Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

ironman1188

I don't know if it will even be possible but I'm all for trying.

If you are interested in seeing this line continue please email me with your name, address and email addy.
Also include the ONE figure you would most like to see.
Send them to :
[email protected]

I am trying to compile a list of people from different areas/forums that Sideshow could be approached with.

Thanks!!

Hey IronMan1188 I just wanted to post a little tidbit i wrote for another forum. Come on SS don't let us down!!

*TV series not included*
-Three pack of Ape-O-Nauts with floating capsule (new sculpt Milo)- $150.
-Scientist Milo - with foot stand and banana (Exclusive) -$45.
-Armando (new sculpt) with Chains for Caesar and anti ape poster - $50.
Slave Aldo (New sculpt) in Red Jumpsuit with broom and dustpan, garbage can and cigar (exclusive) - $55.
Orangutan (new sculpt) in Orange jumpsuit with various weapons.
Chimpanzee Lisa (new sculpt)- bottle of wine and blanket (exclusive) $50
Governor Breck (new Sculpt) with book of Names and video monitor showing Ape uprising - $55
Macdonald (new sculpt) with electrocution bed - $60.
Ape Riot Squad member in Anti Ape gear with riot shield and shotgun (exclusive) $50 -$55
General Aldo - with burning torch $45 -
Virgil (exclusive) with 12" Caesar statue - $55 - $60

Accessories, diorama display, or Play sets:

-Sinking Icurus backdrop prop
-Slave wagon
-Ape Police HQ with holding Cell, desk, chair, Anti human Poster, Ape flag!!! And burning torch (TV series) -
-Ape House and Catwalk with net dropping action
-Stuffed Human with lobotomy on display for Ape Museum.
-Subway tunnel Backdrop
-Forbidden Zone Scarecrows
-Alpha Omega Doomsday Bomb with stairway platform
-Mini statue of Liberty Prop
-Burning City backdrop from Escape from the POTA
-Tree Prop with Little Chimpanzee Caesar Jr. from Battle POTA
-Rear school bus door with battle damage includes "No Apes Allowed" sticker and working LED "No Crossing" lights also from Battle for the POTA.

I like your ideas but your prices are worse than Sideshows. I would, of course, need them all, but might have to revert back to ebay for some at those prices. :lol
And not including the TV series!!! Blasphemy!!!

You're right about the prices being high but I tried to allow for a $10 - $15 price cushion. I wanted to seem as realistic as possible. SS has been charging close to these prices without changing head sculpts or including any major accessory. Besides having new sculpts these would have low production runs so the price would have to be swallowed by the collectors.

Good point, but with Sideshow having just about the highest prices for their own product, they could absorb that minor cost unless providing significant accessories.

Cheers to that! Well add me to your list. I'd like to see Sideshow strengthen this line.

If I have any success saving the figures, I'll think about trying the statues next.

I would love to see this line saved. But we must try to be impartial and as realistic as possible in regards to expectation. We will never see the kind of roll out Sideshow did initially with the line... announcing 5-6 figures at a time. Best case scenario, we could possibly plead a couple more figure from them.

Rabid fandom offers it's own brand of clarity... one that is rarely shared by people outside your collective bubble (or your own mind). So getting carried away with possibilities (see Stickman's list) is not the way I think we should approach this. Don't get me wrong... I think that most if not all of Stickman's choices are inspired ones... if they were suggestions for an already healthy figure line. As we all know, that is not the case with the Apes line.

I think that IF we were to mount this we should not let our "fandom" get in the way by asking for elaborate additions to the line. REMEMBER, to the suits at Sideshow, the PRIME APES of the classic film series (Zaius, Cornelius, Zira, Ursus) with modest edition numbers DID NOT SELL. Some retailers have stopped ordering Ape figures altogether from Sideshow due to slow sales (I know the store where I bought the first wave of apes did not order any of the Beneath stuff). So our selections should reflect that... some item that could be offered as an exclusive to the Sideshow website with a modest edition size. If I had to choose, my personal favorite figure to be made would be Virgil. But I fully understand that he is not a realistic choice given the circumstances. It would only categorize my selection as a "fringe" one. I doubt that this figure would sell the amount needed to break a profit.

A reasonable selection could be Caesar from Battle. In fact, I'm surprised that he wasn't offered up as an exclusive in the same way that Astronaut Brent/Slave Brent was. The existing Caesar exculsive (with a mere paper circus poster as the SOLE bonus accessory) only underscores Sideshow diminishing faith or interest in the whole Ape line. Sideshow already has the Caesar head made and the clothing patterns from their Cornelius figure at their disposal. They could offer this figure with very little added cost to themselves... therefore they can offer it in a low edition size AND perhaps make a profit. Which is why they would make the figure in the first place... to make a profit...and not to simply fulfill some entitlement that we Ape fans seem to think we have.

