

Redwings lost Schnieder, Lang, Bertuzzi, and Calder. Got Rafalski. I like the Rafalski move, he is basically a younger Schnieder, probally a little better even. Hate losin' Bertuzzi, he added alot of physicallity to the forward lines, but he was a risk and wanted to much $$$. Hasek will sign, it is just a matter of when and now we need to add a forward that can score (obviously). Don't really know who's out there that I would want to pick up, maybe bring back Kozlov or add Guerin, I don't know?

And the Hawks give me another head scratcher by signing Lang :confused:

Have they ever thought about signing young talent?

Darth Loki said:
And the Hawks give me another head scratcher by signing Lang :confused:

Have they ever thought about signing young talent?

I didn't understand this move on either side. For Lang, he's got no shot to win now. From the Hawks standpoint they are "rebuilding" so signing an aging center does not make a lot of sense. He's just a stop gap, but still. The Hawks have holes everwhere and need SO much help.

Back