Does the popularity of a movie really mean that much to how a popular figure is?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterToyNYC

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this question for some time. Although the answer may be apparent with the performance in sales of certain figures, I'm still curious.

The figure that comes to mind is the Van Helsing figure. I'm a big vampire fan and had high hopes for this movie, but unfortunately it was a very weak. Regardless, I still own the Premium Format and 12" Van Helsing figures. I just think it's a really cool looking figure. My collection mostly consists of figures that I think are really cool looking. I don't have to be too familiar with them. If it looks cool, I gotta have it. For example, in my collection, I have the Medicom Full Metal Alchemist "Edward Elric" and "Alphonse Elric". I have never watched this cartoon, nor do I now anything about it, but they look so cool I had to add them to my collection. I'm currenty hoping to add the 12" Stay Night figure. This is another charachter I just saw for the first time a few weeks ago. Very cool looking!

So the question is, does the popularity of a movie really mean that much to how a popular figure is? Would you not buy a figure because the movie was weak or worse, if the movie really sucked? I'm sure the average toy buyer I'm sure buys what's popular, but what about you, the real collector?

I'd love to hear you thoughts.

Thanks.
Eric

Since you use the term POPULARITY on both sides of the question, it would seem that a direct relationship is highly likely. Speaking for myself, I could not care less what anyone in the entire world thinks of what I like. It makes no difference to me if anyone else loves it or loathes it.

gideon said:
Since you use the term POPULARITY on both sides of the question, it would seem that a direct relationship is highly likely. Speaking for myself, I could not care less what anyone in the entire world thinks of what I like. It makes no difference to me if anyone else loves it or loathes it.

Ok, let's change "popularity" to "success". I'm more interested in if the movie is a success with you. Let's say you're a big Batman fan and you love the look of the latest movie version of Batman, but you felt the the movie tanked. (Which it didn't :) ) Would you have any hesitation in buying a statue or figure based on that movie's version of Batman?

Eric

Last edited:
LOTS of people hate Highlander.

I bought the whole line.

LOTS of people didn't like Legend.

I bought the 1:1 bust and have the PF on order.

LOTS of people never heard of Spinal Tap.

I bought the whole line.

You get the picture. I buy what I like. I dont care how "popular" the film was or is.

But in general, I do believe the popularity of a film greatly affects the sale of figures.

King Darkness said:
LOTS of people hate Highlander.

I bought the whole line.

LOTS of people didn't like Legend.

I bought the 1:1 bust and have the PF on order.

LOTS of people never heard of Spinal Tap.

I bought the whole line.

You get the picture. I buy what I like. I dont care how "popular" the film was or is.

But in general, I do believe the popularity of a film greatly affects the sale of figures.

WHA?! I bought the Darkness figure on the popularity factor!

Now you're telling me he isn't well known? Dayum! TIME TO CANCEL!

FRICKING NOT!!!

To me it all depends on what I like or don't like. Even if the Rambo or Terminator figs would have bombed, I still would have bought them. :rock

MisterToyNYC said:
Ok, let's change "popularity" to "success". I'm more interested in if the movie is a success with you. Let's say you're a big Batman fan and you love the look of the latest movie version of Batman, but you felt the the movie tanked. (Which it didn't :) ) Would you have any hesitation in buying a statue or figure based on that movie's version of Batman?

Eric

i think i know what you're asking. merchandising is always tied into what hollywood guesses is a blockbuster. if they guess right, the movie and the merchandising are successful in terms of sales. if they guess wrong, they take a dump and lose $$$ big time. you will also see movies that have no business being promoted as much as they do, but they're there on your tv screen. sometimes even being re-released after fixing some bad parts or changing the title. they even try to convince you something is great when it isn't.

movie makers are always looking for that perfect blend of script, star and the ability to reap enormous merchandising profits. think of it this way, if the movie character has an action figure/doll made of it, it probably is a potential or verified blockbuster, or one hollywood is trying to convince you of. only you can say if it's good or not in terms of what you're willing to spend on it. or one man's trash is another man's treasure.

The popularity of a movie doesn't hurt, but it's the fan base that contributes to the popularity of a figure. Movies like This is Spinal Tap, Highlander and Legend have been around long enough that they have huge fan bases. There are plenty of people willing to buy figures or statues.

Give Van Helsing another 20 years and you might have people who would kill for figures.

When I buy any licensed good, it has to appeal to me both as a character, and as a toy. Somewhere in between, but if it's lousy quality, I won't bother, no matter how popular.

It would be scary if Van Helsing develops a cult following after 20 years.