Also the set of Ape-O-Nauts, as a selection, with the use of two pre-existing heads and the creation of one pattern for all three spacesuits, might prove to be a solid consideration. In terms of demand, the Ape-O-Nauts are from an iconic moment within the WHOLE film series which would also, perhaps, help sales. However, packaging them poses a problem. Should they be offered separately or as a set? If you make them separately then Sideshow might find themselves saddled with the one that doesn't sell. Also individual boxes for each figure might prove to be more labor intensive for Sideshow. Also, do you make two Ape-O-Nauts or three? A boxed set of three Apes might be considered too expensive even for the rapid fan (I would buy one in a second, but that is me). A set like that might find more buyers on the secondary market when the price bottoms out... which does Sideshow no good. Perhaps a two pack of only Cornelius and Zira in space suits might be a good compromise.

Another possibility would be General Aldo... although not my favorite ape (I'd STILL get him though). He could be constructed using already fashioned parts and accessories... perhaps saving enough on materials to allow for a whole new head sculpt (as a proper Aldo would have to have). In this regard, an Urko or Galen figure might also be a possibility, even though the television series is deemed by the general collecting community (sorry Ironman) to be less worthy of representation... less classic. Sideshow might not want to dip that far down into the world of the Apes.

The underlining question is simple. What amount of figures does Sideshow have to move in order for the figure to be considered, in a business sense, a figure worth making? I do not know the answer to this question. I can only assume that it would have something to do with the amount of energy and material brought to bear to create the figure. SO that number would end up being on a sliding scale depending on the figure.

All I'm saying is that we need to keep this in mind... to keep a proper perspective of the situation... if we want to see any additions to this wonderful line. It will be an uphill battle...

SO NOW FIGHT LIKE APES!!!

Then I'd have to vote for a new sculpt gorilla preferably Slave Aldo in red Jumpsuit. I agree with your idea of the Ape-O-Nauts being iconic to Escape from the POTA, I also feel that the gorilla in red jumpsuit is iconic to Conquest POTA and would be a strong choice for future figures.

My choice would be an Ape-O-Naut. All three would be great, but I'd settle for any one. A gorilla in red jumper from Conquest would be a solid second choice.

I'd also love to have Urko from the television series. He'd be an easy one since they already have everything they need to make him happen.

Iron Man, I'll be sending you my info, so you can add me to your list.

I am trying to compile a list of people from different areas/forums that Sideshow could be approached with.

what is your plan? to approach sideshow with a list of people who will pre-pay for figures even before they go into production?

I also feel that the gorilla in red jumpsuit is iconic to Conquest POTA and would be a strong choice for future figures.

I agree, this would also be a great suggestion to present to Sideshow.

I think ProtoZaius is right in his thinking.

Sideshow can continue the POTA series, on a limited basis, but only if it's cost effective. And that means re-using as many existing materials as possible.

A "Battle" Caeser, as he described, is do able. Maybe with the addition of a satchel bag and submachine gun. That kind of stuff isn't that big a deal if it's not included. There was so much 1/6 scale stuff produced over the last few years, that it wouldn't be too hard to find the right kind of submachine gun to give Caeser if Sideshow doesn't.

The "Conquest" Gorilla shouldn't be a problem for them. Re-use their first Gorilla headsculpt and reuse the Caeser jumpsuit pattern in red.
21st Century Toys produced those "shields" the apes commandeer, but in black. A quick silver paint job and it'd be almost perfect.

I'd love to see a Julius. Ideally a unique headsculpt would be prefered, but I'd accept them re-using their initial Gorilla headsculpt. That's not as big a deal for me as them attempting to re-use Cornelius for Caeser (glad they ultimately didn't do that). The gorilla tunic, pants, boots and club from the Gorilla soldier can all be used, with the addition of a "glyph" on the tunic. Their existing Ape handsculpt in black can re-used as well as Taylor's cigar and slave Taylor's collar.
The uniquely styled ape broom would be great, but that's something that would have to be sculpted from scratch. Also a small section of fire hose would be great, but again, that's something that would have to be created from scratch for them. That's also not too bad if they don't include that because it's possible to find 1/6 scale firehoses out there.

