Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Sideshow Freaks
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: My custom HT Hudson and Apone and repainted Drake and Ripley heads..

Beautimus work Jedimike! Likeing your daring. Go for it bro!
    Great repaints.

And yeah, not to belabor this....but I am the white dot hater of all time...

NO WHITE DOTS!

Sorry. Had to do that. Use clear gloss dude. Only animes and little toy cuteseys have constant white dots in their eyes. I hate 'em with a passion. Make me cringe. Your figures are too bada$$ for the likes of those...things....

There. All better now.

But otherwise, you are rocking your figures quite seriously!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content DEADFEST 2007 10/31/07 New stuff:Hidden Content My Site: Hidden Content

Last Survivor
    Feedback
    Hey Mike, how about a group shot of all your figures together . . . On the Ready Line Marines! lol

Super Freak
    Feedback
    95 (100%)
    Hey Mike, or anyone who repainted Ripley, Did you paint the Ripley before or after you put her together? I am sending mine out to be repainted and am wondering what to do. I just got Ripley and want to put her together, but if it will be a pain in the @$$ I will wait.

GEAUX SAINTS!
    Feedback
    61 (100%)
    Wow, thanks Figuremasterles! A good review from you for my repaints and customs is a good thing...a very good thing! Especially after having seen your masterful work on the Elder Predator and your marines, and other commissioned work you've done. I really appreciate it Les!

I'll have a group shot of all my marines and Ripley soon for you to see Stendec. Everyone at least except for Hicks. I hope to get an extra Hudson from board member Cocoboloboy, and use him to make my custom Hicks. I got in the jumpsuit and white tennis shoes/sneakers today in the mail for my custom Bishop. I have to paint Bishop's eyes on the Frank Black SS figure. He'll be in my group shot too. The jump suit I got isn't 100% movie accurate, but it'll do for now. At least until I can get a suit for Bishop that is more accurate. Hey, Pjam and other board members who've made a custom Bishop what jumpsuit or flight suit did you use for him? Let me know here on this thread if you would. Thanks!

By the way, Les, all of the white dots in all of my marine are now gone. I even painted over the white dots in Drake's eyes that Hot Toys had in there. I added more blue in there, and more of a black pupil. I'll put some gloss coat on all of their eyes soon, and some matte coat spray on the rest of their heads. I'm really proud of how my Vasquez turned out too. I repainted her eyes, and put some dark shadowing around her eyes, and toned down her lips. I think she looks much more like actress Janette Goldstein as Vasquez in ALIENS than Hot Toys painted head did. Like other members here have said Hot Toys has snuck in some nice likenesses to the actors under their weird paintjobs for Ripley, Vasquez, and Drake. Not for Hudson and Apone and Hicks. That's where great custom heads come in and save the day.

Bwayne, I'd advise you to go ahead and put together your Ripley. You can easily take her head off and on with a little pressure. Just be sure to support her at her waist or knees when you are taking off the head or putting it on. That's what I do. I have taken off the head many times lately to repaint it and it comes off and on pretty easily. Who are you getting to repaint it? Figuremasterles? Have you seen Small_Collectibles awesome repaint? He put one on eBay recently, and he's posted some pictures of it here on the big Alien thread. Check them out! Of course Les's work is top-notch, and some of the best I've even seen!

Thanks again guys for all of your support and help. I'll post some pictures of my marines in line ready to kick some major alien *ss very soon. Take Care!
    Last edited by JediMike71; 06-21-2007 at 04:37 PM.
    Hidden Content

"What does it take to win? Teammates focused on the same goal. Fighting for the city they call home. For your team. For your city. For your home." Drew Brees from Madden N.F.L. 11

Super Freak
    Feedback
    95 (100%)
    Thanks for the help. I made a deal with DarkArtist81. I traded a Sandtrooper and Medicom Black Spidey (comic) for a few repaints. If I didn't make the trade, I was going to bid on the one on ebay. As it is, I spent more than I should have on a Hicks (but he is worth every penny).

I think the "white-dot technique" CAN work , but they must be REALLY small . I find the Frontline headsculpts can be tricky to paint when it comes to the eyes . I think this is due to the eyes being scaled correctly , because with most 1/6 heads , H.T included , the eyes are TOO large for aesthetic reasons . I painted the Frontline "Clint" and "Bruce Willis" heads and struggled like a Bastard to get the eyes looking right until I realised this . In the end , I painted Clint's eyes as completely in the shade i.e , a black line and likewise Bruce's ( very minimal) and voila! they looked great . Try and "overpaint" these areas and you'll come a cropper (sorry , U.K terminology!). Less , is more . Your figures are looking great though , Jedimike , keep it up ! ( Try out the pastel chalks though , you'll be amazed with the subtle effects you can acheive very easily ).
    "He's more machine now than man!"

GEAUX SAINTS!
    Feedback
    61 (100%)
    Thanks Thundergod. Yeah, I'm going to get some pastel chalks and give them a try. I've struggled with trying to "tone down" Ripley's lips and overdone it now. Now they look too pink for me and not that natural. I"m pretty happy with everyone else. Sideshow did a nice paintjob on the Frank Black head, so I just had to repaint his eyes and hair to look like he did as Bishop. I"m really happy with Vasquez after giving her the more accurate badass look like she had in the movie. I'll post some pictures of my marines all lined up very soon. Dealing with an earache right now, so I'm not too pumped up about doing much after a late night at work tonight.
    Hidden Content

"What does it take to win? Teammates focused on the same goal. Fighting for the city they call home. For your team. For your city. For your home." Drew Brees from Madden N.F.L. 11

GEAUX SAINTS!
    Feedback
    61 (100%)
    Here's some new pictures of my repainted Vasquez. I did the wash of makeup around her eyes on purpose to make the Hot Toys figure look more like Vasquez did later in the movie. I think it turned out great! I'm very happy with it. I haven't put matte coat spray or gloss coat on any of my figures yet. I will do that soon. I did remove all of the dreaded "white dots" out of all of their eyes. I also have a few group pictures of everyone except Bishop. I'll do a big line up of all of them soon and post it in my thread here. Check them out! Here's Vasquez:

Here's some group shots:

Hidden Content

Looks good Mike. Now you just gotta get her some of those Cheong arm-sleeves from War-Toys.

GEAUX SAINTS!
    Feedback
    61 (100%)
    Oh yeah. Don't you have those for your Vasquez Dave? How much are they? I'll look into getting some. How do you search for them on there? By the title "Cheong arm-sleeves"? Who are they made by? Dragon, Hot Toys, BBI? Let me know. Thanks. I may also paint Vasquez's skin a darker tone. I saw on Harry Harris's site, that Janette Goldstein is naturally faired-skinned, and they actually used body paint to make her skin look like the darker, "Hispanic" skin tone. What do you think?

I found Cheong on www.war-toys.com but they didn't show any "arm sleeves". Just the weapons and body armor for that particular figure. Do I need to look somewhere else on there for them? I did find that nice GSG-9 jumpsuit for my Bishop that is more accurate than the Dragon one I have now. It's only $2.95. I'll order it soon. Get back to me Dave about those "arm-sleeves" when you can. Thanks again!
    Last edited by JediMike71; 06-24-2007 at 10:07 PM.
    Hidden Content