I am living in the absolute pinnacle of the Golden Age of toys.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ever since the early 90s, I would think "Man, toys can't get any better." And every five to ten years, they DO.

Stuff I had that I adored 10 years ago is antiquated now. Every time there's an upgrade to a character, it blows my mind.

I can't help but look around my room and feel like I've made it to Valhalla....and I'm not even one of these high end spenders except for rare must-haves. I'm in no way a completionist, either.

I was out of two a few days and I got back to my room and was just blown away at how much amazing stuff I have. I don't like to think about what it cost, but screw it, that's just money and money comes and goes.

We like to complain and be negative a lot; not only is it human nature but I think it's collector nature too.

But who's with me, feeling the opposite these days?? You look around the man-cave or the wall of Detolfs and think to yourself (or your inner child)...."Man...this....is....AWESOME."

I hope we all experience that more often that not. That's supposed to be the point after all....fun and satisfaction, not frustration.

I got so much amazing stuff in 2018 my head is still spinning. I hope all my fellow freaks are out there just savoring the feeling of living in these "peak collection" times. It's a wonderful life!

I always think how lucky I am to be able to afford these things....

Its another reminder after a crappy work day that I make a good living while most people do not....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I remember reading in Toy Fair like almost 20 years ago I'm sure; if I remember correctly it was a Blade movie figure winning figure of the year and being AMAZED it had toe articulation.

I always think how lucky I am to be able to afford these things....

Its another reminder after a crappy work day that I make a good living while most people do not....

I agree, consider myself blessed to be able to afford some of these. I have a brother in law that cannot afford them and was very glad to buy him his first one this year! He is a huge Boba Fett fan so I got him the Hot Toys ESB deluxe Boba Fett!!!

I agree, consider myself blessed to be able to afford some of these. I have a brother in law that cannot afford them and was very glad to buy him his first one this year! He is a huge Boba Fett fan so I got him the Hot Toys ESB deluxe Boba Fett!!!

Thats awesome.....its an addiction so hopefully he can steer clear of it.

Looking forward to seeing what the future has in store for the collectors out there! These are indeed fun times to be in the hobby, for sure!

New figures in general are amazing, but i’m Finding myself being drawn back to the nostalgia of the figures and toys I had or more importantly couldn’t have in the 80’s. I really love my vintage Star Wars figures in particular.

I went through that "buying back the lost/unaquired toys from childhood" phase around 1999-2003. Glad I got it out of my system before ebay really exploded.

I enjoy the new stuff more, cause the old stuff is getting fragile and shouldn't really be handled anymore. Old Transformers and GI Joe's are so brittle now as the plastic is breaking down after all these decades.

This is so true. I look at the stuff coming out these days and cannot believe the cult properties that are getting toys, extremely high quality toys at that. Meanwhile, every new modern IP gets a great toy, too. It’s an absolute golden age.

The quality level is so high across the board now, too. I focused my collection on 1:6 stuff back when I started because it had the best detail/quality. But if 1:12 had been the quality it is today back then, I probably would’ve never bothered to get into 1:6.

But if 1:12 had been the quality it is today back then, I probably would’ve never bothered to get into 1:6.

Agreed. As amazing as Hot Toys is, and let's face it, they were the game changer in the industry, I still can't help but look at 12 inch figures as dolls. And they take up more room. I vastly prefer the figures at half the size, and you're right, with lines like One: 12 and Mafex and SHF, the quality is catching up.

Back