Captain America movie is next

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronFingaz

GO CELTICS!!!
Reaction score
Captain America Is Marvel's Next

Kevin Feige, president of production for Marvel Studios and producer of the upcoming Iron Man movie, revealed that the company's next independently financed project will be a version of Captain America, which would mix a period story with a modern-day one.

"We'll have to play with Captain America as being a patriotic propoganda machine on one hand but also being a very human Steve Rogers, ... [an] interesting, fascinating hero in his own right," Feige told reporters on the set of Iron Man, which is in production in Playa Vista, Calif.

Is the script they're developing a period piece? "Right now what we're developing would be about half and half," Feige said.

Feige said that Captain America will aim for a PG-13 rating, like Iron Man. The comic studio has brought on writer David Self (Road to Perdition) to draft a screenplay. A director will be announced soon, Feige said. Production is expected to begin in a year.

Marvel, meanwhile, is gearing up production on The Incredible Hulk, which stars Edward Norton and is expected to commence principal photography on or around July 9, about the same time that Iron Man, starring Robert Downey Jr., wraps.

Marvel is also moving ahead on other productions, Feige said. Among them: Sub-Mariner, on which Jonathan Mostow is doing a rewrite of Self's script; Punisher 2, for which the studio would like to announce a director and actor soon; Thor, for which Mark Protosevich (The Cell) is drafting a script; and Wolverine, which will again star Hugh Jackman and will be released before the other X-Men spinoff, Magneto, which David S. Goyer will direct. —Patrick Lee, News Editor

Question---- who's going to find Cap once he freezes?

If not the Avengers then what's the point?

I wish they do the entire movie set in WWII and have it end with his freezing--- save the inivitable sequel for his re-emergence in a modern world with the original Avengers... Then you have ready-made characters that have been introduced to the general audience of theatre-goers.... OR, maybe they could finish the first Cap movie with the freezing... Have the Iron-Man & Thor movies come out first (as the Iron-Man will) and have the sequel for ALL THREE movies be the first AVENGERS movie....

NOW THAT'D BE SOMETHING SPECIAL!!!

Sweet, here's my choice for who should play Cap!

Neil McDonough

neal4.jpg

I'm more excited that they got David Self writing the script.

edit: on an interesting note, I just checked Self's IMDB page to see what else he had in the works, and it has a Deathlok movie listed before this one. hmmmm.

The absence of the Avengers could easily be filled by Nick Fury and SHIELD. They've always been an important part of the Captain America story....

The Mike said:
The absence of the Avengers could easily be filled by Nick Fury and SHIELD. They've always been an important part of the Captain America story....

A Nick Fury played by Samuel L. Jackson as it looks like in the ULTIMATES comic? (a joke that they made when discussing who would play them in a movie about them)

though a cool comic character, I always thought captain america is a silly character in real life. The name itself is just bad. Hopefully the people working on the movie can make this comic character not so silly in real life envirnment.

They on a roll today...

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Ahead of Friday's opening of "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," Marvel Studios has begun the process of bringing another of its comics to the big screen: the elite superhero team the Avengers.

Zak Penn, who wrote the screenplay for Marvel's upcoming "The Incredible Hulk," is slated to pen the live-action adaptation that would be titled "The Avengers."

On the other side of town, Warner Bros. Pictures is developing its superhero superteam, "Justice League of America," with Kieran Mulroney and Michele Mulroney having submitted a draft adapting the DC Comics series.

While Penn has not begun his screenplay, those who have read the Mulroneys' draft give it a thumbs-up, and a search for directors is about to begin.

One challenge facing the writers is which heroes to include in their scripts.

While the roster for the Avengers has changed since its inception in 1963, growing to include the likes of Spider-Man and X-Men hero Wolverine, the classic iteration of the team consisted of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the diminutive Ant-Man and Wasp. Other members have been the Hulk, the bow-and-arrow-wielding Hawkeye and the probability-altering gypsy Scarlet Witch.

Many of these heroes are getting their own starring portrayals in other movies, with Robert Downey Jr. as "Iron Man" already shooting; "Hulk" scheduled for a summer start, with Ed Norton starring; a "Thor" script being written by Mark Protosevich; and "Ant-Man" being developed by Edgar Wright ("Hot Fuzz"). Marvel wants to wait until all those films have entered the market before unleashing "The Avengers."

Marvel, which had licensed out some of its characters to various studios, owns the rights to most of the Avengers with the exception of Hulk, which Universal has.

"Avengers" has acted as the company's answer to DC Comics' best-seller "Justice League of America," which was banded together such A-list heroes as Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern as well as the Martian Manhunter.

One question that the respective companies will have to address before either movie is green lighted is whether to include the marquee superheroes such as Superman and the Hulk in ensemble projects.

If "The Avengers" and "Justice League" ultimately do include the biggest names among the superhero fraternity, then the question would turn to casting. Should Warners try to get Christian Bale and Brandon Routh, who star as Superman and Batman in their respective movies, into the ensemble films? Should Marvel talk to Norton and Downey about starring in "Avengers?"

The answers could be years in the making.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

DarthNeil said:
Question---- who's going to find Cap once he freezes?

If not the Avengers then what's the point?

