New Woman Of DC Universe Series 2: Wonder Woman Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingmetal

Super Freak
Reaction score
Designed by Terry Dodson & sculpted by Jack Mathews:
wwwdcubustscaled600uu9.jpg

Designed by Terry Dodson
Sculpted by Jack Mathews

The popular WOMEN OF THE DC UNIVERSE line of cold-cast porcelain busts kicks off a new year with a new series of busts designed by illustrator Terry Dodson! Wonder Woman is first in the line, followed by seven more busts in 2008: Starfire, Cheetah, Batwoman, Silver Banshee, Wonder Girl, Catwoman and Huntress! This limited-edition, hand-painted, cold-cast porcelain busts measures approximately 5.5” tall x 3.75” wide x 2.5” deep and is packaged in a four-color box.

Advance-solicited; on sale January 16, 2008 • Bust • $49.99 US
Adam Hughes' designs will be difficult to follow, but I think they did a great job! I managed to only get one of the busts in the first series, and it's Hughes' Wonder Woman. They look nice but were way to small and the paint could've been better. Hopefully the second series will be better executed.

Definitely captures Dodson's style but I don't like the face. I really don't.

What's the deal with the glasses and the belt thingy in her other hand?
Are those clothes or some kind of flag?
:confused:

I'm definately stopping after Donna Troy, the end of the AH! line. Hughes' females are more playful. And I agree, production sucked on this line (even though most of mine are pretty decent) so I'm not sinking any more money into it.

Polystoner said:
What's the deal with the glasses and the belt thingy in her other hand?
Are those clothes or some kind of flag?
:confused:

I'm definately stopping after Donna Troy, the end of the AH! line. Hughes' females are more playful. And I agree, production sucked on this line (even though most of mine are pretty decent) so I'm not sinking any more money into it.
She's striping off her Agent Diana Prince costume:
DianaPrince.jpg

I missed out on the first round AH pieces.... Gotta get me some DC women, so I'll probably start picking these up given that the paint isnt horrible.

Just realised on sale Jan 2008, good lord thats a long time!

The Adam Hughes line isn't even finished and I already miss it. I wish DCD would just take a break for a while and offer a different line of busts not related to WDCU before doing this. Ah well.

I like the new design, but not more than the AH ones. I agree, they should have just stopped though. But at least there's some new ones.

Personally I wish DCD just reissued the original series in a slightly larger and better painted scale for the second series.
I still like the new Dodson look though.

is DCD planning to do a round of same female characters using one artist's style/design for each series? This is definitly a new concept that I have not seen before. I'll be very surprised if this can continue after a few series

They wouldn't dare release all the same characters. I'm assuming they're doing Wonder Woman again because she's one of the big three and the first one is difficult to find now.

I quite like the look of these and depending how they turn out would be very interested in Catwoman, Batwoman, Cheetah and Huntress.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm not up on my DC continuity outside of Batman and Superman stuff.

Is Starfire one of the Teen Titans, or is it the same character as Star Sapphire who was in the Justice League cartoon?

metaphorge said:
I just don't get the appeal of busts in general.

I feel ya there, I'm a butt guy myself! HAOOOOO!

Seriously, I do prefer FULL statues, why not just sculpt the other half yo?!?!?!

I think there are three things about mini busts that appeal to most collectors, they take up alot less space than statues and therefore you can have a lot more characters without sacrificing space and they're also much cheaper as well.

I also think the main focal point of the statue is the upper body and face of a character anyway, so you get that at a cheaper price.

Now the appeal of actual busts is how soft and warm they are and how you can put your head on them like a pillow and make them bounce up and down:D

Starfire is the orange chick in the purple bikini from Teen Titans. She's Dick Grayson's true love.

Darklord Dave said:
Starfire is the orange chick in the purple bikini from Teen Titans. She's Dick Grayson's true love.
I beg to differ DD, but Barbara Gordon is Dick Grayson's true love. Starfire falls more into the category of "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with". Check out the recent "Nightwing Annual" for a tale of that triangle and a little more.

The only busts I picked up in the first series were Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl, mainly because I have been looking for half-decent statues of Supergirl and Batgirl and these busts were the best I have found.

I was not particularly impressed with the rest of the series, and I also am not too fond of the face sculpt on the Series 2 Wonder Woman. So I will probably give this series a miss.

Im offing my series one!. Thats sucide to follow the same path as one of the greats!... DCD sucks anyways there paint jobs are not even industry standard, You know somethings up when 3rd party can produce better product then you!... Prehapes DC should buy out kyubosia. ( dunno how to say or spell it)

Back