Finally, I'd love to see a "Beneath" Gorilla soldier. I really loved that image as a kid, of a whole army of Gorillas marching in the desert.
Again, they can re-use their Gorilla soldier, as is, with the addition of the submachine gun (already produced for excl. Ursus) and maybe also Ursus' pistol and holster attached to his bandolier.
They'd have to do some new tooling, but he'd have to have his backpack. Other accessories could be a flag and bugle.
Ideally, a new, slightly different gorilla headsculpt would be prefered. Similiar to what Medicom produced in their two different Soldier Apes. Their Soldier w/machine gun had a headsculpt that was a little reminiscent of one of the many "background" ape masks. A cheesy cop out for the movie makers, but an accurate representation of what was in the movie.

I hope the line continues, but if it doesn't I just want to thank Sideshow for making what they have so far.
I've enjoy this line the most in my years of 1/6 scale collecting.

-Ray
www.rayalma.com

Great comments all. Ursus3978 I like your Julius figure idea. I once asked SS to make an Ape Holding Cell with one wall looking wet.
Has anyone altered or added to their SS apes?
I wanted to share a few tips I've tried that have worked well.
*all add-ons are SS unless noted*
-Gorilla Soldier - Ape Marauder - Sideshow Exclusive- I've add an SS BOA - Prussian Knapsack with beige blanket and Slave collar. Another welcomed addition would be Hasbro's Gorilla Sergeant's net if only it were brown.
-General Ursus- A burning torch from SS's 8" Frankenstein. If you have this accessory you should try it. It works great for the Ape line.
-Gorilla Soldier1- Regular- Looks great with Ursus' MG
-Gorilla Soldier2- Regular- Glued club to rt hand and printed a miniature copy of the Planet of the Apes comic book cover Aug #23 "No escape for Mankind" for his left hand.
-Gorilla Soldier3- Sits on Dragon-Models horse readying his rifle.
-Slave Taylor- Added Bearded Taylor's head, soiled body further with dark shoe polish, removed smock. Sits on Dragon-Models horse with Nova.
-BPOTA Taylor - Added SFX blood to Tunic and right hand, Used Original Astronaut Taylor Head.
-Slave Brent - Added bullet hole to forehead using SFX wax and blood. Darkened bloodstains on his back from pink to a more realistic darker color. Soiled body further with dark brown shoe polish, not too much. WOW! Isn’t enough to describe this figure.
Astronaut Brent - added bearded Taylor's backpack.

I'd love to see a Julius

Amen to that! He is by far my favorite gorilla... I still get chills when he yells at Taylor "SHUT UP, YOU FREAK!!" This is before the "gorilla bashing" started in the film series when the writers began characterizing them "warmongers" (beginning with Beneath). Currently, he is available ONLY as a Kubrick. :(

However, I think if Sideshow re-used their generic gorilla head for him, it would be a mistake. Same with General Aldo, I think a generic head should only be used for other generic characters... like gorilla soldier for slave Conquest gorilla. Sideshow has a reputation to uphold so I don't think they would run the risk of putting out something that will make them appear to be "too cheap". Julius has that extra long neck hair that makes that character unique.

I don't think Julius would be out of the realm of possibility. However, I think Sideshow probably thinks that they have already covered the first film and was well into the second film when they ended the line. It would be nice to have something from each of the five classic films. They might think doing Julius would be a step backward. Just a thought....

But overall, still a solid choice.

I hope the line continues, but if it doesn't I just want to thank Sideshow for making what they have so far.

I feel the same way! I think is very important to tell Sideshow this. Click on "Contact Us" and fill out a Customer Service form". Like I stated before, I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to talk to sculptor Mat Falls, to thank him personally for his efforts on the Ape line. I could tell that the Ape line meant a lot to him as well.

A few kind words can go a long way.

Darth Kared, my plan is to give my very best try at saving this line. What way will have the best chance depends on how many fans who want to save the line actually respond.

ProtoZaius, I wouldn't expect to see 5-6 more figures from this line all at once. I would be quite pleased to see 1 good one every half year. As for Stickman's list...it shows how much could have been seen in this line. If Virgil is who you most would like to see, then don't settle for a second choice.
I agree with you that a Caesar from Battle would be one of the easist figures for them to make [although the tunic glyph was not part of Caesar's attire] and probably one of the few, if not only, that I would accept a "kitbashed" figure from Sideshow.
The ape-o-nauts, while not my favorite, certainly has been asked for plentifully. But, this IMHO would have to be a set of all three. Unless you're redoing the Power Records version, there were always 3 chimps getting out of that ship, even if they were wearing suits that we never saw any of the other crews wear. And a Sal Mineo Milo would be a most welcomed addition. Bearing in mind that Cornelius and Zira are already done, and that you only need to make one suit for all 3 and a Milo head, I would hope too see a boxed set for about $100. Aldo could conceivably be done using parts from both the gorilla soldier and Ursus but, as you said, a new sculpt is a must. The TV series less worthy? less classic? I don't know about that. There are a few forums based on the fandom of the series, and early responses have, even surprising me, had a good number of TV oriented characters.