Amanaman said:
It would be scary if Van Helsing develops a cult following after 20 years.
Yeah, that might be stretching it! :lol But that's how things happen. A new generation sees a movie and the following grows.

To some people, yes it matters, the hype of the moment gets them. It has affected me at times as well. If a movie is screamingly popular, then yes the merchandise will sell more to the general public, but the fan base will always buy what they would buy anyway, regardless of the "popularity". Like Star Wars. I think that the fanbase will ALWAYS buy what they want, but when a film is more popular/high profile, it has a tendency to bring in the casual fan/heat of the moment buyer.
The popularity of the film can also affect how much $$$ someone is willing to spend on said character. People will plunk down a fair chunk of change for Star Wars or Trek stuff, but not so much for I, Robot, Van Helsing, even the Matrix, comparitively.
As for me, I have SOOO much crap, I have to pick an choose what I buy. A good example is as of late, I was looking forward and had pre-ordered all 4 RAH Spiderman figures. The black suit, the red and blue suit, Venom and Peter Parker. I was very excited by the film and loved the series up to the point I saw #3. Then the film vastly disappointed me and I cancelled the figures. Still, the film is wildly popular, but it didn't work for me, so I am buying no merchandise. On the flipside, my friend REALLY likes the Species series and will get most everything he can related to Sil. He even has the Don Post full size statue. We all know the movies sucked raw eggs, but it doesn't matter to him. So really, to each his own.

Hmmmm. I bet Hot Toys could pick up the Species licence for nothing. It would make a neat figure.

Last edited:
ragacin said:
As for me, I have SOOO much crap, I have to pick an choose what I buy. A good example is as of late, I was looking forward and had pre-ordered all 4 RAH Spiderman figures. The black suit, the red and blue suit, Venom and Peter Parker. I was very excited by the film and loved the series up to the point I saw #3. Then the film vastly disappointed me and I cancelled the figures. Still, the film is wildly popular, but it didn't work for me, so I am buying no merchandise.

This is what I'm talking about. Do you no longer want the figures because you were not happy with the movie? Do the figures no longer look cool to you? Did the "bad" movie change your view of them? What happened?

This is one of the reasons I keep telling Sideshow that they need to release merchandise while the hype is up. I'm curious how the Spiderman statues will do. They're not scheduled to be released until the 4th quarter of '07.

Eric

For me, like what King said, if a certain character was interesting enough or the costuming was eye-catching, I could care less about how the movie performed in the box office, I want it.

I buy what I like.

BUT being popular does better the chance of more figures from a line being made. Example, the Hogans Heroes line is not complete.

MisterToyNYC said:
...I don't have to be too familiar with them. If it looks cool, I gotta have it. For example, in my collection, I have the Medicom Full Metal Alchemist "Edward Elric" and "Alphonse Elric". I have never watched this cartoon, nor do I now anything about it, but they look so cool I had to add them to my collection. I'm currenty hoping to add the 12" Stay Night figure. This is another charachter I just saw for the first time a few weeks ago. Very cool looking...

I agree with you! I can like a figure/statue just for it's look and don't have to have any knowledge of it's source material.

And if you are talking about the Azone Saber 12" figure, it is exceptional!!!

Whether the film/TV series/game was good or not highly effects my chance of buying the merchandise.

I love symbiote spiderman. The comics were cool and the figures so far released of him are cool (Secret Wars and Toy Biz). I also liked the black suit from SM3 when I first saw it. But after seeing the film and being highly disappointed I decided not to buy any symbiote spiderman merchandise based on the film. I still love the comic related merch, just not the movie related pieces.

It can!

Look at how millions of $$$ were spent on those awful Star Wars figures in the '70s!

Despite the fact that they were the the cheapest figures possible and set figure design back 20 years, those terrible figures are still considered valuable! :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Yes, popularity is very influencial. Ever wonder how Power Rangers stayed on the air for over 10 years??

Just wait, in the future; Power Rangers will be a source of nostagia and a series of "reimagined movies" as well as a valuable figure license for companies like Sideshow. I can't wait for the the Sideshow PF Mega Zord!:eek

I'm still waiting for the Gobots movie.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Maybe we'll just get lucky and that asteroid will hit soon.

Just wait, in the future; Power Rangers will be a source of nostagia and a series of "reimagined movies" as well as a valuable figure license for companies like Sideshow. I can't wait for the the Sideshow PF Mega Zord!:eek

I always loved the Zords well at least the original like two of them. The ones original Megazord will always be my favorite along with the Dragon Zord. Those were truly awesome when I was 8 years old. I actually have the old Bandai versions of the those as well as the second Megazord and The Tiger Zord somewhere.

Back