I wish they do the entire movie set in WWII and have it end with his freezing--- save the inivitable sequel for his re-emergence in a modern world with the original Avengers... Then you have ready-made characters that have been introduced to the general audience of theatre-goers.... OR, maybe they could finish the first Cap movie with the freezing... Have the Iron-Man & Thor movies come out first (as the Iron-Man will) and have the sequel for ALL THREE movies be the first AVENGERS movie....

NOW THAT'D BE SOMETHING SPECIAL!!!

I 100% agree. This needs to be a WWII movie to set up Captain America's backstory. A Nazi Red Skull is a must. The freezing/dying at the end would be an unexpected ending for a mainstream American film, but it would be great.

I also like the idea of Nick Fury and SHEILD saving him later. While I like the original Fury, I also like the Sam Jackson Fury so I think he could be awesome as Fury (who should get his own film as well).

The one thing these Marvel movies have failed at is the sense of the Marvel Universe where all the characters interact with each other (I suppose this is because different studios own the different heros). The Avengers movie may be the first film to help put that together. I mean the FF or Spidey should run into eachother every now and then. I mean New York is BIG, but not that big.

I disagree, use the original Nick Fury! Don't care much for the Ultimate version.

IronFingaz said:
Nice choice, i liked him in Band Of Brothers.
Actually, I was the first that mentioned he should play the role in a thread about the Cap movie awhile back. I even gave comparison photos. He basically has the hairline, eyes, nose, chin and has already acted in a WWll situation before(BoB), so he's basically got it down cold.

minivader said:
though a cool comic character, I always thought captain america is a silly character in real life. The name itself is just bad. Hopefully the people working on the movie can make this comic character not so silly in real life envirnment.

Well, that's just ... just ... AAAAAAARRRRRHHHHHHH!!!!!
HulkEmoticon.gif

minivader said:

Where are you from? North Korea? Iran? :monkey3

Here's some more about the Avengers movie:

Zak Penn Talks Hulk’s Color And ‘Avengers’ Movie Plans

Don’t make “The Incredible Hulk” screenwriter Zak Penn angry…you wouldn’t like him when he’s angry. How can you avoid it? Don’t ask him if his latest incarnation of the classic Marvel superhero will be grey.

“That’s just a mistake, it’s not going to be grey. Of course he’s going to be green,” Penn admonished, responding to rumors circulating about a color change for the iconic mutant. In fact, Penn himself is green with envy over the way the Incredible Hulk was portrayed in the Lou Ferrigno television show, and told MTV that he wants the character to move in the direction of these classic roots. “I always felt about Ferrigno and the makeup was a much more naturalistic version of the Hulk. And that’s what we’re trying to go back to. His skin will appear more real,” Penn divulged. “In the first movie he was so green. He’s not going to be bright green.”

It’s a move towards realism that Penn hopes will permeate the reboot. “It’s not going to have the split screen and all that stuff because it’s more like a real thriller, man on the run, fugitive style movie,” Penn revealed of the flick’s plot. “That’s what I want to see.”

In a few years, the only thing greener than Hulk might be the money the character pulls in. Hulk will most likely also appear in an “Avengers” movie Penn is scripting, the screenwriter confessed.

“‘Avengers’ is definitely going to happen; the idea was always to do a crossover with multiple superheros,” he revealed of the superhero tag team group, Marvel’s answer to DC’s Justice League. “I’m waiting to let ‘Iron Man’ and ‘Hulk’ come out because those are two characters that could appear in it. I used to think that movie would be impossible to make but now I feel like it’s not.”

Interesting as well:

Marvel Comics announced that their next animated direct-to-DVD movie, Teen Avengers, will be aimed at a younger audience than their previous releases.

Marvel Comics announced that it plans to shake things up with their next animated direct-to-DVD release, currently titled Teen Avengers. Despite such previous releases as Fantastic Four and Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2 pulling some great numbers (and considerable buzz surrounding the Invincible Iron Man DVD), this next Marvel title will be skewed towards a younger audience than those previous releases.

To that end, producers are adhering to the current rules of Saturday morning cartoon television in order to make Teen Avengers more child-friendly. Marvel says that while there will be plenty of action, the violence and its effects will be toned down. Christopher Yost (Fantastic Four) is writing the script.

Teen Avengers has been billed as an all-new group of crime-fighting superheroes, and is not based on Alan Heinberg's successful Young Avengers series. It's believed that certain elements of Young Avengers, such as the romantic subplot between male characters Hulkling and Wiccan, wouldn't work with Marvel's vision for this movie.

Teen Avengers is tentatively scheduled for an early 2008 release.

Viking28 said:
I disagree, use the original Nick Fury! Don't care much for the Ultimate version.

I too prefer the original Nick Fury, but at the same time I like the Ultimate Nick Fury. They are two completely seperate characters to me. Theatrically, I can understand them using Sam Jackson since the Ultimates comic version is based on him. Can't get any more comic accurate than that right? I still like the classic version with the white streaked hair. Either version, I'd be fine with.

Modern Captain America NEEDS to be classic cap though, wings and all. The WWII not so much. Maybe Ultimate style there since it is a bit more realistic.

Back