Ursus3978, if Caesar from Battle is to be done, then he shouldn't need for us to find an accurate vesion of his weapon made by another manufacturer. Sideshow should produce the satchel and weapon. Again, a Conquest Gorilla would be great, but reusing that first head would be a mistake. If anything, they could make an Aldo head [he was in that film, just not Akins] and could then reuse that one to give us the General. And again, Julius would be a nice addition, but not with that first sculpt. The gorilla Soldier is "acceptable" only as he was a background character. To use that sculpt for any other gorilla would be an atrocity. A Beneath Gorilla would also be nice but, again, with a decent sculpt. Yes, the movie makers copped out but let's count the gorilla soldier as Sideshow's masked version and get a new, better sculpt.

Stickman, adding or altering the line?? I've done a few changes so far. I switched Taylor's head with that of Eydylhands version. I used an Ape-Joe uni with SST tunic and boots, put them on a BBi G3 with Eydylhands movie accurate gorilla sculpt and I just switched Ursus to a G3 and got rid of the helmet he came with in leiu of Hasbro's which at least drapes to the correct length. I would certainly like to see some pix of your upgrades.

Here's to hoping that this will all have some positive effect on Sideshow and we'll see at least a few more 1:6 offerings!!

My gut is telling me that we haven't seen the end of the Apes.True,it hasn't sold as well as expected...but I like to think the creative forces that drive Sideshow are not only in it for huge profit.Somewhere down the line I imagine Aldo,Ape-onauts,jumpsuit Gorilla and perhaps Julius will be made.

Thanks Ironman,
I don't have a digital camera yet but hopefully soon. Do you have any photo's you could share? I'm interested in switching Ursus' helmet with that of Hasbro's to. How did you do it?

although the tunic glyph was not part of Caesar's attire
Well duh. :thwak

I really didn't think I needed to state the obvious. Sorry if you were confused about the omission, Ironman.

this IMHO would have to be a set of all three. Unless you're redoing the Power Records version, there were always 3 chimps getting out of that ship, even if they were wearing suits that we never saw any of the other crews wear.

Oooh, nice geek reference... Power Records. And for the record (pun intended), I have them as well.

Sorry, again Ironman... I just don't share your "all or nothing" attitude. I just find it problematic to ask (or demand) Sideshow to release a THREE pack (something I believe they have done ONCE with their Spinal Tap figures but ONLY as a retailer exclusive re-pack) with a hefty price tag of about $100-$125 just to appease us completists. With that price I have no doubt that MANY fans of the figures will wait for the price to drop before they purchase it... which again does Sideshow no good. OF COURSE I WOULD WANT THEM ALL!!! But I would settle for whatever Sideshow decided to produce that would be financially feesable for them.

As for the space suits NOT ever being sported by any of the other human astronauts... well, if they did then the suits wouldn't STILL be on the Icarus.;)

I ALWAYS thought that the space suits that the Ape wore in "Escape" were, in theory, special protective suits that the human astronauts would use for explorations in deep space (perhaps to repair something on the outside of their ship during flight like in "2001"). What if they landed on a planet without breathable air (like IF after Taylor asked the atmosphere to be read and the air found to be unbreathable)... wouldn't they need suits like that to sustain themselves? Since the air was found breathable, we didn't see the suits. I'm sure Brent probably ran the same tests. Pretty simple.

Now... why the Apes are wear them in the first place (besides the OBVIOUS cinematic touch) is another matter.

My gut is telling me that we haven't seen the end of the Apes.

Strangely, I can't help feeling the same way. I hope we are both right and it's not just wishful thinking.

got rid of the helmet he came with in leiu of Hasbro's which at least drapes to the correct length.
I followed your example, Ironman and popped off Ursus's helmet and replaced to with the Hasblow version. It looks FAR better now. Although I think the sides are a bit too long now and the helmet makes the head look a little smaller overall. Still, a VAST improvement.

It's strange to think that in this case Hasblow designed something better than Sideshow. :thud

Back